Manual Transmission Sales Are Up Again This Year

Local VW dealer has 4 , GTI, Golf R and two Jetta
Our VW dealer never has them, even trying to order one they are bothering you to take a specific configuration.

Back when we bought a VW the dealer scared us away trying to move us to a different vehicle than we wanted to order and we ended up buying used / private party to get what we wanted

My wife would be in apoplexy if I bought a vehicle with a manual. She is from Brazil where lots of cars are still manual due to cost and the auto transmission is a luxury in her eyes. She never had an auto before moving to the US.

I had a manual daily driver up until 2020 and I kind of miss it. Maybe we'll get a 3rd car at some point that I can bang gears on.

Random thought: my Sonata manual would catch a 2nd gear scratch if you revved it to redline and then powershifted to 2nd.

a few manual out there that are interesting are

Ford Bronco

• Acura Integra A-Spec
  • BMW M2
  • BMW M3
  • BMW M4
  • Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
  • Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Chevrolet Spark
  • Dodge Challenger
  • Ford Bronco
  • Ford Mustang
  • Honda Civic SI
  • Honda Civic Type R
  • Hyundai Elantra N
  • Jeep Gladiator
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Kia Forte GT Manual
  • Lotus Emira
  • Mazda Mazda3
  • Mazda MX-5 Miata
  • MINI Clubman
  • MINI Cooper
  • Nissan Versa
  • Nissan Z
  • Porsche 718
  • Porsche 911
  • Subaru BRZ
  • Subaru Crosstrek
  • Subaru Impreza
  • Subaru WRX
  • Toyota Corolla Hatchback
  • Toyota Corolla Sedan
  • Toyota GR Corolla
  • Toyota GR86
  • Toyota Supra
  • Toyota Tacoma
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI
  • Volkswagen Golf R
  • Volkswagen Jetta
Corolla sedan? I thought only the hatchback was available with a stick? I know that’s the case with the Mazda3.

The Subaru Impreza dropped the manual for 2024.

My four kids 2 girls and two boys all know how to drive manual transmission cars and they all started out on dirt bikes at a young age which introduces the idea of a clutch and shifting gears. My youngest is a phenomenal cyclist. Barely able to touch the ground on my bigger bike but once he is up he is off to the races.
7676.jpeg
7675.jpeg

My four kids 2 girls and two boys all know how to drive manual transmission cars and they all started out on dirt bikes at a young age which introduces the idea of a clutch and shifting gears. My youngest is a phenomenal cyclist. Barely able to touch the ground on my bigger bike but once he is up he is off to the races. View attachment 181512View attachment 181513
Neat. , be careful on shorts . I have a nasty scar (10 stitches) from drop/sliding my brothers 1982 XR80. Never rode in shorts again!!!!

Another thing I'm not seeing talked about here, is how advanced and superior, not to mention how much faster shifting, today's modern 8 and 10 speed automatic transmissions are. When compared to how the old 3 speed automatics were, "back in the day".

When you go back to the 60's muscle car era, most every high performance car tested back then, ran a faster 1/4 mile with a 4 speed stick than it did with a 3 speed automatic. (Assuming you had a person who knew how to drive it).

Today that's not the case, because the automatics have more gears than the stick transmissions do. (Usually 6 compared to 8 or 10 the auto's have).

The ZF 8 speed for example, is a mechanical work of art. It can also take the high horsepower these modern engines can dish out. The older Torque Flight's and Hydramatics would often fail in the older muscle cars if they were pushed, because they couldn't take the power as well without breaking.

There was / is simply no comparison of yesterdays 3 speed automatics, to todays 8 and 10 speed versions. No one in the 60's produced a factory automatic transmission that could not only handle the 700+ horsepower of a Dodge Demon, but also deliver that power to the road so efficiently, as today's 8 speed ZF can.

Simply put, there is no longer any performance advantage to having a manual. If you still feel the "need" to manually shift for the fun of it, most all of these modern 8 and 10 speed automatics offered today have a shifter paddle mode to drive in.

Hit the nail on the head with this last part. I've considered getting the last year of the GTI manual because after that, there will be no more produced. The twin clutch DSG will be the only transmission which is an excellent transmission. The only thing that gives me pause is that I know I'm buying the slower car if I got the manual. It's a blast to drive, but it then the DSG also does not have the drawbacks of constantly shifting in stop and go traffic.

I love manuals and all, but when you objectively look at what either transmission gives you the auto/DSG/DCT wins almost every time.

There was a time when there were lots of little cars with well under 100 bhp that were transformed into entertaining machines by the magic of a four or five speed gearbox.
I'm thinking of our old seventies and eighties Civics or even the '67 Toyota Corona we had for a time.
Even the later Accords we had were surprisingly lacking in rated power but were great with a five speed, like my 130 bhp '97 Accord LX coupe or the '99 LX four door we bought new with all of 150 bhp with VTEC.
Sticks were common on the lots then and people knew how to drive one.
Times have changed and maybe not for the better.
One condition under which a manual is absolutely better than any automatic is two-lane passing. You select the appropriate gear and it stays there with no unwanted surprises mid-pass. If an upshift is needed, you already know that and any experienced driver can make a lightening fast change.

VW dealer near me has 121 new cars on their website; exactly zero of them are manuals. Subaru dealer nearby has twelve manuals, all of them WRXs. Manual Impreza and Crosstrek are dead. Honda dealer has one manual, a Civic, and 160 automatics. Doesn't bode well for continued growing sales of manuals.

Easy to say for a 1-person household or the vehicle which has been relegated to commuter/weekend car status by the family. I ran into this problem early on when I got married. My wife didn't drive a manual and refused to learn.
When I began dating my wife she drove my 5 speed Maxima.

“What are you doing?!”

I was leaning over to look at her left foot at a stoplight. It was not on the pedal.

“You’re good, you pass. I don’t like women who ride the clutch.”

I’ve never understood the clutch to be a male female thing. When I was on a coed hockey team in 2000, I noticed all the girls had manual cars. I was thinking maybe sporty and manual went together.

When I began dating my wife she drove my 5 speed Maxima.

“What are you doing?!”

I was leaning over to look at her left foot at a stoplight. It was not on the pedal.

“You’re good, you pass. I don’t like women who ride the clutch.”

I’ve never understood the clutch to be a male female thing. When I was on a coed hockey team in 2000, I noticed all the girls had manual cars. I was thinking maybe sporty and manual went together.
My wife refuses to drive manual - It’s just added inconvenience. A shame, but there are more important reasons that I married her.

My wife refuses to drive manual - It’s just added inconvenience. A shame, but there are more important reasons that I married her.
My wife drove one for years, and she drove it well. Now she has no interest in driving one, but she wouldn't stop me from buying one if I decided to go that route.

It's an extremely small niche market! I'd be VERY surprised if any dealer ordering and they'd be very few, would get more than 1 or 2.
The auto has proven itself to be a better overall transmission. Even tractors, the last bastion, are moving to CVT
more and more.

The higher the power output of the engine, the less appealing a manual becomes. The transmission needs to be beefed up, the clutch needs to be beefed up and one means slower shifts while the other means worse clutch pedal.

These days engines have loads of HP, they would get crappy manual transmissions.

Corolla sedan? I thought only the hatchback was available with a stick? I know that’s the case with the Mazda3.

The Subaru Impreza dropped the manual for 2024.
I hear the Kia Forte is being replaced next year so the replacement vehicle will not likely have a manual transmission option.

Subaru claimed crosstrek manual transmission sales were around 5 percent. From my understanding in the USA to recoup investment r&d costs sales need to be over 10 percent to make it worthwhile.

Back