Oil Brand consideration Mobil 1 to Kirkland

Kirkland 5k oil change intervals will be mor beneficial to your engine than mobil1 every 10k miles

Kirkland may boost oil supply with proposed $259M Bottleneck refinery expansion​

Just outside of the Gulf, Texas – Kirkland (non-Advanced) today announced the successful startup of its Wholesale Warehouse-backed refinery expansion project, which adds 250,000 five quart jugs (0w20-5w30) per day of capacity to a few thousand of it's Wholesale stores. Corporate intentions are to wipe Mobil-1 Vanilla off the face of the earth.

Kirkland may boost oil supply with proposed $259M Bottleneck refinery expansion​

Just outside of the Gulf, Texas – Kirkland (non-Advanced) today announced the successful startup of its Wholesale Warehouse-backed refinery expansion project, which adds 250,000 five quart jugs (0w20-5w30) per day of capacity to a few thousand of it's Wholesale stores. Corporate intentions are to wipe Mobil-1 Vanilla off the face of the earth.

Not Warren Distribution?

I don’t think a generic oil sold in Costco (only) is going to wipe Mobil 1 off the face of ANYTHING! XOM is just a LITTLE bigger…

I’ve used 0w-20 Mobil 1 on my wife’s 2016 LE Camry, daughter’s 2011 Camry (both with 4 cylinder) and my 2017 Tundra 5.7l Limited and up till this year using an established 10k mile oil/filter interval. Im 70 yo but still change the oil on these because of the high probability of some random shop mechanic screwing up my cars. A real issue in SE Fla.
Even with my good used oil lab test results, I decided to fall back to a 5k oil interval, on a 3 vehicles.
So, now the consideration. With less demanding intervals, I’m considering going to Kirkland 0w-20 full synthetic.
Is that Kirkland oil good enough for this 5000 mile interval? See any drawbacks on this obvious cost savings change? I’d love to see a Virgin lab test of the Kirkland 0w-20 full synthetic?
You said you "established" 10k with M1. If by established you mean UOAs show that's a good and safe interval, why change? (@tig1)

In S FL I'd be using 5w30 but that's me.

But to answer your Q, KS should be totally fine at the shorter interval - and likely will be fine at an even longer interval as well.

Cost Drawbacks - M1 is around $5/qt. Got my most recent shipment of KS for around $3.60/qt. So the KS will be slightly more expensive at the shorter interval....but if you stick with M1 @ 10k, it's the less expensive option.

Cost Drawbacks - M1 is around $5/qt. Got my most recent shipment of KS for around $3.60/qt. So the KS will be slightly more expensive at the shorter interval....but if you stick with M1 @ 10k, it's the less expensive option.
You’re right. Even assuming you rounded the figures, say KS regularly for $15 and M1 regularly for $30, it would be a complete wash. No actual saving to be had doing it this way.

Kirkland synthetic should easily be good for 10k intervals since it's the same stuff as Supertech synthetic, which is rated for 10k.

You said you "established" 10k with M1. If by established you mean UOAs show that's a good and safe interval, why change? (@tig1)

But to answer your Q, KS should be totally fine at the shorter interval - and likely will be fine at an even longer interval as well.

No, I haven't had a reason to do UOAs in the last 45years using M1 oils. UOAS are good for checking the condition of the oil, such as coolant, dirt, or fuel contamination, not much else.

You have three Toyota‘s in a warm climate - and I don’t believe any of your three have direct injection - you could run olive oil for 10,000 mile intervals and wear metals would still be less than 1ppm per 1,000 miles.

Kirkland will be fine for 5,000 intervals.

I ran the Kirkland in the Cruze I sold to my son back in the spring. With 110k miles at a 5k oil change the blackstone sample came back with quite a bit of life left in it. I usually do 5k changes in my stuff just because buying oil and filters on sale and having a ready supply on hand means I spent less than $20 on a full syn change.

There is no evidence that Mobil1 is better than Kirkland. Its an established brand name with a lot of marketing. Still remains to be seen that you actually getting anything more out of Mobil1 vs Kirkland

🍿🍿

M1 xW-20s are loaded with VIIs and have medicore HTFS (base oil viscosity). Ravenol and Pennzoil do a lot better in these grades.

Keep in mind those calculations are ESTIMATES and may be off, considerably. Different types of base oils really seem to have a considerable impact on the figures for example.

While a very interesting exercise (and I give Gokhan props for putting in the work) I'd be very cautious putting any faith in it.

There is no evidence that Mobil1 is better than Kirkland. Its an established brand name with a lot of marketing. Still remains to be seen that you actually getting anything more out of Mobil1 vs Kirkland
Mobil is at least willing to publish some of their in-house limits for the various sequences 🤷‍♂️
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 11.18.09 AM.jpg

Mobil is at least willing to publish some of their in-house limits for the various sequences 🤷‍♂️
Thats true, btw I was referring to regular Mobil1 (not extended performance). People do get solid results on Kirkland/Supertech, so I am not sure why someone would assume that regular Mobil1 can last 10K miles vs only 5K miles for Kirkland, they are likely very close for the same OCI.

Thats true, btw I was referring to regular Mobil1 (not extended performance). People do get solid results on Kirkland/Supertech, so I am not sure why someone would assume that regular Mobil1 can last 10K miles vs only 5K miles for Kirkland, they are likely very close for the same OCI.
Regular M1 is listed there too.

The Warren product meets the requirements for the approvals it carries. Perhaps the Mobil product has better margins on these tests? So then the question becomes, does that matter for Joe Average and his applications? Probably not.

Yes I did a series of 3 10k miles UOA and the TBN and other life metrics look fine.

Back