Fram Titanium is no longer metal screen backed. Ultra, Endurance, Titanium ALL are synthetic *blend* media.

@OVERKILL mentioned that Titanium filters were transitioning to the unbacked synthetic blend media found in the Fram Ultra. I thought I had purchased Titanium FS3980s that were metal backed - the one I just purchased and cut open was! I was wrong.

The Fram rep told me “Titanium = Ultra with a PowerFlow™️ Baseplate”.

I just bought new Ultra, Endurance and Titanium filters - cut them open - and they were all different. Turns out the Titanium I purchased, even tho it was brand new, it was older stock - and the Fram representative was 100% correct.

IMG_7678.jpeg

Fram rep response:
IMG_7677.jpeg

Then I asked basically what about the Titanium, it seems like it’s the same as the Ultra but with a PowerFlow baseplate. He replied “it is”. And, I can confirm this to be true. The Ultra did have a bypass valve and the Titanium did not - but the media looks identical.
IMG_7680.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have a few TG7317 and Ultra...so I just use up my stock and then convert back to 7356 WIX. Barely better filtering than the Ultra for the TG? Wonder if he is implying that the TG is the ugly redheaded stepchild that could.

So I have a few TG7317 and Ultra...so I just use up my stock and then convert back to 7356 WIX. Barely better filtering than the Ultra for the TG? Wonder if he is implying that the TG is the ugly redheaded stepchild that could.
According to the ISO tests the Fram options filter better than the Wix. The TG is 99% and the Ultra, Titanium and Endurance are 99%+ at 20 micron.

What are the benefits of metal screen backed filters? vs no backing, vs other types of backing. I searched a little before asking and didn’t find much explanation.
They've proven to be the most durable "backing" that prevents tearing of the media. It's not just limited to metal either since the Purolator Boss uses another material for it's "wire backing". It's like a concrete wall with rebar vs concrete wall with no rebar.

The Fram rep told me “Titanium = Ultra with a PowerFlow™️ Baseplate”.
He's thinking the current Ultra, not the old Ultra. It was that way too when comparing old Titanium to old Ultra.

He's thinking the current Ultra, not the old Ultra. It was that way too when comparing old Titanium to old Ultra.
Exactly - and he's correct. The only slight difference is the Ultra has a bypass valve and the Titanium does not.

They've proven to be the most durable "backing" that prevents tearing of the media. It's not just limited to metal either since the Purolator Boss uses another material for it's "wire backing". It's like a concrete wall with rebar vs concrete wall with no rebar.
The wire backed Ultra media always, and I mean always, comes out of my Pentastar looking wavy. It is indeed VERY sturdy, but wavy. Mobil 1 filters, which are not wire backed, also come out wavy. The only filter that didn´t was the Mopar that was origninally in it. And it does not have a wire backing, interestingly.

That´s just one application, so take it for what it is worth.

As far as "all having synthetic blend media" ... it doesn't really matter because they all achieve a high efficiency and high mileage rating. That's what matters regardless of what media was used to achieve those goals.

As far as "all having synthetic blend media" ... it doesn't really matter because they all achieve a high efficiency and high mileage rating. That's what matters regardless of what media was used to achieve those goals.
that was the big discussion back in the day in the mid-2000s when Purolator One I believe was all hype about their synthetic blended media. I guess as long as we're using something that flows better than the factory filter and filters better as well I'm going to try not to worry too much as it'll cause my acid reflux start going haywire and I get tired of eating nexium pills

The wire backed Ultra media always, and I mean always, comes out of my Pentastar looking wavy. It is indeed VERY sturdy, but wavy. Mobil 1 filters, which are not wire backed, also come out wavy. The only filter that didn´t was the Mopar that was origninally in it. And it does not have a wire backing, interestingly.

Are these the white media filters? IIRC, there was an application where the "Ultra" wasn't the same as the can version, it used white media instead.

What are the benefits of metal screen backed filters? vs no backing, vs other types of backing. I searched a little before asking and didn’t find much explanation.
The metal backed OG Ultra (& early Titanium) had TWO layers of pink synthetic media backed by a screen reinforcement (which AFAIK is also the case with the RP & Endurance with somewhat thinner white media)-the newer Ultra & Titanium have the synthetic layer "sprayed" onto conventional synthetic blend media. Which is why the newer Ultra/Titanium media gets wavy, and, in isolated incidents, has torn. The next torn OG Ultra I see will be the first.

I've not had any come out wavy but "sucked in" appearance regularly. You just can't beat OEM constructed filters sometimes & I've seen that first hand myself as well.

Are these the white media filters? IIRC, there was an application where the "Ultra" wasn't the same as the can version, it used white media instead.
Yep, white media. Backed by a nylon or monofilament wire mesh. STRONG stuff. I tore one apart and it was incredibly difficult to tear it. I had to use pliars and vice grips.

Yep, white media. Backed by a nylon or monofilament wire mesh. STRONG stuff. I tore one apart and it was incredibly difficult to tear it. I had to use pliars and vice grips.
Yeah, I think that's a rebranded Purolator, FRAM doesn't actually produce it. The OG Ultra media (and Titanium) is a pink product with wire backing. It appears they outsourced this application, likely because Purolator was already making a filter for it.

Exactly - and he's correct. The only slight difference is the Ultra has a bypass valve and the Titanium does not.
I seriously doubt they leave out the bypass valve for any filter application that calls for one. From the EG all the way up the food chain, if an application calls for BP valve to be present, then any Fram product will include that feature.

I think perhaps your thoughts are not aligned.

That's not a good analogy. Rebar is used to reinforce the concrete only in tension; it does not enhance the compression or torsional resistance of concrete.

I get what you're implying, but it's a bad example.

Back