Oil Brand consideration Mobil 1 to Kirkland

I’ve used 0w-20 Mobil 1 on my wife’s 2016 LE Camry, daughter’s 2011 Camry (both with 4 cylinder) and my 2017 Tundra 5.7l Limited and up till this year using an established 10k mile oil/filter interval. Im 70 yo but still change the oil on these because of the high probability of some random shop mechanic screwing up my cars. A real issue in SE Fla.
Even with my good used oil lab test results, I decided to fall back to a 5k oil interval, on a 3 vehicles.
So, now the consideration. With less demanding intervals, I’m considering going to Kirkland 0w-20 full synthetic.
Is that Kirkland oil good enough for this 5000 mile interval? See any drawbacks on this obvious cost savings change? I’d love to see a Virgin lab test of the Kirkland 0w-20 full synthetic?

It is my understanding that the Kirkland oil is identical to the WalMart Supertech. Both being produced by Warren Distribution, Inc. Warren acquired Unilube years ago, so they are one large lubricating oil producer.

As to whether it is as good as M1, I'd say probably not. I've only seen results from the Warren Synthetic 5W-30.

Why's that?
M1 xW-20s are loaded with VIIs and have medicore HTFS (base oil viscosity). Ravenol and Pennzoil do a lot better in these grades.

These days when everything can be shipped to your house so easily ... the only reason I would buy Kirkland is if I was already going to Costco for other stuff. I have Walmart + that brings things to my house. Same for Sam's club with home delivery. Maybe Costco does home delivery? I don't know. Also Amazon delivers oil and eBay too.

FWIW I used Kirkland 5W-30 for years on all of the cars in my family and can't say I've ever had an issue, but hard to say if this is saying much.

I switched to using PUP or Mobil 1 5-quart jugs around 2017 or so when I noticed they had rebates (was $25, but last year only $20 back for (2) 5-qt jugs per household) which brings the price down to about the same as Kirkland off-the-shelf (~$38 vs $60-20 = 40).

Even though I do relatively short OCIs with the cars, I like having more "margin for error" for roughly the same cost, so if cost is the consideration here, consider the rebates when making a comparison. Of course, the downside is it's less convenient and takes a little forethought.. Roughly, I'd start looking for rebates in March/April/May.

W8BTD3J.gif

...the high probability of some random shop mechanic screwing up my cars. A real issue in SE Fla.
It's not just SE Florida! I've lived in five states since the 90s and somehow managed to find mechanics in every state that screwed things up! Even the Honda dealer effed up a few minor things on my Odyssey. These days I do all my own repairs, not just basic/simple stuff.

As for the original question about 5k OCI, I concur with others that the specific brand doesn't matter as long as the oil meets spec and is from a major producer/blender. Get the one that's on sale + a rebate.

At 5k any oil brand will do as long its certified. Brand at that oci is more personal choice.

In the words of a famous thread that had bitogers shook to their core, when oil is oil, why are we not using supertech for everything in a 5k oci?

Someone should prove it with data

Back