Manual Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think trucks are a different ruleset compared to cars.

I also realize that someone with a flatbed tow truck can decide to steal anything they want...

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Probably the best theft prevention device today.

Didn't stop my truck from getting stolen. In fairness, a fence with a barbed wire top, a steel building, and a blocking John Deere didn't stop it either.

edit: Now that I think about it, the flat bed Chevy truck I had stolen about a decade ago was also a manual.

My experience: manuals are thief bait.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yup. The longer I wait to buy that new car, the less likely the chance I will be able to get one with a manual trans.

....or my next used car....when my (2nd) MT Altima got rearended-totaled @ 195k miles 3+ years ago I worried I wouldn't find a replacement...but surprise, I found the Kitacam at the Toyota dealer...the closest dealer to my house, and the 1st one I pulled into on my search for that endangered specie....

...future options for ITS replacement include the Buick Verano, Caddy CTS, Hyundai Genesis....

I've always had one vehicle in the fleet with a M/T. I really enjoy driving them. But I can honestly say the A/T has come a long way. Finding one that doesn't constantly up and downshift, and lock and unlock the T/C on every incline is a plus.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Originally Posted By: Win

Didn't stop my truck from getting stolen. In fairness, a fence with a barbed wire top, a steel building, and a blocking John Deere didn't stop it either.

edit: Now that I think about it, the flat bed Chevy truck I had stolen about a decade ago was also a manual.

My experience: manuals are thief bait.

That sounds like an inside job.

DOES sound like an insider...

Sorry to hear about it Win, but you are the exception I think....almost NOTHING will stop a professional auto thief if they're after your vehicle.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I've always had one vehicle in the fleet with a M/T. I really enjoy driving them. But I can honestly say the A/T has come a long way. Finding one that doesn't constantly up and downshift, and lock and unlock the T/C on every incline is a plus.

I would make that read, 'The AT has come a long way BACK.'

The AT worked very well in the 1960s- if you've ever driven a not-worn-out properly working A727 Torqueflite, Ford C6, or GM TH400, it just *works*. Shifts are firm and lightning fast, and it rarely 'hunts.'

The problems came when more features like 4,5, and 6 gears, lockup torque convertors, etc. came along and engine torque went down. Then you got slushy, hunting-prone, greeeeasy-slow shifting automatics (well, some of the GM TH400s were always 'tuned' that way for a "luxury" feel, but not all.)

But the 60s ones were horribly inefficient and heavy. What we've got today is all the good without the loss of efficiency. I know the "performance" guys like to go in and disable it with tuners, but the torque management algorithm that reduces engine output while the transmission is in the act of shifting is an awesome boon for automatic transmission performance and longevity. It lets the shifts be lighting-fast without rattling your fillings and without the engineers having to oversize the clutch packs to be able to absorb the power of a full-throttle shift. And today they are also programming automatics so that the torque convertor doesn't unlock and re-lock every time you hit a pebble in the road or sneeze and wiggle your foot on the accelerator the way they did in the 90s...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I would make that read, 'The AT has come a long way BACK.'

The AT worked very well in the 1960s- if you've ever driven a not-worn-out properly working A727 Torqueflite, Ford C6, or GM TH400, it just *works*. Shifts are firm and lightning fast, and it rarely 'hunts.'

The problems came when more features like 4,5, and 6 gears, lockup torque convertors, etc. came along and engine torque went down. Then you got slushy, hunting-prone, greeeeasy-slow shifting automatics (well, some of the GM TH400s were always 'tuned' that way for a "luxury" feel, but not all.)

But the 60s ones were horribly inefficient and heavy. What we've got today is all the good without the loss of efficiency. I know the "performance" guys like to go in and disable it with tuners, but the torque management algorithm that reduces engine output while the transmission is in the act of shifting is an awesome boon for automatic transmission performance and longevity. It lets the shifts be lighting-fast without rattling your fillings and without the engineers having to oversize the clutch packs to be able to absorb the power of a full-throttle shift. And today they are also programming automatics so that the torque convertor doesn't unlock and re-lock every time you hit a pebble in the road or sneeze and wiggle your foot on the accelerator the way they did in the 90s...

You're right! I grew up with and owned vehicles equipped with the C6, A727, and the Turbo 400, along with a few C4's which wasn't as good. They worked quite well. If I had to pick a favorite it would be a tough choice but I think I'd go with the Torqueflite A727 or the C6. They were all good, and lasted. Fuel economy was lacking but what the heck.

I drove a few 8 and 9 speed A/T's and wasn't thrilled, but nothing from 2015 or 2016 yet. I do enjoy a good 5 speed A/T, geared so it stays in OD and isn't constantly unlocking the T/C.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I think even Lamborghini stopped producing cars with manual transmissions, very small demand for super car with a clutch.

True, but the REAL, GREAT sequential manual gearboxes in the exotics, and 'semi-exotics' are from another planet when compared to most DCTs, or regular slushboxes out there today.

