is fram's extra guard 95% efficiency worrysome? or is it fine for low OCI?

Does anyone know the average size of particles in engine oil reports? I don't see many reports but I don't normally see particle size instead particle amounts.
You need to have a particle count added to the UOA (extra cost) to see particle size and counts.

Does anyone know the average size of particles in engine oil reports? I don't see many reports but I don't normally see particle size instead particle amounts.
Excellent adjunct information here. Some of it is repeated since either people cannot understand it or they haven't read it before.

This pertains to particles that are seen in the spectrographic analysis portion, not any particle count. I personally think particle counts are only somewhat useful without a corresponding SEM/EDX or other analysis of the particles themselves.

A rather general overview of particle counts:

Last edited:
The best filtering scheme combination is a good air filter + a good oil filter. Anything that gets past the air filter and into the sump (along with internal engine debris generation) will get captured by a good oil filter. The oil filter is the only filter that is the last line of defense to keep the oil clean.

12” diameter donaldson 6637 matched with a OG wire backed FS3675 for me. no fiber end caps going on anything i own.

20 microns isn't? They'll capture smaller particles as well.
I consider efficiency of 95% @ 20u or better adequate for 5-7.5K OCIs. Above that, 99% @ 20u or better would would be more ideal. The longer the OCI, the better to use higher filtration. Wear from dirty oil is dependant on the oil cleanliness level and the duration the oil is pumped through the engine.

I consider efficiency of 95% @ 20u or better adequate for 5-7.5K OCIs. Above that, 99% @ 20u or better would would be more ideal. The longer the OCI, the better to use higher filtration. Wear from dirty oil is dependant on the oil cleanliness level and the duration the oil is pumped through the engine.
I'm not someone that will re-use a filter, regardless of OCI. I'm still going to buy the best filter I can for all of my vehicles, whether is a Fram Endurance or something else. $8-$12 every 5k-6k miles (which takes me on average 6 months) doesn't bother me.

I'm not someone that will re-use a filter, regardless of OCI. I'm still going to buy the best filter I can for all of my vehicles, whether is a Fram Endurance or something else. $8-$12 every 5k-6k miles (which takes me on average 6 months) doesn't bother me.
Yep, some here go high efficiency regardless of OCI because why not if paying a bit more for a filter doesn't really matter to who's buying stuff to maintain the vehicle. I do the same most of the time.

Back