Marvel Mystery Oil Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just had to go out and try it.

Got a 1 quart bottle of MMO and decided to give it a try in my ole' 1995 Blazer with a 4.3L.

I know it says to put in 4oz/10 gallons but I felt a little frisky and put in a half a quart in my 19 gallon tank.

Already put on about 50 miles and one thing I did notice today is man, is the engine ever quiet.

This is no mental difference, the engine is noticeable quieter and enough for me to notice when I was even looking for it when I was idling at a stop light. Maybe it is getting rid of some of the carbon on the valves?
dunno.gif

I'll let you know how the economy measures up. I have figured out the economy for the last two tankfuls and I am hoping maybe it will clear up some of the carbon on the valves and cylinder walls in my 137,000 mile engine.

I'll let you know how it develops.

Also, I love the smell of this stuff, truly delicious. Smells like thos mint wax lips I used to chew when I was a child before they yanked them off of the market.
grin.gif

Glad to hear you had good results with the MMO. I might have to try this stuff out too. I know you did your water cylinder decarbonizing and you reported stellar results with it. I think we will be anxious to see this results you report back in your economy,,,,AR

Yea, I did get some good results from the water for sure.

I am trying this approach to clean the valves more the the cylinder walls. I will be monitoring if any carbon is dislodged and gets stuck in my EGR valve which my engine is prone to have happen.

Other guys with this engine have already had this problem, although I wouldn't call it a problem when it is getting rid of carbon.

Also going through my AutoRX rinsing cycle at the moment and the oil is clean as the day I put it in still even after 500 miles.

But I do have to say, the engine is definitely running quieter, no real performance boost, but noise levels are down for sure.

I tried MMO in my 91 318i.

Put a little more than 4oz./10 gals. About 1.5x that.

First time I had FP in the tank as well. FP quiets my fuel pump down somewhat. I didnt notice any difference in smoothness, fuel pump noise, or power.

I had to refill the tank. Mileage seemed a little bit higher, considering the amount of traffic that I sat in. However, the difference was not statistically significant.

This time I only had MMO in the tank; no note on mileage yet, but the fuel pump seemed louder. Makes me question the lubricity benefit of MMO vs FP. Im sure there is some, but I dont think there is as much lubricity as FP.

In my truck, I added ~4oz/10 gals of gas. Given the exact same driving profile that I always take the truck on, given the same grade of fuel with FP in it, and with the MMO dose, I noticed that I achieved ~1.5 MPG Higher than fuel with FP alone. I was happy with that result.

JMH

We put a quart of MMO in my son's '94 3.4L V6 Camaro two days ago. It has 90,000 miles on it.

He took a trip to the beach (about 50 miles each way) and noticed that the engine ran significantly smoother and more quietly... most of all, he noticed that it starts right now , compared to the previous cranking time.

In my mind, MMO is great stuff. Is it as good as FP? Probably not... at least it isn't as concentrated, but used in large quantities it is quite effective.

he noticed that it starts right now , compared to the previous cranking time.

This appears to be a favorable side effect of MMO use ..at least in mega dosage. It even outpaces a new set of plugs. Not everyone reports it ..but quite a few do.
dunno.gif
It's one telltale indicator that "something" has happened ..and the apparent symptom is a good one.
smile.gif

I do like the quieter engine.

Would be surprised that the valves are carboned up a bit and sticking.

I am myself astonished with the accomplishment it did on my Isuzu Rodeo 1993 3.2L. The car starts immediately , the only side effect is a bit of blue smoke right after starting sometimes, and I think it has to do with the valve stems or valve seals maybe they were clogged with carbon and they got freed.

I have yet to notice a startup time increase but seeing the engine fired with a touch of the key anyways, it would be hard to see a difference anyways.

MMO works really well on lifters. I had a 1/2 ton, 2 wheel drive '78 Suburban with a 454 for many years. Towed a fairly heavy boat with it over many miles and many mountain passes.

Every once in awhile the lifters would act up. As called for, I'd put 4 oz. of MMO per 10 gallons of gas in the tank, and the lifter noise and performance would clear up almost immediately. Also, people were amazed at how fast that big block engine would fire-up in the winter (-5 to 20 degrees F). Touch the key and that was it.
burnout.gif

My son had a Ford pickup with a '72 Lincoln 460 in it. His lifters and valves started to raise a **** of a racket. I told him to put MMO in it, which he did, and the engine quieted right down and ran smooth as silk . . . well . . . as smooth as a 460 of that vintage can. From that episode I looked pretty smart to the boy. He thought he was into major engine repair. The MMO results blew him away.

I throw some MMO in my '95 7.3l PSD DIT every so often. It quiets the engine, and my mileage goes up at least 1.5 mpg for a tank or two.

I've used MMO for over twenty years.

I've not tried the high concentration of MMO/ATF "wash" yet (ala Gary Allen I think). Not sure I can courage up to do that. I think I'd try it, though, if I still had the 'Burb.

offtopic.gif

Hey ..at least you got the first name right. Do you know how many times I've been called Barry, Jerry, Glen, Garth ..and some people have a real hard time with people who, like me, have two "first" names. I mean if you look at it ..it could easily be reversed. Just think of all the YMCA counselors, and Boy Scout merit badge instructors who got name dylexia and just called me "Allen" ..not knowing whether it was my first or last name ..never quite sure if the list was alphabetically listed or not.
confused.gif

Bob A. ..if that's the worst thing you put in type pointed in my direction for the rest of your BITOG career ..well I'll call you something too ......... pal
grin.gif

[ July 08, 2005, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Gary, KC Ryan..... i get called ryan or people try to pronounce KC as a word not just say it like casey.... i know the feeling boss

Garth? I can't see that one.
wink.gif

I am a firm believer in MMO ... but worry about its effect on certain types of fuel injectors. For carbureted engines, I'd definitly use it in most applications ... just cut back to the recommended dosage for sustained use.
wink.gif

I've found that it:

1) Quiets the engine.
2) Improves fuel economy (slightly)
3) Greatly reduces crankcase oil consumption.

I wonder how it comapres with ATF as a fuel additive ... as well as 2-cycle oil.
dunno.gif

There are plenty of threads on Marvel Mystery Oil here on BITOG. Search this subsection using the word "Marvel" or "MMO."

--- Bror Jace

My truck is getting low on go go juice so I'll see if AZ has some MMO and I'll give it a go and report back. Looks like MMO on here is a well respected product. I will admit though, I am somewhat of a sucker for additives
tongue.gif
AR

Guy I know that does fuel injector work uses iso alcohol and mmo mixed in his test box. Watched him blend 1 bottle Heet (red bottle) with about 3-4 oz of mmo (didn't measure it). Its one of those glass box things where you can see the injector spray pattern. Says it works as good as the special berrymans stuff they try to sell him and is easier to see because the red color. Take it FWIW.

Fuel lubricant is the best thing you can do for a bike IMO, but won't go into it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back