Mega 75w90 testing thread!

@ford250 @SNWMBL @Impatient and maybe more (sorry, it’s been awhile!) contributed samples for this test.

We’ve imported the other 75w90 tests from my other thread here, and also add these 75w90s:
Shell Spirax
Subaru HP
Ultra Plus (cool clear bottle!)
AC Delco
Valvoline Synpower
Ravenol VSG
HPL non-CC Diff Life

Somehow, I misplaced the Motul Motylgear so that didn’t get submitted. Apologies. Lab also included foaming results, but I have not read the ASTM method yet to determine the pass/fail criteria. Looks like vsl= visual, and tr= trace. Other than that, here’s the two data sets with a few reporting differences, new stuff on top. I’ll see if they recorded all the Brookfield and pour point data so the overall data is the same… Enjoy!

IMG_0034.jpeg
IMG_0033.jpg

Analyzing Foaming Tendency: Foam Test​

The Foam Test measures the foaming tendency of a lubricant. According to this test, also referred to as ASTM D892, the tendency of oils to foam can be a serious problem in systems such as high-speed gearing, high-volume pumping, and splash lubrication. Inadequate lubrication, cavitation, and overflow loss of lubricant can lead to mechanical failure. This test evaluates oils for such operating conditions. Cavitation is the formation of air or vapor bubbles in the fluid due to the lowering of pressure in a liquid, which then collapses (implode) in the higher-pressure regions of the oil system. The implosion can be powerful enough to create holes or pits — even in hardened metal — if the implosion occurs at the metal surface. This type of wear is most common in hydraulic pumps, especially those that have restricted suction inlets or are operating at high elevations. Foaming is a fundamental physical property of a lubricating fluid. Foam can degrade the fluid’s life and performance as well as that of the equipment being lubricated. Even though foam performance often is a defined specification for the new fluid, it’s often ignored on used fluid. You need to understand the reasons for loss in foam control and the methods of controlling this property in a used fluid. A fluid’s foaming property is measured using ASTM D892, which measures foam by three sequences that differ only in testing temperature.
  • Sequence I measures the foaming tendency and stability at 24°C (75°F).
  • Sequence II uses 93.5°C (200°F).
  • Sequence III uses the same conditions as Sequence I, except it’s performed on fluid that has just been measured in Sequence II.
The fluid sample from Sequence I isn’t used in Sequence II. The fluid sample used in Sequence II is carried into Sequence III. The results are reported as two numbers for each sequence. For example, 20/0 means 20 milliliters of foam tendency was measured after 5 minutes of aeration followed by no foam stability (0 ml) after the 10 minute settling time. Most new oil specifications require 10 to 50 milliliters tendency maximum and 0 milliliters stability.

Edited: I didn’t read the last part of your post about the pour point.

Thanks for testing those, I was really curious about the Valvoline which doesn’t look that great on paper.

Last edited:
No pour point for the fluids in the upper box?

Thanks for testing those, I was really curious about the Valvoline.
Yeah I’m reaching out to the lab to see if they had captured that data and didn’t include it. Hope they have it.

No real surprises IMO other than pedestrian results from Ravenol…

Thanks man!!🧍‍♂️ 🙏
As expected from its long successful history, Severe Gear looks even better when compared to a wider view of the market. Have you heard if Amsoil is going to pursue J2360 certification? That seems like it would quiet down most if not all of the remaining points some use to not give it the highest recommendations. I know it’s always done well for me.

Thank you sir !! Your work is very much appreciated. 👍

Now will the gear oil expert please explain the results !!😳😳🤣🤣🤣👍👍

ASTM D-6186 Oxidation Induction Time of Lubricating Oils by Pressure Differential Scanning Calorimetry (PDSC)​

Some greases and oils react with atmospheric oxygen to produce insoluble gums and sludges, which may decrease the performance of the lubricant. To lessen the rate of oxidation, antioxidants are added. This test may be used to compare antioxidants and may predict the relative life of a lubricant. It requires a small amount of sample and it gives results in hours rather than days, weeks or even months as required by other tests.