I've driven manual transmissions that made me wish I was in an auto (mainly toyotas with their super light and lack of engagement clutches come to mind). My car has one of the best manuals I've driven, probably one of the reasons it's only available in stick shift.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Has not happened yet... at least to my definition of "shiftable." Paddles, "Autostick" and its equivalents are more or less suggestions to change gears, not "change NOW" driver-in-charge controls.

Have you driven a car with DSG trans?

Just curious.

I did drive a Golf GTI with DSG once, but it was a while ago. Not that impressive overall, but it did feel pretty close to "change NOW".

My experience was similar, and my PDK will do thing I ask it to do even if it doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Nearly every manufacturer produces manuals, you just don't get many over there

Very true.

Same with diesels.

I want a diesel Toyota truck with a manual gearbox, but it will probably never happen.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: jigen
I've driven manual transmissions that made me wish I was in an auto (mainly toyotas with their super light and lack of engagement clutches come to mind). My car has one of the best manuals I've driven, probably one of the reasons it's only available in stick shift.

Months ago I was shopping 2009-2013 Corollas, and had the same opinion. 4spd auto vs 5spd manual, absolutely the same driving experience. The 6spd manual in the newest ones was better but my VW 5spd was still better. Versa and Mirage were better than Toyota but still... not all that good. The market isn't there, so the makers could not care less.

I suspect to get a "good" trans you either take a gamble (VW) or spend big bucks (BMW? or even higher).

It's definitely getting harder to find decent cars with manual transmissions. I had to order my 2007 Dodge Ram from the factory to get a 6-speed manual because none of the local dealers want them on their lots.

I have a friend who will only buy a car with a manual transmission, but with his criteria (small four-door sedan from an American company) there aren't many choices. Currently he's driving a Ford Focus.

Totally frustrating.. If I do buy another new car any time soon it will likely be an Accord sport with the 6MT.. I hate how hard it is to find manuals. For the life of me I can't figure out why everyone in North America just refuses to drive them. Ruins it for the rest of us that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
For the life of me I can't figure out why everyone in North America just refuses to drive them.

Because having to shift gears manually distracts people from being able to fully concentrate on texting, eating, putting on make-up, shaving while driving.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
For the life of me I can't figure out why everyone in North America just refuses to drive them.

Because having to shift gears manually distracts people from being able to fully concentrate on texting, eating, putting on make-up, shaving while driving.

TRUE, + ;

The vast majority view driving as a 'pain', or even a "chore", so they want the most absolutely carefree and brainlessly easy way to achieve said chore, as well as so that they will have an easier time doing all of the above mentioned NON driving 'necessities'.
mad.gif

IF there were more real driving enthusiasts in this country, in lower economic status ranges (i.e.; CANNOT afford an exotic/semi-exotic), who did NOT view driving as a point A to point B chore, and actually enjoyed the act/art of driving, there would be more manuals available, and even in stock on the stealership lots.
wink.gif

I agree- most folks view driving as a chore or getting from Point A to Point B. I personally hate automatics (grew up driving manuals) but since the wife and daughter refuse to drive manuals all the vehicles I've bought since 1990 have been autos. This may change in the near future since we're moving and my commute will go from 6 miles to 37 one way, and the daughter has moved out. Plus I got approval from the CP (Chief Procurer) to get a fuel efficient vehicle since I'll be commuting and the wife can telecommute full time.

On a side note I was in Denver last weekend (go Broncos) to visit my aging parents and I rented a 2015 Ford Edge. That frakking SUV hunted for the proper gear all the time in the mountains and I just put the shifter into manu-matic mode and used the paddles on the steering wheel to select the proper gear. Annoying as heck.

Last edited:
I had been looking a while for a Chevy Cruze manual, but settled on an automatic 6 speed. So far I'm impressed with how it does. The rpms stay steady at 2200 at 65 mph (the manual transmission ones are at 2500) and it doesn't downshift on the hills. Only time it downshifted was on I-68 in western MD (wasn't excessive), but even my old V-8 Durango would downshift in those mountains. I'm thinking the Cruze 1.4 turbo engine must have some pretty decent low rpm torque. Now I'm glad I got the automatic.

Automatics are great...

For Chicks, the lazy, elderly people, disabled people and ham fisted dorks.

Give me a manual every day of the week.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Olas
Nearly every manufacturer produces manuals, you just don't get many over there

True only here in stupid, dull, lazy Murica is the manual transmission almost extinct.

That being said I will NEVER, EVER buy a car with anything but a fully manual transmission, so these manufacturers are not going to get my business at all in the future.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

IF there were more real driving enthusiasts in this country, in lower economic status ranges (i.e.; CANNOT afford an exotic/semi-exotic), who did NOT view driving as a point A to point B chore, and actually enjoyed the act/art of driving, there would be more manuals available, and even in stock on the stealership lots.
wink.gif

I realize you can enjoy driving w/o breaking the law; but you have to admit, with today's cars it's really just loafing along when driving inside those rules. To have "fun" generally means pushing the car to someplace closer to its limits.

At least that is my opinion. Getting out of my "fun" VW into my "boring" Toyota's meant my average driving speed & other behaviors dropped precipitously. No feedback = no reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back