Mobil 1FS 0W40, Honda Civic Type R FK2 , 2279km racetrack

There's no way it was only €3,200. They would've spent way more than that on just fuel for the engine testing plus the man hours, cost of the engines, analysis, etc... Are you sure it wasn't €32,000? Even that sounds low.

It's right. VW fees are about 1.300-3.500€ for typical approvals.
It works in different way. Big cost is from homologators, they are big base oil producers and additive producers (or both). Approval is commercial permission only, big boys make the chemistry and rest buy base oils and that chemistry to sell it.

Last edited:
I think you're referring to the licensing fee, not the actual approval testing. Haltermann EEE was ~$2,500 a drum back before the pandemic, and they'd use dozens of drums for that testing.

Last edited:
I think you're referring to the licensing fee, not the actual approval testing. Haltermann EEE was ~$2,500 a drum back before the pandemic, and they'd use dozens of drums for that testing.
It is approval, not licensing fee.
We were blending oils with our own base stocks and cannot remember from who we were buying additives. Having VW504.00/507.00 approval was absolute must on that market, or you are not in the game.
Cost of testing oil, which I was involved (field testing) costed us one Golf V 2.0tdi, One Skoda Octavia A5 1.9tdi and one Polo 1.2tdi, plus all labor hrs etc.
But sending samples of oil and getting approval from VW was 3,200 euros.
There is no point if you make cost of approval too expensive. Many small blenders would never do it. Car manufacturers want as many oil blenders to get approved as it makes oil choice easier for car owners.

It is approval, not licensing fee.
We were blending oils with our own base stocks and cannot remember from who we were buying additives. Having VW504.00/507.00 approval was absolute must on that market, or you are not in the game.
Cost of testing oil, which I was involved (field testing) costed us one Golf V 2.0tdi, One Skoda Octavia A5 1.9tdi and one Polo 1.2tdi, plus all labor hrs etc.
But sending samples of oil and getting approval from VW was 3,200 euros.
There is no point if you make cost of approval too expensive. Many small blenders would never do it. Car manufacturers want as many oil blenders to get approved as it makes oil choice easier for car owners.

That cost was for the licensing fee to be able to put the approval on the label and PDS, which you were able to do only by abiding specifically to the exact formula for the additive package purchased. Said additive package and formula can have that approval because the additive company spent six figures to have that additive package tested for that approval.

The company you worked for did not do any testing, nor submit oils for testing, pertaining to that approval. They submitted paperwork for the oil they were blending, along with a licensing fee, and in return got permission to advertise the approval.

That cost was for the licensing fee to be able to put the approval on the label and PDS, which you were able to do only by abiding specifically to the exact formula for the additive package purchased. Said additive package and formula can have that approval because the additive company spent six figures to have that additive package tested for that approval.

The company you worked for did not do any testing, nor submit oils for testing, pertaining to that approval. They submitted paperwork for the oil they were blending, along with a licensing fee, and in return got permission to advertise the approval.
What else did we do? I can’t remember anyone resembling you being there.
I posted here few years ago documentation. You can dig it. I was about to find it later when I get home to repost it, but since you know what happened, obviously no need.

I'm still thinking between full and midsaps? Would like to know that my engine is well protected while it is in the garage for four months. Oil change every year or at the latest after 5000, that's all I drive. Does fullsaps or higher TBN make sense or is it harmful?

I chose mobile 1 fs 0W40 for the winter time that the car spends in the garage. Most would prefer fullsaps as long as the vehicles do not use a particulate filter. I somehow trust the many clean engines with the mobil 1 the most, even if the experiences with amsoil are consistently positive by most.

Back