A small quantity of grease (ASTM D-5483) or oil (ASTM D-6186) is heated to a specified temperature and then pressurized with oxygen. The pressure and temperature are maintained until an exothermic reaction occurs, up to 120 minutes. If the reaction occurs in less than ten minutes, a lower temperature should be tested as per the method (210ºC, 180ºC, 155ºC for grease and 210ºC, 180ºC, 155ºC, 130ºC for oil). The time from pressurization to exotherm is reported.

KRL Testing:

Shear Stability and Viscosity Loss​

Shear TBS.jpeg

Shear stability is an important aspect of lubrication. Most multigrade lubricants are formulated with viscosity modifiers in order to increase the viscosity index (VI) to ensure the lubricant can provide a sufficient film thickness to protect the equipment or engine from wear. Viscosity modifiers (VM) tend to be polymer based chemistry that are susceptible to shear thinning. When a lubricant undergoes shear thinning, the viscosity of the fluid can be lowered by an entire ISO grade leaving moving parts in danger of wear or seizure. To ensure the stability of the fluid’s viscosity, tests are performed to analyze behavior under shear stress and temperature.

VM Polymer

There are two types of viscosity loss from shear, temporary and permanent. Temporary viscosity loss is where polymers in the fluid are stretched which cause thinning. However, this thinning is reversible once the shear stress is removed. Permanent viscosity loss is not reversible as shearing the fluid causes breakdown of the polymer by rupturing the macromolecular chains. When the shear stress is removed, the viscosity remains lower and never returns to the level intended when the lubricant was formulated. Shear stability is a key attribute lubricant formulators work to optimize based on the requirements of the engine manufacturers as new technologies are developed.

KRL (Tapered Roller Bearing)

Four Ball

The KRL shear test uses a tapered rolling bearing in a cup fitted to a four ball instrument. Load is applied to the bearings as they are rotated at a certain RPM for a specified length of time. The test is typically run for 20 hours. KRL is considered to be one of the most severe shear tests and is used for driveline fluids and gear lubricants. The unit can perform standard methods such as CEC L-45-A-99, DIN 51350/6, and ISO 26422:2014. Savant offers CEC L-45-A-99 Modified for KRL testing.

Viscosity Loss

Tannas TBS 2100

With each of the shear degradation methods, the viscosity is analyzed before and after the permanent shearing of the fluid. The fluid can be analyzed with ASTM D445 Kinematic Viscosity to determine the Permanent Shear Stability Index, per ASTM D6022. The fluid viscosity can also be analyzed under high temperature high shear (HTHS) conditions using the Tapered Bearing Simulator (TBS) and a low shear rotational viscometer.

Before and after viscosity values at both high shear and low shear rates are used to construct a Viscosity Loss Profile (VLP) from which the overall viscosity loss can be uniquely calculated and visualized. The VLP gives a simple visual appraisal of a fluid’s efficiency and effectiveness. Many examples of this data can be accessed through the Institute of Materials Online Database.

As expected from its long successful history, Severe Gear looks even better when compared to a wider view of the market. Have you heard if Amsoil is going to pursue J2360 certification? That seems like it would quiet down most if not all of the remaining points some use to not give it the highest recommendations. I know it’s always done well for me.
J2360? Unknown what the mothership Amsoil thinks. I will ask. But it's a specification and a listing, not a certification.

J2360? Unknown what the mothership Amsoil thinks. I will ask. But it's a specification and a listing, not a certification.
Well, I meant doing the testing and submitting to the review board to make it onto the qualified product list. May not “technically” be a certification, but it’s certainly close in intent. 👍

This is an amazing thread and collection of data, SubieRubyRoo! A huge thank you to you and the many donors of fluids. This has brought about a change in my thinking and will help a lot of folks make better informed gear oil selections in the future.

With 5 gallons I would be all set for a while.
In my opinion
I think the Shell Spriax is the sleeper of all the test
It’s cost is low compared to the high end products and it scores very well for daily drivers like the majority of most drivers

Back