Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (SP) | 6,000 miles | 2018 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300 | 77,000 Miles

Click HERE for the previous UOA result (Fram 0W-30 Non-euro oil)

Here’s my second UOA result and this time on Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (SP). Changed to M1 FS 5W-40 (SP formula) after this.

I’d appreciate your comments and feedback.

Oil: Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (API SP Formula)
Oil life: 6,000 miles
Vehicle: 2018 MB GLC 300 (2.0 Turbo)
Mileage: 77,000 miles
Driving Conditions: Mix of city and highway - Almost always smooth & easy driving style

IMG_0774.jpeg

Last edited:
Low wear numbers and strong TBN reserve. In typical M1 0w40 fashion it's now a 30 grade. That oil is really a 30 grade in service 90% of time.
thanks for your comment. Filled with M1 FS 5W-40 sp formula and curious what the results will be on this next run. However, please note that I was running fram 0w-30 before this.

I agree with the report comment that the viscosity loss has something to do with the previous fill. Some say up to 20% of the oil stays in the engine, which would mean a significant impact on the viscosity. This oil's viscosity starts at 13.4 cSt. Factor in 20% of 9.6 cSt from the previous fill and the viscosity without shear or fuel dilution would be about 12.6. So there's still some significant viscosity loss from 12.6 to 10, which could mean shearing (which this oil is known for), fuel dilution (which BS can't measure properly), or perhaps more than 20% carryover. We won't ever know for sure.

Wear metals are favorable compared to universal averages. Total metals average are 19/7.6 = 2.5ppm per 1000 mi. Your most recent run was 13/6.0 = 2.2ppm per 1000 mi.

Starting TBN for this oil is 10.4, and you ended at 5.5 in 6k miles, suggesting you could've run this oil to over 11k miles if you so wished.

Overall, an excellent report. I'm curious to see how the 5W40 does next time around. Do you have any mileage goals for the next run?

I agree with the report comment that the viscosity loss has something to do with the previous fill. Some say up to 20% of the oil stays in the engine, which would mean a significant impact on the viscosity. This oil's viscosity starts at 13.4 cSt. Factor in 20% of 9.6 cSt from the previous fill and the viscosity without shear or fuel dilution would be about 12.6. So there's still some significant viscosity loss from 12.6 to 10, which could mean shearing (which this oil is known for), fuel dilution (which BS can't measure properly), or perhaps more than 20% carryover. We won't ever know for sure.

Wear metals are favorable compared to universal averages. Total metals average are 19/7.6 = 2.5ppm per 1000 mi. Your most recent run was 13/6.0 = 2.2ppm per 1000 mi.

Starting TBN for this oil is 10.4, and you ended at 5.5 in 6k miles, suggesting you could've run this oil to over 11k miles if you so wished.

Overall, an excellent report. I'm curious to see how the 5W40 does next time around. Do you have any mileage goals for the next run?
Great analysis, thank you! I’m planning to do 3k on this 5w40, at most 4k.

@FreeWoRLD given your climate and use case, there's no reason for you to use any motor oil that starts with 0W. The VII are all but ash in that Mobil 1 FS 0W-40. That engine runs hot, and shears oil, especially when it passes through the turbo bearings.

What I've found is that 5W-40 oils don't do that much better either, because of VII. If you want a solid 5W-40, I'd look at HPL Supercar/Euro 5W-40.

Here is what I would run in that engine from least expensive to available, to most expensive and hard(er) to get:
  1. Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 (HTHS 3.6)
  2. Mobil 1 FS 5W-30 (HTHS 3.5)
  3. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 (probably HTHS 3.6)
  4. HPL NO-VII Euro 5W-30 (HTHS 3.5) - this motor oil doesn't have any VII in it, so it won't shear.

@FreeWoRLD any chance you could get Blackstone to run your sample one more time? It's not the first time where they make a mistake on the operating viacosity, I've seen it happen before. @TiGeo had an instance recently where BS measure HPL Euro 5W-40 wrong.

I'm only asking because we could be making assumptions about M1 0W-40 based on faulty info.

That 2.0 Turbo has very nice power density for its displacement. The Mercedes GLC is really nice. 👍

@FreeWoRLD any chance you could get Blackstone to run your sample one more time? It's not the first time where they make a mistake on the operating viacosity, I've seen it happen before. @TiGeo had an instance recently where BS measure HPL Euro 5W-40 wrong.

I'm only asking because we could be making assumptions about M1 0W-40 based on faulty info.

That 2.0 Turbo has very nice power density for its displacement. The Mercedes GLC is really nice. 👍
Good idea, I’ll ask and keep you guys updated.

I ran some M1 0W40 and BS showed a 100 cst in the low 10...I believe it thins out quite a bit.

Indeed, however, you ran the old formulation. The new one formulation is quite different. It will be interesting to see if the second analysis is any different.
I haven't been keeping up on the M1 0W40 formation changes....TLDR...what are the high points?

Post caught my eye as the owners of a new 2021 GLC300 4Matic SUV. They changed the oil spec on the later model, as I understand due to the cat. filtration to avoid clogging (???). Anyway, as someone has suggested M1 ESP 0W20 is now specified (229.31, 229.51, 229.52.) I use M1 ESP 0W30, to put something in the bank anticipating a degree of fuel dilution. Wife's car, mainly short/ultra short trips here in cold Michigan.

Car appears to be running well and anxious NOT to compromise warranty so remaining within manufacturer alternative spec. options.

Last edited:
No more POE, they switched to comb polymers, and a GTL+AN baseoil formulation, the add pack is Magnesium + Calcium now, API SP compliant. Still nearly 1000 ppm Phosphorus, 80 ppm Trimer Moly.
Eh, will still thin out is my guess...just less CA for LSPI.

Reactions: wlk
Eh, will still thin out is my guess...just less CA for LSPI.
I always thought that M1 FS 0W-40 was designed this way. It's the "fuel efficiency" motor oil in the entire FS lineup. Way back when, Mobil used to advertise it as fuel efficient motor oil. In fact, today they advertise Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W-40 as being more fuel efficient than Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30. Go figure...

Vitamin Yoda, just added to my post.
MB 229.71 and MB 229.72 are 0W-20 motor oils. If you want a good affordable and easy to find MB 229.51/MB 229.52 motor oil, I recommend Pennzoil Platinum Euro L. The difference between MB 229.51 and MB 229.52 is that 229.52 has to be a little bit more fuel efficient. The add pack that this oil uses will also pass Porsche A40 testing, and qualifies for MB 229.52 approval. It's good & cheap. For a turbo engine, I would steer clear of 0W oils, unless climate dictates it.

Back