Marvel Mystery Oil Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I just did a fairly big shock treatment in the Accent...

16oz in a full tank of 11.9 gallons then another 16 oz at half a tank. which after a tank of almost all city(A/C was always on) got right on the money at 25-26 mpg which considering A/C was used it could have been higher. Used to shake alot at idle but now it seems to have quieted down some. Second tank we are running a 32oz bottle to 11.9 gallons of gas. So far so good, I will not do ATF though as I am unsure whether it will screw up the cat or not. I don't want to take any chances.

I will say this though, when using a 32 oz bottle make sure you use a funnel. Not enough air escapes because the motuh is bigger when trying to pour it in your tank. It will take FOREVER to get it all in.

That's a tad over 7X the dosage on the back, on the second run. A bit more even at the halfway mark the first time around. Pretty strong, even for a shock dose. Although it is just MMO...

Well I should say that by 11.9 gal. of gas I mean a full tank so there was actually some leftover from the first tank maybe a gallon.
All is right though, car seems to have spunked a bit.

I still think it’s odd that people do 2x, 4x and apparently even as much as 7x the recommended dose with MMO, but no one seems to go beyond the recommended dose with any other fuel system cleaners. MMO is cheap, but so what? It’s not as highly regarded as say Techron, Regane, Redline or even FP. Why not put two or even four bottles of Techron in your tank? Or Regane or Redline? Or double the shock dose of FP? These cleaners generally have a better reputation than MMO, and they are more costly, but this is a board full of people that want the best for their cars, right? We put the best synthetic oil in our cars when, admit it, dino would probably be fine (I know I’m guilty of that). So why not spend a few extra bucks and double the dose of Techron? You’ve doubled the dose of MMO, a product with a lower reputation, so why not?

I should add, I have nothing against MMO. I’ve used it in the past and have gotten good results. I’m sure I’ll use it again. I typically rotate through the various fuel system cleaners I’ve mentioned above (depending what is on sale at the local auto parts store!), plus probably some others. I justify this by telling myself I get the best of each product, while minimizing the worst of each. I doubt it makes a difference, but it makes me feel good…

Welp, you've pretty much said it. The cost of Seafoam, Techron, Regane and others tends to make such actions prohibitive. Adding $3-4 to a tank of fuel for cleaning is one thing. Adding $25-$30 is another
shocked.gif
. FP appears to be the exception. It appears somewhat more passive ..probably due to the perpetual nature of its prescribed use. The shock dose isn't even at par, $$wise, with any of the traditional cleaners/conditioners.

I have yet to note anyone using $6 worth of FP in a shock dose.
dunno.gif

Guys, I believe the directions say, for best results use 4 oz. per 10 gals. of fuel.

I use that ratio and don't worry about it, and best of all, I get the desired results for an economical cost.
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by crw:
It's been around since... the 1930s! Or something
like that... it says so on the bottle.

SNIP

My grandfather used to use it at the Ford dealership he was a junior tech at.
This was his job before he was drafted into the Marines during WWII.
So, yeah, it's old. He says they used to use it to clean engines they were tearing down, not so much as a crankcase additive.

I am purposely going to use her Accent instead of my TDI on a semi long trip because I think long continuos highway drive will really do it some good with this shock treatment. It will give the carbon a chance to get blown out the tail pipe. I am also going to buy 2 more bottles to use in a Tacoma with 100k when we take a long trip to pick up a piece of furniture. It is 6 hours each way which means I will use at least 2 tanks of fuel. He is always skeptical of stuff and I finally got him to try GC and it seems to have smoothed out the engine some but he is not sold yet. We will see
smile.gif

So if Techron or Regane were $1/bottle, you'd put four bottles in your tank at once? Or is that just crazy?

I put 16 oz of FP60 in with approx 1/4 tank of gas then drove to the gas station, put I think 12 gallons of gas in. I didn't see any positive of negatives. Maybe the idle was a bit rougher than it already has been.

quote:

Originally posted by kang:
So if Techron or Regane were $1/bottle, you'd put four bottles in your tank at once? Or is that just crazy?

I would. Maybe then I'd notice all those miracle increases that some people notice
dunno.gif

I've put 32oz! of MMO in my GTi with a full tank. The VR6 engine loves this stuff- really quiets everything down and smooths the engine out. HP does suffer somewhat, however.

I don't think "more" MMO hurts anything although it may not give you any additional benefit. I just viewed it as a good way to clean stuff up.

**** I am in my 3rd MMO batch already, in the morning the water that comes out of the tailpipe you can almost drink it , clear and it used to come out with chunks of black goo... i love MMO.

Once very couple of months, I'll throw in a 16oz bottle with 12 gallons of gas. This ratio works fine in all my fuel-injected engines. Gas mileage suffers for next 600 miles because of leftover MMO in my 2nd tankful, but it smooths out the engine nicely.

Also... if I'm halfway thru a 3K OCI, I'll use a 16oz bottle in the crankcase instead of a half-quart of oil. That's only if I use 10W-30 or thicker oils. Help keeps it clean.

quote:

Originally posted by kang:
I still think it’s odd that people do 2x, 4x and apparently even as much as 7x the recommended dose with MMO, but no one seems to go beyond the recommended dose with any other fuel system cleaners. MMO is cheap, but so what? It’s not as highly regarded as say Techron, Regane, Redline or even FP.

Because it is really hard to do damage when overdosing with MMO - at least in the fuel. That's why I said "Although it is just MMO...". It's not just about the money. I've heard it is also harder to overdose on Lucas UCL, although I've never known anyone to push the line too hard on that either.

A 32oz bottle of MMO is $2.02 at Walmart. The 16oz is $1.84. Been using it the last 6 tanks or so with no ill effects.

I just filled up my tank after my first dose of approximately 4 ounces in an 11 gallon tank ('03 Nissan SpecV with a QR25DE 2.5L engine).

Mileage was ~28mpg ... which is up from the 25-26mpg I get by making many short trips (7.5 miles). This car is easily capable of 30mpg under better conditions.

Nothing conclusive, however, I want to string 4 tankfuls along in a row and see if I can spot a more definite trend.

--- Bror Jace

After 1 year with using FP in the tank at recommeded maintenance dosaage, I decided to use MMO in the last 2 tankfuls. This post made me curious.

The old buttmeter says that the engine IS running noticeable smoother. After reading above I can see the logic - 95 CVPI, with 114K miles, good maintenance - probably some wear on the rings which is helped by the MMO?

Anyway, I'm pleased. Ran smooth before, runs like butter with the MMO!

quote:

Originally posted by Alex P.:
Because it is really hard to do damage when overdosing with MMO - at least in the fuel. That's why I said "Although it is just MMO...". It's not just about the money. I've heard it is also harder to overdose on Lucas UCL, although I've never known anyone to push the line too hard on that either.

Now that’s an interesting thought. The Lucas bottle actually has a statement “An over treatment won’t be harmful” or something like that. I don’t recall that statement on the MMO bottle, though. According to the MSDS, it has a bunch of solvents in it, like Stoddard solvent, etc. Most other cleaners are basically solvents too, some solvents are generic and some are proprietary. I’m curious, what makes you think it’s harder to overdose with MMO compared to Techron or Regane? Is it because MMO and Lucas have lubricants and cleaners in them while Techron, Redline and Regane don’t? If so, wouldn’t the same logic apply to FP60? But the makers have warned not to overdose with FP60 on this very board…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back