0w-8 has gone mainstream. M1 AFE 0w-8.

I dont want to sound harsh but that is fundamentally wrong and I'm surprised coming from someone who has been on bitog 7 years.
I've got complete faith in it;s ability to protect. It's a 12 year old car with 178k on the clock and it still runs great and gets great gas milage. I was posting as a skeptic to this particular groups reasoning, as in "tell me something bad about it if you can".

I dont want to sound harsh but that is fundamentally wrong and I'm surprised coming from someone who has been on bitog 7 years.
He phrased it by saying others have, not that he believes it.

I can't see WalMart dedicating any sort of shelf space to a product that isn't going to sell. Retail businesses live and die by shelf space efficiency. My local WalMart cleared out all of their 0W-16 because it didn't move. It was the dust collector of the store and 0W-8 won't be any different.

Maybe in 5 years it might become a retail darling. Today... NO.

But if you look at their product line for advaced fuel economy, its not there along with others

But if you look at their product line for advaced fuel economy, its not there along with others
Yeah i noticed that too. Same situation the 20k quaker state had. But i copy and pasted the item name in Walmart into google and that was the first result to pop up.

That is strange, most people follow owner manual and many cars have 0w-16.
Most people don't realise their car comes with an owner's manual, and have zero cares about what oil the dealership or lube shop puts in, as long as they put something in. 0W-08, 20W-60, reheated Crisco, doesn't matter.

I can't see WalMart dedicating any sort of shelf space to a product that isn't going to sell. Retail businesses live and die by shelf space efficiency. My local WalMart cleared out all of their 0W-16 because it didn't move. It was the dust collector of the store and 0W-8 won't be any different.

Maybe in 5 years it might become a retail darling. Today... NO.
Mobil could be compelling them with shelf space agreements. They could even be in cahoots with Toyota, eg, show the masses that 0w8 "is a thing" that's readily available.

Most people don't realise their car comes with an owner's manual, and have zero cares about what oil the dealership or lube shop puts in, as long as they put something in. 0W-08, 20W-60, reheated Crisco, doesn't matter.

The people that have some other place change their oil will not go to wallmart to buy oil.
The ones that do buy oil at walmart for DIY usually follow owner manual….

Man, looking at those specs it sure is thin a high temps. I hope motors can go 200K plus on that.

I have no idea how long this has been available but walmart is already selling M1 AFE 0w-8 directly and at a reasonable price. There's only one review from feb 10.

Here's the info on mobil's site. I'm surprised to see tbn listed and it being 9 as well. With a vii of 144 and that kv 40 and 100 spread it must be majority pao.

The second image with red is motul 0w-8. Seeing hths in the 1's will never not be uncomfortable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-...otor-Oil-0W-8-5-Quart/5040310278?from=/search

View attachment 208221

View attachment 208222
Anything below 2.9 hths in a 0w20 would make me twitch like an old man in a electric scooter driving in to a air biscuit/crop dusting in an aisle of a box store. Before long, people will be topping of with 3 in 1 general purpose oil 😆

Mobil could be compelling them with shelf space agreements. They could even be in cahoots with Toyota, eg, show the masses that 0w8 "is a thing" that's readily available.
Well they are still toyota's oil oem provider aren't they. Not a bad suggestion.

Deep down I'm sure it's probably fine for your Econo box vehicles. If you're going to start tuning and putting Parts on it then I don't think it would hold up especially a forced induction or direct injection as it would dilute the oil

I used to think 0w-20 was too thin for my Subaru Crosstrek. Now I think it’s the ideal weight seeing all the 16s and now 8s.

Back