Mobil 1 ESP X3 0W40, 1694km oci, 22557 km, Honda Civic Type R K20C1

This is my UOA from my Type r. The second analysis was the Fresh oil analysis from the esp x3 After the oil change.

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpeg
    IMG_0375.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 162
You hopefully are still running this oil? With 1694km it didn't need to be changed. TBN would be helpful next time.
I would stick with the midsaps for best catalytic converter life, seems to be protecting fine.

I had contact with a German tribologist, he works for a large German premium manufacturer. He thinks that fullsaps is the "better" oil. Midsaps oils should only have been developed on the basis of particle filters. If we didn't have particle filters today, everyone would still drive fullsaps. The TBN was at 7.75 in the current analysis.

I had the oil changed at the annual inspection at Honda.

I had contact with a German tribologist, he works for a large German premium manufacturer. He thinks that fullsaps is the "better" oil. Midsaps oils should only have been developed on the basis of particle filters. If we didn't have particle filters today, everyone would still drive fullsaps. The TBN was at 7.75 in the current analysis.

I had the oil changed at the annual inspection at Honda.
I'm sure it depends on the exact products being compared. Both ESP X3 or FS are fine for your K20C1. ESP X3 is near the upper limits of SAPS for C3.

I had also asked the tribologist whether the deposits will be higher with a fullsaps engine oil, since TBN in particular can also form ash. He said that the sulphate ash only has an impact on the exhaust gas aftertreatment. Now that everyone somehow says something different, I asked here again. Does it also make a difference which oil you use if the car is in the garage for five months in winter?

I had also asked the tribologist whether the deposits will be higher with a fullsaps engine oil, since TBN in particular can also form ash. He said that the sulphate ash only has an impact on the exhaust gas aftertreatment. Now that everyone somehow says something different, I asked here again. Does it also make a difference which oil you use if the car is in the garage for five months in winter?
I think it's reasonable to assume deposits will be a bit higher with the FS oil. There was one Lubrizol study that compared full SAPS to mid SAPS oils and concluded intake valve deposits were reduced with C3/MS, but the study was criticized by some for using a sub-par FS oil. I'm not sure if the level of calcium or magnesium detergent has an impact, someone else here might be able to answer.

I doubt it makes any difference while parked. That ESP X3 has plenty of TBN anyway.

What do you think can happen if you fill a too thick Moror oil, in this case sae50 or sae60 into such a vehicle? Can it happen that the bearings run hot because the oil volume flow is slowed down? Damage the oil pump because it has to pump thicker oil permanently?

What do you think can happen if you fill a too thick Moror oil, in this case sae50 or sae60 into such a vehicle? Can it happen that the bearings run hot because the oil volume flow is slowed down? Damage the oil pump because it has to pump thicker oil permanently?
The oil pump will go into relief if the oil pressure gets too high, but I don't think this will happen at operating temp at least with a 50 or 60 oil because even a 10W-60 is about 23 cSt at 100C. A 0W-20 can be maybe 45 cSt at 40C. So the 0W-20 when cold is still much thicker than 10W-60 when hot. I don't think it would damage anything as long as the oil pressure stays reasonable, but there will be more heat from the losses. My guess is it would be ok but not ideal. Someone else here may be able to give you a better answer.

Back