Castrol Euro 5w30 API SL A3/B4 - Ecotec LHU

The Regal is coming up on 5k miles since purchase, so I'm going to dump whatever the previous owner used and start fresh. I was at WM today and picked up this oil change package:

FRAM XG9018 - DOM 23323 (11/19/23)
6 x quarts of Castrol Euro Car 5w30 (API SL) - DOM 23318 (11/14/23)

So all in all fresh parts! Not bad for a WM in small-town WI. Here's my main question, although I'm pretty sure I know the answer: I'm good using this oil and filter for 7,500-ish mile changes, correct? I know the oil isn't "DEXOS" approved, but other than higher calcium? it seems to be stronger than any standard synthetic 5w30 DEXOS oil.

The main concern I have is in regards to LSPI: I do tend to short shift/lug my car around due to the abundance of torque the LHU puts out. The engine pretty much lives in the 1800-3200 RPM range, and more often than not I won't even to bother downshifting out of 6th when performing say... a quick 55-75 MPH passing maneuver. Would that kind of load and boost become an issue? Or am I just overthinking things?

You should be fine with that oil short-term. SN would have been better served. But I would change it (for turbo sake & heavy pedal sake) every 5k, not 7-8k.

If you keep working the trans, you may need to do 15k OCIs on it's fluid.

Last edited:
You should be fine with that oil short-term. SN would have been better served. But I would change it (for turbo sake & heavy pedal sake) every 5k, not 7-8k.

Fair enough, every 5k is fine with me. That's only 2x a year, if that.

I plan on draining the trans and using HPL gear oil come spring, hopefully that fluid will stand up for a long long time. I'm very easy on the transmission when I shift, this thing doesn't get beat on.

It’s basically an SN package with too much phosphorus to qualify as SN for a 30 grade. It’s not SN+ or SP though.

Get a UOA at the 5k mark, Oil Analyzers seems to be the favorite for DI tests here.

The Regal is coming up on 5k miles since purchase, so I'm going to dump whatever the previous owner used and start fresh. I was at WM today and picked up this oil change package:

FRAM XG9018 - DOM 23323 (11/19/23)
6 x quarts of Castrol Euro Car 5w30 (API SL) - DOM 23318 (11/14/23)

So all in all fresh parts! Not bad for a WM in small-town WI. Here's my main question, although I'm pretty sure I know the answer: I'm good using this oil and filter for 7,500-ish mile changes, correct? I know the oil isn't "DEXOS" approved, but other than higher calcium? it seems to be stronger than any standard synthetic 5w30 DEXOS oil.

The main concern I have is in regards to LSPI: I do tend to short shift/lug my car around due to the abundance of torque the LHU puts out. The engine pretty much lives in the 1800-3200 RPM range, and more often than not I won't even to bother downshifting out of 6th when performing say... a quick 55-75 MPH passing maneuver. Would that kind of load and boost become an issue? Or am I just overthinking things?
You'll be okay.

Back