Motul Gear 300 & HPL Differential Life 75W90 VOA comparison!

Been following BITOG for a while and signed up because of this thread. I’m in AK so shipping oil isn’t feasible but I would PayPal $20 if you were willing to purchase a quart of Valvoline SynPower 75w90. The cases of 12 on Amazon are only $99 which comes out to $8.25/qt. I run this in the transaxle of my UTV with 300sh mile OCI’s so cost is a big factor. I would love to see how this one stacks up against the top tier oils and it looks like other members would like to see the same. This stuff have better specs than almost anything else in its price range on the shelf.

I’ve ran Mobile 1, Valvoline SynPower, Motul Gear 300, Amsoil Trans & Diff and Amsoil SVG. A couple of these I would not run again.

Awesome news… a couple members that will be mentioned when the results are in have donated for testing:

1. Motul MotylGear 75w90
2. Delo ESI 75w90
3. Ravenol VSG 75w90

Just waiting on UPS to deliver those last two; any more volunteers with a quart of their favorite 75w90 to put up against these competitors?

Awesome news… a couple members that will be mentioned when the results are in have donated for testing:

1. Motul MotylGear 75w90
2. Delo ESI 75w90
3. Ravenol VSG 75w90

Just waiting on UPS to deliver those last two; any more volunteers with a quart of their favorite 75w90 to put up against these competitors?
Draining RL 75-140 gear oil tomorrow and sending off a UOA
Be interesting info

Draining RL 75-140 gear oil tomorrow and sending off a UOA
Be interesting info
My HPL 75w110 just went in about 300 miles ago. Even at the rate I’ve been driving for the past 18 months (25k/yr) it will be late 2027 at the earliest when it comes out. Most likely, with testing every 50k and topping it off, it will last the rest of my life/ownership without issue or a complete change 🤣

Forgot if I linked this or not… will tidy up with a couple more links to the tests in this barrage.

PDSC is a thermal oxidation test; higher result means oil takes longer to oxidize & therefore thicken.

Attachments

• IMG_2466.jpeg
    IMG_2466.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 7
My HPL 75w110 just went in about 300 miles ago. Even at the rate I’ve been driving for the past 18 months (25k/yr) it will be late 2027 at the earliest when it comes out. Most likely, with testing every 50k and topping it off, it will last the rest of my life/ownership without issue or a complete change 🤣
All done
Sample ready to mail
As far as color the Redline looks really good after 50K miles
So we’ll see in a few days

Not sure about this one - every GM G80 I’d do one early change - clean magnets - fill with Delvac 1 for +/-40k-60k cycles - you could put it back in the bottle at each OCI …
Along came Dana’s back in my life - and CarbonSteel had posted what looked like a 20k no matter what (about what DN3 says an engine can take) break in …
Started with Valvoline 140 synthetic and then quit wasting money - finished break in with their Dino and a white bowl … (see the particles) …
Now doing Delvac 1 yearly …
I don’t think a “better” gear lube would have changed that …

I don’t think a “better” gear lube would have changed that …
I think you’d be surprised. The HPL 75w90 is robust enough that Richard Petty’s NASCAR hauler semis use it for the whole season plus.

That’s not to say it’s the only one worthy- the Amsoil turned in phenomenal wear & shear numbers but is not the best option if you have super high diff temps. Motul & RL put up very good numbers as well.

We haven’t seen compare numbers between the Delvac & Valvoline, but based on several members’ anecdotal evidence, I doubt they will be anywhere near as good, which seems to be borne out in your experiences.

I think you’d be surprised. The HPL 75w90 is robust enough that Richard Petty’s NASCAR hauler semis use it for the whole season plus.

That’s not to say it’s the only one worthy- the Amsoil turned in phenomenal wear & shear numbers but is not the best option if you have super high diff temps. Motul & RL put up very good numbers as well.

We haven’t seen compare numbers between the Delvac & Valvoline, but based on several members’ anecdotal evidence, I doubt they will be anywhere near as good, which seems to be borne out in your experiences.
Doubt that - he used Amsoil SG and that’s seriously good lube …
No correlation I can see - Delvac 1 carries many long range and HD truck approvals - and popular with the Porsche track crowd …
I’m getting it for under $12/quart …
My Jeep is under an hour to change front/rear …

Doubt that - he used Amsoil SG and that’s seriously good lube …
No correlation I can see - Delvac 1 carries many long range and HD truck approvals - and popular with the Porsche track crowd …
I’m getting it for under $12/quart …
My Jeep is under an hour to change front/rear …
I don’t think there’s a ton of difference in most rear gear oils to be honest
I think the biggest problem is 90% of owners don’t or never change the rear diff
So anything new to the rear gear is a welcome site !!!👍👍

I’m open… trying to be of service to the board. Looking to get the “good” options though just so people making higher tier choices can see if their money is well-spent, and how they all compare.
Do you have any factory gear oil to sample like
Motorcraft GM Mopar Toyota…etc ???
If not I’d be glad to supply a quart
Be interesting to see what the factory’s are installing

Do you have any factory gear oil to sample like
Motorcraft GM Mopar Toyota…etc ???
If not I’d be glad to supply a quart
Be interesting to see what the factory’s are installing
I’m personally open to whatever you’ve got. I’d say pick either your best feeling or worst feeling as far as what you’ve got on hand… never pick milquetoast 😉

Back