0W-40 Dexos?

It’s nonsensical though. BMW has been recommending full SAPS in the US for turbo DI engines since 2007. This LT1 isn’t even a forced induction engine so LSPI is not a factor, and the oils are SP now anyway as Overkill mentioned above. The only reason one needs to avoid full saps is if your car has a DPF/GPF. You may get an increase in intake valve deposits over time but that’s not been easily demonstrated or well quantified.
Aren't BMW DI engines notorious for valve deposits?

Aren't BMW DI engines notorious for valve deposits?
Not really. N54 is, but it's not worse than VW EA888 using mid-SAPS oil. PCV design dominates this. There's not a lot of carbon for the mileage on most N55, S55, B58, or S58 engines you see torn down on YouTube. It doesn't appear worse than the average DI-only engine anyway.

I'm not recommending OP use the FS oil and I would stick with ESP/Supercar if I owned one, but I also doubt it would cause harm.

Folks- Mom’s new 2024 Camaro with the 6.2 calls for Mobil 1 0W-40 that is Dexos licensed. In my research, I have found Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar to carry that Dexos approval.

It is a bit spendy. How would Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 Euro stack up? Pretty reasonable in the 12qt box at Walmart.

I am pleased to see that thing calling for a 40wt.
That car had to run $50k conservatively, what’s the cost of oil?

When the vehicle is operated off-road then there are additional recommendations that can be made. Otherwise it must be only the exact oil that was used for fuel economy testing.

The fact that only one oil is listed for the LZ1 1LE indicates that the engine is somewhat on the cusp for HT/HS.
I’ve never heard it put that way - makes sense. 5W30 from now on for the 5.3.

As a retired lawyer who had some experience in antitrust matters, it seems to me that, writing a lubricant spec, that only one lubricant from one supplier can meet. essentially requires the car owner to buy a maintenance product from one supplier, who splits the profit with the car manufacturer. via a licensing fee.

Anyone hear of Moss-Magnuson?

As a retired lawyer who had some experience in antitrust matters, it seems to me that, writing a lubricant spec, that only one lubricant from one supplier can meet. essentially requires the car owner to buy a maintenance product from one supplier, who splits the profit with the car manufacturer. via a licensing fee.

Anyone hear of Moss-Magnuson?
Except I believe the specification is widely available and the cost to get a product is a $1,000 flat fee. It has been long time since I have done anything with antitrust law, but I recall that the Sherman Act allows for reasonable accreditation standards.

Not sure if I had seen M1 Supercar oil at Wally or local auto stores. Are we talking about high viscosity and longer OCI? When I think of Euro-spec oil, I think of long OCI as Europe and to many extend Asia, people just don’t have the luxury of buying motor oil at the stores and the space to work on their vehicles like North Americans, Australians, and South Americans. I just can’t see an average person in Europe with two-car garage, long driveway, or access to rental lift and I traveled there a lot in early 2000’s.

Not sure if I had seen M1 Supercar oil at Wally or local auto stores. Are we talking about high viscosity and longer OCI? When I think of Euro-spec oil, I think of long OCI as Europe and to many extend Asia, people just don’t have the luxury of buying motor oil at the stores and the space to work on their vehicles like North Americans, Australians, and South Americans. I just can’t see an average person in Europe with two-car garage, long driveway, or access to rental lift and I traveled there a lot in early 2000’s.
Yeah, there is much more to approvals than that.

So the M1 Supercar
That engine uses M1 ESP 0W-40, which was Dexos2 and renamed Supercar. They changed spec to DexosR without changing the formula. You can use M1 ESP X3 0W-40 also probably which is the Porsche C40 oil and also has Dexos2, but it's not any cheaper. I'm going to guess that engine could safely run the Euro FS 0W-40 since you don't have a GPF, but I would just stick to the Supercar in warranty period.

So the M1 Supercar is just M1 relabeling 0w40 Euro ESP X3? Nice! I just picked some up from Autozone for pretty cheap. Like $6.25 a quart with the STP XL oil filter bundle. It’s going on til March 4th.

IMG_2341.jpeg

Back