Marvel Mystery Oil Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still running MMO in my '03 Nissan QR25DE but want to have another couple of tankfuls of data before I try to do any sort of analysis.

It looks like I may have some slight gains in fuel economy.

We'll see ...

--- Bror Jace

Experiment - Take some MMO and an old greasy engine part, like a pulled head and pour some MMO on it, brush it around and wait a day and then wipe it clean. The treated area will look new.

I have been using MMO in the gas tank for years at or below the recommended dosage and the fuel mileage goes up a gallon or two. Overdosage seems to drive mileage down.

M4L

Seeing I created this thread, I have to say that MMO is a great product to use every once in a while, but it is not a product you use every tankful.

It is just not needed that much especially when using a shock doseage.

I have used MMO for many years in all of my vehicles. Something that was passed on to me in the early '60's by my auto shop instructor. I have never had any problems with it. In the engines that I have pulled down, the combustion cambers are in excellent condition.

However, I have ridden several Honda Goldwings which are proned to carburator problems if left to sit for long periods of time. I found that a combination of Techron and MMO usually saves the price of a carburator rebuild in 90% of the cases. That is about a $400.00 to 600.00 savings (depending on who is doing the work) for each bike.

I did find something else, almost by accident. In these Goldwings, if I run a high octane gasoline, and I found that I got worse gas mileage than if I run the lower octane ratings. Right now, I get about 44 city to 48 highway MPG on straight 87 octane gas. However if I put in 1 oz. of MMO into my 6 gallon tank, my MPG goes up about 2 MPG in both city and highway. I also noticed that this happened on the other Goldwings that I have owned in the past. I now carry baby food jars in the bike with 1 oz. of MMO for each fill up unless I go on a trip. On long trips, I keep a quart bottle and a plastic graduated syringe in the saddlebag.

I just bought a Class "A" motorhome, and I am only into the Techron stage of cleaning out the fuel system. I have a 460 cid with a C-6 and 5.12:1 gears and 19.5" tires on it. The coach weighs in at 17530 fully losded. I got 6.5 MPG when I origionally purchased the coach. After just over 1000 miles, I am now getting 7.0 MPG. I don't think that I will get any better mileage, unless I make some radical driveline changes. However the coach runs better than when I bought it. I have not started the MMO treatment in it yet, but will soon be doing so.

"Doc"

I just reread this thread, a lot of good info. I use it in an inverse oiler on a van and in 3 other cars added to the gas. There is a definite improvement in idle quality, and slight gains in gas mileage.

I see most of these posts are about using it in the fuel. I used to add it to the oil for the winter, and during the year add it to the oil about 100 or so miles before an OC.

Does anyone else add it to their engine oil?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by dickwells:
Improvements in lubricity would be confirmed by used oil analysis,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Improvements of the lubricity of the gasoline?"

I stand corrected, wear particles from the fuel system would probably be either collected in a filter or ejected in the exhaust. RW

I ran a test where I ran MMO (about 3-4 ounes in my 11 gallon tank) and my fuel economy increased by a whopping 5% over 6+ tankfuls.

I have the data on my work machine. I'll see if I can post it here soon.

--- Bror Jace

I conducted a test in the spring on a 253 mile road trip taking my daughter to a state competition. This was done in my '97 Nissan Maxima with 4 people plus luggage. All maintenance was up to date (Castrol GTX 5w30 only had 900 miles on it, along with a fresh air filter, new PCV, and throttle body cleaned). Since I routinely run MMO between oil changes, and Techron immediately prior, I assume my injectors and combustion chambers were clean, so any differences couldn't be associated with MMO cleaning anything. Tire pressure was 35 psi all around.
On the way down, I filled up my tank to the first "click" with 89 octane at my local Shell station I normally get gas at, and immediately got on the interstate. We did not use the AC at all, nor have the windows down (it was cool enough in the afternoon to just run the vent). Driving style was conservative, with speed kept at 75mph (cruise control) the entire way. We made one stop for lunch at a quick mart type shop. When we arrived in Baton Rouge, I immediately filled up to the first "click" at the Shell station right next door to our hotel. I averaged 27.22 mpg, with all but 1 mile being interstate.

On the way home, I filled up at the same Baton Rouge Shell station with 89 octane with the very same pump, and again only to the first click. I added 5.25 oz MMO (from an old Lucas UCL bottle I carry filled with MMO). We took the same exact route back home, even stopping at the same quick mart place for lunch. Speed was once again kept at 75mph by cruise control. The car was loaded identically. The only difference with this leg of the trip was that we ran the AC the entire way home. Arriving in my home town, I filled up at the same Shell station I initially got gas at, using the same exact pump, and only to the first click. I got 27.67 mpg.

These were as identical of trips as I could possibly do. Same exact route, time of day, vehicle loading, vehicle speed, and even the same pump at the same gas stations for both legs. The only differences were on the return trip, I added 5.25 oz MMO to my 18.5 gallon tank, and on the return trip we used the AC the entire way (which should have hindered mileage as it usually does in my car). And ambient temp on the way down was in the low 70's, and the way home was the mid 80's. To me, this definitely proves the value in adding the recommended dose of MMO from a fuel efficiency standpoint. It may only appear to be a .47 mpg increase, but keep in mind that was with the added drag of running the AC while the MMO was added. I consistently see almost a 2 mpg decrease in mileage when running the AC, so conservatively I can say I gained atleast 2 mpg with MMO (interstate travel, city could be lower). And considering my buddy gets me quarts of MMO for free, it is definitely worth it. But even if it wasn't free, after seeing this data, I would still run it (it costs about $9.00 for a 1/2 gallon at my local Walmart). If it measurably increases my fuel efficiency, I would think it is also protecting moving parts from wear. So it just makes sense from a maintenance standpoint to use it, too. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me about engine wear can chime in with their thoughts on it.

