0w-8 has gone mainstream. M1 AFE 0w-8.

I'm waiting for 0W-0.
You can have it right now. Just blend straight SpectraSyn Mac 3.5 and an Infineum supplied D1G3 DI package, and you have your 0W-0 motor oil. I'm sure the addition of the additive package will bring the kinematic viscosity at 100C to 3.8 without the need of additional viscosity index improvers. As the old saying goes: be careful what you wish for, it might come true.

1710440573376.jpg

You can have it right now. Just blend straight SpectraSyn Mac 3.5 and an Infineum supplied D1G3 DI package, and you have your 0W-0 motor oil. I'm sure the addition of the additive package will bring the kinematic viscosity at 100C to 3.8 without the need of additional viscosity index improvers. As the old saying goes: be careful what you wish for, it might come true.

View attachment 208231
Oil so thin they're now listing the water content in it :cry:

I’m very hesitant to post in this thread. So I will probably post and ghost.

However…

I was at an STLE meeting last year where the main speaker was from Timkin bearing. And the topic was specifically about ULV fluid development in hybrid, EV and next generation vehicles. Timkin undertook this project ~30+ years ago. In fundamentally redesigning the basic concept of the bearing and how to improve it. How to improve the efficiency of bearing and life span with ULV fluids. A lot of it was pretty eye opening to me. Given this was a multi day event with several panels and such. But I’ll try to get the basics down here.

Essentially, they had to go all the way down to the materials they used. They had to re-engineer their steel making, to be able to improve efficiencies of the bearings, to use ULV products. The base steel alloy materials have changed. The components they use to make these new alloys have changed. The way they handle and finish these materials to make parts have changed. The way they finish, handle and store these parts have changed.

All this started in R&D over 30 years ago and it took completely retooling their steel making process and finishing process. And today we are finally seeing the end results of these changes.

Will it work long term? Who knows. I’m not that kind of engineer. I also can’t predict the future.

But what I can tell you, this just isn’t an overnight or a few years of work going into this concept. This is years of R&D. Of creating new products for the future. It might work out long term, it might not. But alot of people have spent their entire careers working on these ideas. ULV transmission fluids, ULV engine oils, ULV gear box fluids. Etc.

Personally, I’m not a huge believer in it. But I also get the motivation to do this. And I have faith in the individuals that are developing these products.

Take it for what it’s worth - someone saying something on the internet.

But what I can tell you, this just isn’t an overnight or a few years of work going into this concept. This is years of R&D. Of creating new products for the future. It might work out long term, it might not. But alot of people have spent their entire careers working on these ideas. ULV transmission fluids, ULV engine oils, ULV gear box fluids. Etc.
Yes, and you know who is paying for all this research and development.

I have always wondered if the resultant fuel savings will equal or surpass the investment.

I've stumbled across quite a few old fashioned thinking saying there's no way 0 weight oil could protect and engine, here and elsewhere.
Of course it can protect an engine. Even a very powerful one, as long as the engine is properly designed for the oil in question. Remember the oil used in turbine engines such as 2380 is about 5cSt, Kinematic 100°C. ASTM D445 mm²/s. 4.97.

However, you are trusting the manufacturer to have made the proper changes to the design. Something that, at least with some makes, and some years, seems not to be happening fast enough.

There is a recent thread about a motorcycle camshaft, and it seems DLC coatings may be used in place of adequate surface area. Once the DLC coating gives up the ghost, problems result. Despite a decade of iterations, BMW and KTM seem not to have gotten it right and early failures are the result.

Of course it can protect an engine. Even a very powerful one, as long as the engine is properly designed for the oil in question. Remember the oil used in turbine engines such as 2380 is about 5cSt, Kinematic 100°C. ASTM D445 mm²/s. 4.97.

However, you are trusting the manufacturer to have made the proper changes to the design. Something that, at least with some makes, and some years, seems not to be happening fast enough.

There is a recent thread about a motorcycle camshaft, and it seems DLC coatings may be used in place of adequate surface area. Once the DLC coating gives up the ghost, problems result. Despite a decade of iterations, BMW and KTM seem not to have gotten it right and early failures are the result.
And now we have polymer coated bearings so engines can use thinner oils but i still don't trust it. Same as those plasma lined bores which start to burn later on.

And now we have polymer coated bearings so engines can use thinner oils but i still don't trust it.
The polymer coated bearings are there to facility Start/Stop tech. Only the bearing that takes the force of the cylinder going down is coated, the other one is not.

Yes, and you know who is paying for all this research and development.

I have always wondered if the resultant fuel savings will equal or surpass the investment.

That is why I’m not particularly a huge believer in it.

But that’s another topic really. I don’t believe in tail pipe emissions as a sole source. I believe we should look at the entire industry as a whole.

But alas. As I said, that’s another topic and also is a much more sensitive topic. My post was strictly on the “how” we got here. Not so much the “why” we got here.

But that’s another topic really. I don’t believe in tail pipe emissions as a sole source.
Industrial pollution, including the manufacturing of electric cars, is among the worst offenders. Personal vehicles are just low-hanging fruit, an easy target. Transitioning to ever-thinner oils is an even lower-hanging fruit, one that doesn't yield any real-world results, except in laboratory test cycles and on paper. At the end of the day, it's the consumer who loses out, while everyone else wins.

Industrial pollution, including the manufacturing of electric cars, is among the worst offenders. Personal vehicles are just low-hanging fruit, an easy target. Transitioning to ever-thinner oils is an even lower-hanging fruit, one that doesn't yield any real-world results, except in laboratory test cycles and on paper. At the end of the day, it's the consumer who loses out, while everyone else wins.

Oh I get it. But as I said, another topic.

Fun fact about me: My mother is a chemist, who worked for many years as a consultant to industry - specifically steel making - to help them comply with environmental regulations.

But again, another story, another topic. Let’s stick to 0w8.

0w0 is in theory possible. I’m just not sure the practicality of it all.

I have no idea how long this has been available but walmart is already selling M1 AFE 0w-8 directly and at a reasonable price. There's only one review from feb 10.

Here's the info on mobil's site. I'm surprised to see tbn listed and it being 9 as well. With a vii of 144 and that kv 40 and 100 spread it must be majority pao.

The second image with red is motul 0w-8. Seeing hths in the 1's will never not be uncomfortable.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-...otor-Oil-0W-8-5-Quart/5040310278?from=/search

View attachment 208221

View attachment 208222
For the rest of my life, I plan to only use 5W-30 Full Synthetic. I'm starting to use Euro HTHS 3.5 oil. So I am unaffected by the 0W-8 insanity.

Last edited:
Back