Latest Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of 2023 January - Is it still a good choice?

My GM LQ9 6.0 would rattle at startup. “It’s normal”.. “They all do it” “it’s GM piston slap” That’s what everyone said. I had been using the Ultra for years. Pretty much since it came out. Until one day I decided to do a random hot swap with a different model fram filter. A TG. The noise was gone immediately! It was then I realized the filter was causing the “slap” all along. It’s been a few years since that, and still to this day no noise. Not even after sitting for months. Anyways, here’s the video that made me suspect a delay in flow caused by the multi layered ultra was contributing to the rattle.

Here is the video. People can decide for themselves if there is any validity.

I had the exact same issue on start up with my 4.2. Sounded like a metallic chain rattle with a Fram tough guard, no anti drainback valve on it either. Started using Wix xp and no more rattles.
Most people on here are concerned about filtering particles the size of a fleas foreskin , i just want good oil flow.

I had the exact same issue on start up with my 4.2. Sounded like a metallic chain rattle with a Fram tough guard, no anti drainback valve on it either. Started using Wix xp and no more rattles.
What's the Fram TG model number? No ADBV? ... do other filters specified for that engine have an ADBV?

Most people on here are concerned about filtering particles the size of a fleas foreskin , i just want good oil flow.
Study up on positive displacement oil pumps, which are used on engine oiling systems for a reason. The only time an oil filter could reduce the oil flow out of a PD pump is if the filter is basically completely clogged and the pump hits its pressure relief setting. The engine's oiling system is typically about 15 times more "flow restrictive" than an oil filter ... so how could the filter that's only 1/15th of the total flow restriction to the pump magically make the pump reduce oil flow to the oiling system?

What's the Fram TG model number? No ADBV? ... do other filters specified for that engine have an ADBV?

Study up on positive displacement oil pumps, which are used on engine oiling systems for a reason. The only time an oil filter could reduce the oil flow out of a PD pump is if the filter is basically completely clogged and the pump hits its pressure relief setting. The engine's oiling system is typically about 15 times more "flow restrictive" than an oil filter ... so how could the filter that's only 1/15th of the total flow restriction to the pump magically make the pump reduce oil flow to the oiling system?
TG9837 every other filter i've come across has an ADBV , also it alot smaller than other filters. No wonder Amazon was giving them away at $6.00
I'm not too worried about the engine straving for oil but more so the extra strain put on the pump circulating the oil.
Either way the engine starts easier and i see no reason to use one again.

I think the “noise” is lifter noise because the oil has drained back allowing air into the system. There’s no way filtration efficiency/inefficiency will cause that. If the only thing changed is the filter, that would point to ADBV not holding oil back. Or….. the oil is thin enough when parked, & has been parked long enough to allow a large amount of oil to drain out of the galleys. Even a 100% plugged filter will open the bypass & let oil through. Add the fact that noise stays a while after starting then goes away indicates air in the system.

I'm not too worried about the engine straving for oil but more so the extra strain put on the pump circulating the oil.
There's really no "extra strain" on the oil pump due to a filter having a PSI or two of more delta-p over another filter. A PD oil pump can run at pressure relief all day long and not be damaged from the "strain".

Last edited:
It took a few months but I heard back from Fram about the FS7317 @53' Stude cut for us which was missing the metal backing for the media.

Good to know the titanium isn’t going the same way as the ultra.

View attachment 166301
After reading your comment @michael007 I went to my Advanced Auto (1/2 mile from my house) pulled four Ti filters ALL boxes said metal backed, 50% were metal backed. I did also find a FS3980 that was metal backed.

You can’t edit an original post on BITOG but Fram doing this is NOT cool. If they sell 6 less filters because of this thread - they deserve it. I bought a FS3980, cut it open, liked what I saw and bought 5 more in identical boxes.

As a consumer I shouldn’t have to wade into the depths of BITOG to learn that a mega company switched the product without making any effort to inform the customers.

Not cool.

Attachments

• IMG_7725.jpeg
    IMG_7725.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7726.jpeg
    IMG_7726.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7728.jpeg
    IMG_7728.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7729.jpeg
    IMG_7729.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 67
After reading your comment @michael007 I went to my Advanced Auto (1/2 mile from my house) pulled four Ti filters ALL boxes said metal backed, 50% were metal backed. I did also find a FS3980 that was metal backed.

You can’t edit an original post on BITOG but Fram doing this is NOT cool. If they sell 6 less filters because of this thread - they deserve it. I bought a FS3980, cut it open, liked what I saw and bought 5 more in identical boxes.

As a consumer I shouldn’t have to wade into the depths of BITOG to learn that a mega company switched the product without making any effort to inform the customers.

Not cool.

I want to apologize for my comment yesterday as it was a little ignorant and it hasn't been easy for you to prove your point.

I see those 4 filters are made in 3 different countries (South Korea, China, USA) so unless they were all produced in February, then what the fram tech line said doesn't add up.

In my opinion, the email from Fram seemed a little too confident to be a complete lie.

My guess is they previously stopped the metal backing, either temporarily or permanently due to pricing and then thanks to BITOG, management finally realized it's false advertising and used the "shortage in February" as an excuse for the behaviour.

What were the model numbers and the date codes on those 4 filters?

It looks like the cellulose / synthetic hybrid without wire backing is only being deployed on spin-on filters. Cartridge-style filters like the XG9972 that I use on my RX450H still have wire backing and appear to have the pink synthetic glass fiber media visible from the backside, unlike the pictures of the cut open spin-on filters we've seen on BITOG in the last year.

As compared to the cartridge filters from before I don't see a visual difference in the filter construction.

It looks like the cellulose / synthetic hybrid without wire backing is only being deployed on spin-on filters. Cartridge-style filters like the XG9972 that I use on my RX450H still have wire backing and appear to have the pink synthetic glass fiber media visible from the backside, unlike the pictures of the cut open spin-on filters we've seen on BITOG in the last year.

As compared to the cartridge filters from before I don't see a visual difference in the filter construction.
Same. My XG9641 cartridge filter is still pink media with metal mesh inside. 07 Mazda3 2.3L.

Excessive glue on the end caps of a Fram I bought, makes Fram a no go for me.

My fault for not checking better.
My main focus is to make sure an o-ring is included ….

Yes, members can call the Wix XP a rock catcher, but at least the construction is consistent.
I change my oil frequent enough, to not need Sub Atomic particle filtering.

Same. My XG9641 cartridge filter is still pink media with metal mesh inside. 07 Mazda3 2.3L.
Do either of you have a date code for those cartridge filters? Possible slow movers, & you're receiving old stock? I have received 5+ year old spin-on Purolator filters from Advance Auto in the past.

Just installed my first Fram (FE10575 on a 2019 5.3L) in 50 years of wrenching and engine building and it appears the d—m thing has a weep at the exterior crimp. Good grief….. I may just cave and go back to basic PF63……

Just installed my first Fram (FE10575 on a 2019 5.3L) in 50 years of wrenching and engine building and it appears the d—m thing has a weep at the exterior crimp. Good grief….. I may just cave and go back to basic PF63……
You can try returning it. I successfully returned a defective Pure One filter about 10 years ago because it did not have a bypass valve. They were so grateful they sent me a case of filters!!

^^^ Yes, just contact Fram about the leaking crimp seam. They may send something to have it send back postage paid by Fram, and they will most likely send free replacement filters.

Back