Just put AMSOIL 5W30 in my 1998 Subaru Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jasno999
The Forester was my fathers car and he put 116,000 miles on the car over the years. He decided to get a new car so I took the Forester off his hands.

I decided to try goign to synthetic to protect the engine better and see if I coulf get some better milage by doign a engine flush. I purchased the engine flush fluid from AMSOIL and used it and then put AMSOIL synthetic 5W30 in the car with an EA AMSOIL filter.

Any comments/suggestion/ideas about this switch? How long do you guys think I can go with this oil and filter before changing it?

ASL is great oil. You may be able to get 15-25k miles out of it, depending on the filter. Amsoil, Fram Ultra, M1 could do it.
I agree with others saying get an oil analysis on this first run after about 8-10k miles, to see the condition of the engine. (Sludge, fuel dilution, etc.)
The Amsoil flush is good product. Use it a lot.

Amsoil ATF is a GREAT product. Cheap try for transmission moderate fix. Made my Ford shift smoother. You could try the Amsoil flush on the tranny too, if you can drain the pan and torque converter.

As far as MPG, I changed front and rear diff on my Explorer to Amsoil Severe Gear, ATF and Xfer case to Amsoil ATF, and mileage went up 1-1.5MPG. Not huge, but something. And they run quieter, too.

Enjoy your new ride!

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
As far as MPG, I changed front and rear diff on my Explorer to Amsoil Severe Gear, ATF and Xfer case to Amsoil ATF, and mileage went up 1-1.5MPG. Not huge, but something. And they run quieter, too.

Wrong, that's not only huge it's unbelievable.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
That's like saying the wheel fell off because he put gas in the tank.

LOL.

Subaru's have head gasket issues. Surprisingly, the turbo Subaru's have less head gasket issues. Nothing to do with any oil. HG's are like preventative maintenance on them.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky

Wrong, that's not only huge it's unbelievable.

Understand. May have just been a coincidence, different driving conditions ( may have been done in spring - MPG in IL goes up when no warmups are required!). I regretted saying that as soon as I hit "submit" because there is no way to prove it.
blush.gif

Anyway, the quieter part is accurate!
grin2.gif

With today's friction modified oils there will be no difference because PAO oil is used as the standard the oils need to meed for the MPGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back