Manual Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
Probably the best theft prevention device today.

+1! in the US...

LmevYIb.jpg

(credit image from: https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media)

I've driven manual transmissions far longer and further than I'd expect any automatic to last, especially those which are driven by young racer boys. There are very few real motorcycles around with "autos".

For the 1993-2002 Chevy/Pontiac F bodies I follow (Z28, WS6, SS, Trans AM, Firehawks), the 6 speed manual transmission is in far higher demand than the automatics. They are an easier sell and typically bring 10% more than a comparable automatic. I would think this same preference applies to most performance cars of the 1992-2006 period (Vettes, Mustangs, GTO's, etc.). I'm not sure about 2007-2015 as I haven't followed those cars very closely. Collectors still have a preference, and it's the manual transmission.

One advantage to manuals is being able to start the car with a weakened or essentially drained battery. It will get you home in some cases if AAA isn't around. On the professional side, a seasoned driver on a manual trans can usually out-perform an automatic on a race course. For us every day drivers, I'd agree it's hard to out-perform an automatic. I know I can't.

I drive a company Prius and I'm glad it does not have a CVT. The planetary transmission works without ever shifting gears. I especially like the idea that the transmission has no reverse gear that would require shifting and also never needs the transmission fluid checked or changed.

My Honda Civic has a 5 speed and the ratios are perfectly spaced. I've driven other ricers and some of those manual transmission have terrible jumps between gears that make you wonder if the designer ever drove a car with a manual transmission.

Sports cars and muscle cars should only be offered in standard tranny imo. Sure autos may be faster in quarter mile strip runs,but there's nothing like driving a high powered muscle car with a standard tranny. Autos are BORING.

Didn't stop my truck from getting stolen. In fairness, a fence with a barbed wire top, a steel building, and a blocking John Deere didn't stop it either.

edit: Now that I think about it, the flat bed Chevy truck I had stolen about a decade ago was also a manual.

My experience: manuals are thief bait.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win

Didn't stop my truck from getting stolen. In fairness, a fence with a barbed wire top, a steel building, and a blocking John Deere didn't stop it either.

edit: Now that I think about it, the flat bed Chevy truck I had stolen about a decade ago was also a manual.

That sounds like an inside job.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
When good shiftable AT came out,

Has not happened yet... at least to my definition of "shiftable." Paddles, "Autostick" and its equivalents are more or less suggestions to change gears, not "change NOW" driver-in-charge controls.

That said, automatics do everyday driving better, no argument. And they usually win drag races. Even in trucks, for the most part, they tow and work better. But a *real* manual trans was a big component of me even buying a Challenger at all. The automatic guys might beat me at the strip, but they won't be smiling as much on the daily commute.

I can't imagine anyone wanting an S10 that bad, especially a 4 cylinder one. Since it was recovered, did you find out what they wanted it for? Parts? Hauling stolen goods? Joy-riding?

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Has not happened yet... at least to my definition of "shiftable." Paddles, "Autostick" and its equivalents are more or less suggestions to change gears, not "change NOW" driver-in-charge controls.

Have you driven a car with DSG trans?

Just curious.

I did drive a Golf GTI with DSG once, but it was a while ago. Not that impressive overall, but it did feel pretty close to "change NOW".

Originally Posted By: glock19

That sounds like an inside job.

Yeah, I'm sure it was. I've read the confession of the guy they caught with it and there is no way he could have known the vehicle was in that building. Only a couple of people besides myself knew it was there, and I've given the cops that info.

But they have A guy, not necessarily THE right guy, or ALL the guys, but A guy with a long criminal history and a confession, and that seems to be enough right now. If they are doing anything else in terms of getting other people, I'm out of the loop.

They got some ciagarette butts, but it could be months or years before the crime lab processes them, and if they get DNA, it doesn't do much good unless there is a hit in the database. They'll just hold the hit until a match comes into the database, which could be years or never.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

I can't imagine anyone wanting an S10 that bad, especially a 4 cylinder one. Since it was recovered, did you find out what they wanted it for? Parts? Hauling stolen goods? Joy-riding?

Well, they used it to haul off everything else in my car shop ( except my Xj12 Jag ), possibly using it for multiple trips, and the tools, equipment, etc., was worth more than the truck by a considerable amount, so, stealing the truck may have just been incidental.

They didn't even try to steal the Jag - guess they weren't Jag guys, or realized they cpouldn't steal gas fast enough to feed it.

Of course none of the other stuff was, or ever will be, recovered.

I doubt they ever completely do away with manuals in sports and muscle cars....

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Just curious.

I did drive a Golf GTI with DSG once, but it was a while ago. Not that impressive overall, but it did feel pretty close to "change NOW".

I drove one in a Jetta TDI. Maybe not tuned the same, but what I saw was this:

-Like any paddle-based shifter, your say is not the ultimate. It is a recommendation, trumped by the computer

-Yes, it can shift faster than you ever could when left to its own devices.

-No, its no smoother or better

-Neutral is not the same setup like an MT, nor is there a coast with clutch in type setup. it is far more like shifting an AT to Neutral.

-For the $1000 it costs, and recurring maintenance costs, Id much rather do it the old fashioned way.

-Given that there are now at least 7-speed MTs in passenger vehicles, and some cars have had multi-range transmissions (my father's 79 Plymouth champ comes to mind), there's no reason that OEMs need to have the stupid ratios for people to feel sporty, and avoid the economic ones. heck, even 1990s GM ponycars had gear skip setups...

-They represent poor value compared to MTs, and maybe equivalent or slightly superior (on the basis of economy) to conventional ATs.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
spaced. I've driven other ricers and some of those manual transmission have terrible jumps between gears that make you wonder if the designer ever drove a car with a manual transmission.

This is true too. I drove years in some of the worst traffic around, specifically NYC and DC beltway traffic, and the gearing in my 318 was perfect so it was never a chore.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
-Like any paddle-based shifter, your say is not the ultimate. It is a recommendation, trumped by the computer

What do you want it to do that it is not doing? Can you give some examples?

10 years from now when driverless cars are really hitting the roads I predict ZERO new cars will be available with MT, especially as emission rules clamp down.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Just curious.

Had a rental VW with DSG a couple of times. It did respond faster to the paddles than most conventional automagics but still wouldn't go into gears that the PCM thought were "not right." Sometimes I like to lug a little bit more than the PCM wants me to. ;-)

The other thing I couldn't get used to with the DSG was the wonky start from a dead stop and the strange things it does when trying to creep along with rush-hour traffic. It made me wish they'd give me a third pedal *at least* to start from a stop.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Nearly every manufacturer produces manuals, you just don't get many over there

True only here in stupid, dull, lazy Murica is the manual transmission almost extinct.

That being said I will NEVER, EVER buy a car with anything but a fully manual transmission, so these manufacturers are not going to get my business at all in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back