Mega 75w90 testing thread!

Not sure what the exact year was but ford switched from a 140 to a 90 in the 10.5” sterlings somewhat recently with no change to the diffs or application.
Here’s my UOA of Redline 140wt
50K miles
2018 Ford F250

9FAC8492-715D-44D1-9C4A-582B95CC1344.jpeg

Not many applications seem to call for them, and the folks that do have them never seem to test them.

However, I do have to ask, do you have an application that calls for a 140 grade gear oil? The 75w90 HPL is robust enough that Richard Petty’s car haulers use it with no failures, that seems pretty stout to me?
I run 75W-140 in my F150 and F350 and the Toyota Tacoma ,,, the 75W-140 in the Toyota is over kill but then over kill is underestimated.

Not sure how to really interpret the data. Can one put these in order, if possible?
You could, but your interpretation will likely be different than someone else’s, and because of different reasons. I should have the pour point and Brookfield data for the 6 newer oils soon.

But, back to the comparisons: there are differences especially in really cold temperatures, but unless you live in those temps there’s no point in prioritizing that. On the wear tests, if you never tow there are some really good low-load wear results; if you tow heavy those choices may change slightly.

As @dnewton3 has referenced before, a shortcut to finding a good gear oil without this data is to simply pick one off the SAE J2360 QPL list.

Was the Valvoline listed on here the white bottle/blue label (conventional?) High Performance 75W-90 or the SynPower 75W-90. Looking at their packaging, both contain a limited slip additive.

If we need some results on SynPower, just bought 12qts to do some diff series on and could send in some to Blackstone for a VOA. Also have some Amalie 75W-90 (w/o LS additive) that I could send.

...had about a 1/4 of a quart of John Deere GL5 75W-90 that I could've sent in but I mixed it with 1/4 quart of the leftover Amalie I had left for the 54D mower gearbox (whoops!).

Was the Valvoline listed on here the white bottle/blue label (conventional?) High Performance 75W-90 or the SynPower 75W-90. Looking at their packaging, both contain a limited slip additive.

If we need some results on SynPower, just bought 12qts to do some diff series on and could send in some to Blackstone for a VOA. Also have some Amalie 75W-90 (w/o LS additive) that I could send.

...had about a 1/4 of a quart of John Deere GL5 75W-90 that I could've sent in but I mixed it with 1/4 quart of the leftover Amalie I had left for the 54D mower gearbox (whoops!).
Synpower

Update on the Brookfield and Pour Point tests: it appears I had not clearly communicated to the lab which tests we needed run, so they were not accomplished with the data above.

Great news is, the lab is very meticulous and still has the remaining amounts of the quarts donated by @ford250 and @SNWMBL, and will run the tests over the next coming days. So, due to my error there will be a delay, but the lab is coming to the rescue! Stay tuned…
Still tuned ...

Still tuned ...
Still waiting on lab. As posted earlier, I asked a big favor from the lab for all this testing, so we’re at their mercy (grace?) awaiting results. Considering each oil had testing that amounted to at least 75x what each quart cost, a little wait isn’t that bad. In reality, there’s already plenty of data about the 11 gear oils in this thread for the 99% of people who live outside the Arctic Cirlce to make their decision.

Trust me, the board will get the data posted within minutes of when I receive it. I’m as eager to see the results as you are. Thanks for being patient 😎

Trying to apply this info to my current situation.

Money has gotten tight, and rear diff on my Transit has gotten leaky. Only 82000 mi. In a semi-perfect world I would install an Eaton TruTrac Torsen rear diff, and use appropriate fluid ( no friction modifier, synthetic NOT preferred???). But must fix the leak, and replace the factory fill (82k), no Torsen this year.

Here are factors I considering.

Ford spec is75w85
Tall roof Transit van, near 10 ft tall, though only 7500 Gross weight (typical), but lots of aero drag
Most mileage is highway, but considerable off-road (10-15%)

Does anyone know how different Mobil 1 is from Mobil Delvac 1?

I may have to use a fluid a local shop will accept (or source). Lots of Valvoline lovers here, but I’m not…though for gear oil, not a hater; though not overly impressed with its performance in this shootout.

I really liked the Amsoil SvG, but considering I might be looking for only 12500-25000 mi solution before swap to Torsen, maybe it is overkill. As much as I like HPL, I can get Amsoil for less (though not near as cheap as Delvac),so for the moment will rule out HPL (at Torsen time, will reconsider).

It pisses me off that a year ago I would have done this myself, now, “old-man-back” makes me a target of shops (not just dealerstealers).

Last edited:
Trying to apply this info to my current situation.

Money has gotten tight, and rear diff on my Transit has gotten leaky. Only 82000 mi. In a semi-perfect world I would install an Eaton TruTrac Torsen rear diff, and use appropriate fluid ( no friction modifier, synthetic NOT preferred???). But must fix the leak, and replace the factory fill (82k), no Torsen this year.

Here are factors I considering.

Ford spec is75w85
Tall roof Transit van, near 10 ft tall, though only 7500 Gross weight (typical), but lots of aero drag
Most mileage is highway, but considerable off-road (10-15%)

Does anyone know how different Mobil 1 is from Mobil Delvac 1?

I may have to use a fluid a local shop will accept (or source). Lots of Valvoline lovers here, but I’m not…though for gear oil, not a hater; though not overly impressed with its performance in this shootout.

I really liked the Amsoil SvG, but considering I might be looking for only 12500-25000 mi solution before swap to Torsen, maybe it is overkill. As much as I like HPL, I can get Amsoil for less (though not near as cheap as Delvac),so for the moment will rule out HPL (at Torsen time, will reconsider).

It pisses me off that a year ago I would have done this myself, now, “old-man-back” makes me a target of shops (not just dealerstealers).
When you do the Torsen, you could capture the Amsoil in a clean (new?) container and reuse it?

Back