Marvel Mystery Oil Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.
bkrell,

I don't think MMO is a potent solvent per se. I look at MMO more as a lube with some, albeit little, cleaning ability (although it does seem to unstick rings and lifters). The Chemtool I would fully expect to dissolve sludge pretty much on contact. But that's its design. Having said that, I would also expect the Chemtool to be less safe on engine internals than the less potent MMO when used over the long term.

Don't get me wrong, I am interested in the Chemtool, based on your posts about it, for cleaning carbon off my piston tops. See this post: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=003935#000000
I have the same issue as sky jumper, and even the same model car (but mine's 2 years older I think). How would you recommend using the Chemtool? Sucking it through a vacuum line like Sea Foam, or adding an oz to each cylinder and letting it soak? I have used several different gas additives, including MMMO, Lucas, Techron, Gumout, Pyroil, and Prestone Syn Fuel System cleaners over the past several years. I've also Sea Foamed through a vacuum line several times with less than stellar results according to visual inspection (although the car idles smoother and throttle response is crisper afterwards. Just that visual inspection shows minimal improvement). But the carbon is still there. And naturally, I don't want it there.

I notice you're from S'port. I used to patrol Cedar Grove a few years ago. I'm just a stone's throw east of you in Webster Parish. Nice 80 degree weather yesterday, wasn't it?

Any advice on the carbon issue is appreciated.

Semper Fi,
Dave

I ran a test where I ran MMO (about 3-4 ounes in my 11 gallon tank) and my fuel economy increased by a whopping 5% over 6+ tankfuls.
Bror Jace

B is this a cumalative increase? On a recent 1100 mile trip, I averaged about 25.5 MPG using MMO at 4 oz per 10 gallons of 87 octane. This is basically unchanged MPG for my 88 528E with 309k on it

MY new commute of 100 miles per day is upping the MPG to 27MPG. This is on what is prolly winter fuel which traditionally lowers MPG.

I just read a reply on the Turbo Diesel Register, regarding the use of MMO. He noted that he had added MMO into the gas on his motorcycle & after awhile pulled the sparkplugs & noticed a build-up of ash on the electrodes.
He went on to say that there was no way that he would run a product that created this much ash in his High Pressure Common Rail fuel injection system on his Cummins engine.
I just started using MMO in my two Cummins powered Dodges & am now a bit concerned about doing some damage with its long term use. I'm using Primrose Power Master 405 fuel additive, also. I'm mostly interested in the extra lubricity provided by the MMO &, hopefully, some of the cleaning benefits.
I've had an ongoing injector knock at low rpm's. which, seemed to be cured by the Primrose after quite awhile. These new injectors seem to be prone to carbon build-up & I'm just trying to avoid future problems with preventive maintenance.

Have any of you seen ash or any other type of build-up associated with the use of MMO?
I see very few negative remarks about its use but, I would like to be sure.

Thanks.

Joe Fihn

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by Vortec_4300:
Truth-be-told, I am running a relatively new engine (approx. 13K miles) and this is the first fuel treatment regimen that I've run. I haven't noticed anything (smoother engine, increased mpg) and I don't know enough to know what noise is my fuel pump.

MMO is relatively inxpensive, I think, so I'll just keep an eye on this forum for any new updates, and continue to use it periodically.

Of course you aren't going to feel anything , you have a new engine.

I don't know why you are even using this stuff right now with such a new engine.

Old thread, but in my search of mmo versus other cleaners I came across that post and something to add. I'm prepared for the firing squad
lol.gif

My 06 Ranger has 4k miles on it. It was running a little rough and had a mileage drop recently. It happened about the same time as I installed the Amsoil Eaa filter and I thought that might have something to do with it, I was wrong about that. When I installed that filter I ran a couple tanks of Wal-Mart or Murphy's gas (do not run this gas) and I fairly certain that's what caused it. I put 4oz of MMO with half a tank and about twenty miles on it much much better. Runs smoother than when I picked up at 54 miles. So the moral of the story is even with a new engine you can have deposit depending on the gas you run.

With that gas it seems if you run it constantly you'll have no problems. My parents always complains about me having to buy 3 cans of seafoam to clean that gunk out, but they'd rather save 3 cents.

This is a fairly old thread which may mean that there are now additional data. Do any of the increased mileage crowd still see increased mileage?
Bror Jace? BlazerLT? Anyone else?