Running the numbers, at 27 mpg I would get 499.5 miles on a completely full tank (18.5 gallons). At 25 mpg, only 462.5 miles, for a 37 mile difference. A 5.25 oz dose of MMO would cost about $0.75. At $2.30/gallon for gas, that 37 mile difference would cost me $3.40. So I am saving $2.65 per tankful by using MMO. This is only the savings in gas, and not the savings in wear which I would have no idea how to compute. I doubt the wear difference would even be measurable with an oil analysis, although a good idea may be achieved over the life of 2 identical vehicles.

It would be interesting to be able to perform tests like this for several different additives. It would be very nice to see differences between the different "classes" of additives, like UCL's against just fuel injector cleaners. Unfortunately, due to being a disabled vet, I probably won't be making any long trips in the near future. But when I do make my next one, it will probably be with Lucas UCL, which is another old favorite of mine that "seems" to get me better mileage.

Anyways, those are the results from my real-life test. Hope it helps someone in making an informed decision. And possibly spark some interest in posting similar tests with different additives.

By the way, for those who are itching to know, my daughter took third in the state for her 7th grade report on the battle of Khafji (topic was her choice).

Semper Fi,
Dave

Thanks DaveH.

The one thing about your test which is a fault/flaw, is that it is merely two sequential tankfuls. It shows some gains ... but I'd feel better (more confident) in the results if I knew you filled the tank equally each time ... with the 'clicker' on the pump and the way the pump goes into the filler neck, there's room for variation.

My 'test' looked at 8 tankfuls in a row. The average mpg for each tankful is as follows:

28.1 MMO
26.7 MMO
27.5 MMO
28.3 MMO
30.8 MMO
26.8 MMO
27.8 MMO
29.1 MMO

Average = 225.1/8 = 28.14mpg

The 8 previous tankfuls looked like this:

31.1 (Limerock trip)

Average = 215.7/8 = 26.96mpg

26.96 vs 28.14 mpg.

All these tankfuls were summer runs so the average temperature (which affects mileage significantly) was comparable.

That's nearly a 5% gain (actually 4.38%) while using Marvel Mystery Oil ... and the Limerock trip I took where I got the best mileage happened before I started using MMO so all things being equal, I'd suspect the real actual number would be closer to 5% in a more controlled test.

--- Bror Jace

Bror Jace,

I agree with you that my little test can be very unscientific, but I tried keeping any variables to a bare minimum. For a real world test, it's about as close as I could get. Same stations, actual pumps, stop filling at the same first click, exact routes, vehicle weight and close in ambient temp. Only difference being using the AC while running MMO, which should have dropped my mpg by about 2.
I do track my mileage in a spreadsheet, and calculate it to the nearest hundredth. Have been doing it for years. But I find that it can vary based on my driving style and whether I have to make a 30 mile interstate drive on that tank. I have noticed a trend, like you have, that I get better mileage when using MMO. I just can't put it on paper and claim it is all from MMO. Someone would always scream "Too many variables!". Personally, I'll continue using MMO at 5.25 oz per fill-up (18.5 gal tank, usually 14 gallons added per fill).
The trend with your fill-ups mirrors my experience. It's never exactly the same, but when looking at it, it is apparent that running MMO does increase your mileage. Slight differences are expected due to variables beyond our control; it's the trend that really proves if a product works or not. I think MMO definitely shows a mileage increase in my vehicle.
I am wondering about Lucas UCL, as I've used it a lot in the past. Actually, I'm currently using it at 3x dose to de-carbon my piston tops. I should be making an 1100 miles trip this month, so I may try it instead of MMO. Should be interesting.

Shaman, for elevation change, I don't really think there is much of one. Basically from Shreveport, Louisiana to Baton Rouge, Louisiana. If anything, my return trip (when using MMO and running the AC) would have been uphill. But I really think any elevation change would have been insignificant. It's relatively flat through here.

Dave

MMO is made by Turtle Wax. Seems that the main "active" ingredient is simple mineral spirits, at a 20 to 30% concentration. CAS #08052-41-3 for those who care. The rest is apparantly a light oil.

Personally, I'm not wild about running mineral spirits in my engine, but that's just me.

I got some sludge out of my engine and set it in a cup. I then poured in MMO to see what it did. Nothing! Then I added chemtool to the mmo and the sludge liquified. I won't say it completely dissolved, but it became very fine particles. But, as for MMO but itself, it did zip for the sludge.

I'd expect it to do nothing sitting there too. My oiling system uses time, flow, and pressure.

I'd expect any additive to work against sludge if given enough time, flow, or pressure.

We have 5 or 10 minute addtives. Additives that need to be used always in maintenance doses. And, some that like 1500+ miles or more.

i had to fire up the old 12hp snowblower at work the other day. i added about 2oz MMO to a quart of gas to get it fired up for the first time this year. smoked like ****. i then filled it up with regular 89 octane ethanol gas (wont freeze) and it ran better than it has for the last 3-4 years. tomorrow i have to change the oil and grease all of the zerks. i am going to autozone to pick up some mobil1 10-30 and see if i can limp this thing throuigh the season.

With reagrd to the MMO and sludge in a cup, I let it sit there for days. I'd think SOMETHING would happen. Same w/ autorx. I can't wait to see if ITs done anything to my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back