Do you short-shift your manual transmission vehicle?

Thanks for all the feedback! Just for fun, here's the section from my owners manual:

View attachment 206716
Double clutching and taking your time to shift should prevent that

when i had manual cars i always drove them without using the clutch pedal. you only need it to start or stop. much easier to do with an Unsynchronized transmission in a big rig. you only need to find and know your point of entry and exit by watching your rpm and not forcing anything. with a sychronized transmission, it requires more finesse.

I used to be able to trick shift my Cobalt, god help me as I can’t do it anymore after driving other sticks.

Not worth living dangerously anymore

I skip 5th on our Honda regularly.
But there's a certain coastal highway where I find it's the perfect ratio for corner carving at highway speeds.

On the BMW, all 5 gears are utilized.

We need to define terms, here.

Short-shifting - shifting at lower RPM than needed for the intended acceleration/power.

Skipping gears - just what it means.

You're talking about skipping gears.

Short-shifting, shifting before the engine has had a chance to develop much RPM, and putting it in a higher gear than it should be, results in "lugging" the engine. Low RPM, high throttle opening, is lugging. This can cause pre-ignition other negative effects.

Don't short shift. Don't lug.
Good point. Terminology gets easily mixed up. Short-shift no, skip-shift, yes.

We need to define terms, here.

Short-shifting - shifting at lower RPM than needed for the intended acceleration/power.

Skipping gears - just what it means.

You're talking about skipping gears.

Short-shifting, shifting before the engine has had a chance to develop much RPM, and putting it in a higher gear than it should be, results in "lugging" the engine. Low RPM, high throttle opening, is lugging. This can cause pre-ignition other negative effects.

Don't short shift. Don't lug.

Very true! That was my mistake, using both terms. Definitely DON'T lug your engines, folks!

Reactions: Yuk
Manual transmissions have smaller gaps between the ratios as you go up the gears so any concerns about skipping gears wearing the synchros is much less of an issue going 4th to 6th than it would be 1st to 3rd, not that I imagine anyone shifts 1st to 3rd.

I will do 4th to 6th when the circumstances make it appropriate.

I almost always skip 5th in my Accord unless I'm on a hill in expressway traffic that slowed down. I'll take 2nd and 3rd higher merging onto highway and then will be traffic speed so right to 6th. The way it's geared 4th works well around town at the traffic speeds 40-50mph, On those drives it might get 1-2-4 frequently.

My Sonata was 5MT and 4th would get skipped often the same way based on gearing.

No lugging, Italian tune-up let the VTEC do it's thing. It has a purpose in life and needs to be fulfilled to be happy.

2-4, 3-5, 4-6 happen all the time in the mazda. close ratios in this one make some of them redundant. Depends on the speed.

My WS6 came with skip shift. 1st to 4th. I tuned it out. Sometimes I skip 5th and go right into 6th
You beat me to it. My 94 C4 used to do this but I installed the skip shift kit to eliminate it probably in the first 10k miles of ownership lol - still that way today. Got tired of having to accelerate harder to allow regular shifts.

On a rare occasion I will skip-shift where I upshift from fourth, skip fifth, and go directly into third.

I skip 5th in my Mazda all the time.

My Scion is geared so low I’m usually in 5th at anything above 30 mph. My four speed auto xB runs 400 rpm slower at 70 mph than my five speed manual, but still gets worse gas mileage. Go figure. The manual runs 3000 rpm at 70 in 5th gear. I really only need 1-3-5 in it.

A manual transmission is a mechanical device. Generally, it doesn't know what gear you came from, or which gear you are going to.
As long as you drive sympathetically and don't lug the engine, grind the gears, or overly slip the clutch the car won't care.
Efficiently use the engine's power band/torque curve and the engine/transmission will be fine.
Yes, I skip gears... all the time, and have skipped gears, in dozens of cars, for more than 40 years. No problems.

Last edited:
What's the risk ? Something related to the synchros ?
The risk is that there is a bigger speed mismatch that the synchros have to deal with to get into the higher gear, which will likely cause more wear to the higher gear synchros. If you shift a little more slowly there will be more time for them to easily match speeds.

That being said, I frequently do 1-3-6 or 1-2-4-6 if I am not concerned with ultimate acceleration. In regular non-highway driving it isn't uncommon for me to just do 1-3, or 1-3-4 and stay there. 4th is useable from ~25 to ~120mph. My 5th gear is like brand new. It only gets used for top speed runs. For spirited driving I'll stay between 2 and 3 the whole time, letting it sit on the rev limiter instead of upshifting and then downshifting 4 seconds later.

After 220K miles of this, my 6th gear synchros complain if I try to shift into it too fast.

I don't skip, but I do 'row'.

Say I'm in 4th, I clutch in, move the shifter into 5th, and then with clutch still in go into 6th and let out the clutch.

My understanding is that this is better for the synchros, and at least on my car I find that by the time I let the clutch out the revs are pretty well matched, where as if I just skipped 5th entirely they wouldn't be.

I usually skip 5th gear in the Honda. The car has plenty of torque and I'm just not in that much of a hurry.

I frequently use its 5th gear for passing on 2 lane highways. Lots of acceleration combined with plenty of top speed if required.

I never short shifted the BMW.

My sister usually skipped 2nd gear on 3 speed transmissions. Not a pretty situation. Revving in low to be followed by lugging in high.

The Legend has a close ratio transmission. I'll skip 2nd when I need to get thru the gears quickly. The 2nd gear syncho is worn. Third sometimes needs the gear shift "wiggle" to get in (worn linkage). Heck, the transmission as a whole needs to be rebuilt.

I don't usually skip shift, especially going into high gear. If I do, it's because I need immediate power, so 4 to 2 or 5 to 3.

Back