I have changed to Redline SI-1 Complete Fuel system cleaner.

Awesome stuff, absolutely helped my two vehicles.

My Neon jumped 5MPG.

BlazerLT,

Thanks for the update. After re-reading this thread I just realized that you did not make mileage claims for MMO.

Bror,

Are you out there? Still seeing improved mileage with MMO?

badnews wrote: "MMO is murder on the fuel injecters."

Was evidence was used to make that conclusion. I am not doubting you. I am asking, "how do you know?"

They say:
quote:

Marvel Mystery Oil not only increases gas mileage, it also cleans fuel pumps and injectors, combats internal motor rust and corrosion, lubricates valves, piston rings and upper cylinder walls - all things that prolong the life of a car and increase resale value. Think of Marvel Mystery Oil as the energy drink for your engine.

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:
MMO is murder on the fuel injecters .

Besides poor spelling skills, I'd imagine this individual counts the "anecdotal troubleshooting approach" amongts his many talents. Probably tried tried MMO, coincidentally had an injector problem, and ascribed the failure to MMO.

Wow 29mpg after running the MMO, 27 before on the Ranger. I ran a shocker dose in the Escape but it didn't seem to help mpg any so it must not been as gummed up. I wonder what dosage and mileage interval would be good to run MMO as a pm? I was thinking 4oz every 1k or so.

BlazerLT: So you liked the Redline Product better than MMO? For only gas mileage improvements or cleaning the CC as well?

The mileage improvement came from the CC and valve cleaning along with the enhanced injector cleaning.

Plus I like the fact that the redline isn't a solvent based cleaner.

With regard to Bror Jace's previous test in which he posted before and after milage results using MMO:

On average, there is an mpg gain with using MMO. However, the variances in the two sets of data are quite high.

Succumbing to my inner nerd, I applied the Mann-Whitney U-test (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mann-Whitney_U). I obtained a U-value of 47.0 with P = 0.065. The short version of this is that there is NO STATISTICAL DIFFERENCE between the data sets. You can run the test yourself here: http://eatworms.swmed.edu/~leon/stats/utest.html

Similarly, you could apply a one-tailed t-test assuming unequal variances. I tested at the alpha = 0.05 confidence level and calculated a t-stat of 1.31 vs. and t-crit of 1.78. Because t-stat is closer to zero than t-crit, the null hypothesis (that there is NO SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE between populations) must be retained.

I'm finished geeking now.

Carry on!
patriot.gif

I have used 4oz to 10 gallons everytime at the pump for the last year on my 88 chevy van G-10.It gradually ran smoother and smoother. I have 2 MX bikes 4 strokes RMZ 450 and a YZ250F. I started both of them out on MMO and still use it everytime,I do use AVGAS 100LL for my bikes just for the quality of the fuel. I run the MMO to help battle some of the lead deposits left behind from the AVGAS. All I can say is both bikes run excellent,no before and after MMO stories here. I will get back after I tear down one of the bikes at winter time. Like I mentioned I use MMO faithfully everytime 2oz of MMO to a 5 galllons of avgas.

I have been cutting my Grandmothers lawn the last 9 years once a week. She has a John deere riding mower with a Kawa motor,the year is a 99.

Starting it cold,it is very tempermental,it will not take the choke no matter what. You had to start it cold with the Accelerator stick all the down at the slow pos.All the way up would be the choke.I am the only one who ran this mower for the last 9yrs.It took 5 seperate times of turning the ignition over with the accelarator stick at the slow pos to get it running.It sits for a week and every,every,time you had to start it like this.I would hold the ignition key for a good 5 seconds turning it over.I always would try for the **** 0f it with the choke when cold,but it never would start.2 month's ago I filled the tank up 2.5 gallons and added 2 ounces of MMO. I started it the same way as I always did for the last 9 yrs.I came back the following week put the accelerator stick all the way up(choke) turned the ignition and it cranked 1st shot,I PUT THE STICK BACK DOWN TO SLOW POS,and it idled smooth and a pitch higher compared to the last 9 years.I have been using it faithfully in the mower now,and everytime for the last 2 month's it cranked up 1st shot right away with the choke and it idles sooooooooo smooth now ! Like I mentioned I use MMO everytime I fill up my bikes, mower, and van,I can't help it,such a warm and fuzzy feeling! I have my wife using now in her explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back