Switching to VW OE 5W40 oil for my turbo Subaru?

Hey all, I've been getting oil changes at my shop forever due to a restrictive HOA. Finally moved and can do them on my own.

My car is an 05 Legacy GT with 30K on the engine and turbo and a few valvetrain mods. Car sees 50/50 city/highway use. It used to burn oil when my shop used Valvoline 5w30 synthetic in it, even with a new engine. When they switched suppliers to Amsoil and started using their SS 5w30 oil, my car completely stopped burning oil. I do 3-3.5K oil changes (also looking to extend these after doing a Blackstone analysis when I change the oil next week). The wallet is seriously hurting with Amsoil costing ~14 bucks a quart and oil changes every 3 months or so.

I started working for a VW dealer months back and we get free oil, so I'm obviously looking to cash in on that. Their 5w40 oil is enticing and I'm wondering if I'd still notice a lack of oil burning with this? I believe it's simply rebranded Mobil1 Euro 5w40 but neither Mobil nor VW post HTHS or NOACK specs with their oils. I hesitate to switch from an oil that has done my car well but Amsoil is PRICY and well... I get free VW oil, any of my choice. 0w20, 0w30, 0w40, and 5w40 - if any of these are best for my use case, enlighten me.

Any insights? I live in the Portland, OR area and drive the car year-round. I romp on her from time to time and want an oil that won't fly out the tailpipe when I do.

I know people have run 5w-40 Rotella T6 in their modified Subarus with good results. The additives don’t play nice with catalytic converters though, but modified people tend not to use those. T6 is very cheap and turbo friendly though

If there was ever an engine when one should use a thicker oil than recommend in the owners manual, it's the old Subaru 2L and 2.5L turbo engines. I use to own a 07' WRX I bought new and frequented NASIOC.

There were occasional reports of spun bearing on WRX's.

In the same owners manual that recommends 5W30, it also says to use a thicker oil when driving under certain conditions. The oil viscosities listed even for the time are laughable: 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50.

Use the 0W40 or 5W40 if it's free.

5W-40 and if decided to go back and chasing Noack, SS 10W-30 with 4.1 Noack. No need for 0 or even 5 in Portland.

The price is right. I'd vote for 0w40 and 5w40. Monitor oil consumption with both and pick the one that doesnt disappear. I wouldn't bother with 0w20. And, if the 0w30 or 5w30 is a higher HTHS oil, then I'd even consider that too.

One needs specific datasheet/brand/PN's for the dealer bulk oil drums/totes, since dealers do whatever they want, or the VW PN for quarts in order to make a better decision as VW has various specs/grades.

I believe it's simply rebranded Mobil1 Euro 5w40 but neither Mobil nor VW post HTHS or NOACK specs with their oils.
The HTHS of any 5W40 will be at least 3.5 cP, versus a minimum of 2.9 cP for a 5W30, or 3.11 cP for the Amsoil SS 5W30 you've been using. That should be more than thick enough for some spirited driving in the Portland climate.

The VW oil probably has higher NOACK. It's hard to beat Amsoil. Whether your oil consumption will increase with the VW oil is anybody's guess. Try it out and see. It's free.

I should also note that Euro 5W30 oils that meet one of the VW specs should also have a minimum HTHS of 3.5 cP, so if that's what's available I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I should also note that Euro 5W30 oils that meet one of the VW specs should also have a minimum HTHS of 3.5 cP, so if that's what's available I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
No 5w30 to be seen at my dealer as far as I can tell.

Seems like the common consensus is to try the 5w40 out. I believe the bulk supplier for oil that isn't in quarts is still Mobil per VW but I could be wrong. Either way, it's good to hear that any 5w40 will have a higher HTHS spec than Amsoil SS 5w30. I'll be giving the bulk 5w40 a shot next week. These 8 dollar oil changes are gonna be nice 😁

The dealer 504 oil will be 0w30. Overall it is a much better oil than the 5w40 intended for the older VWs although mid saps. And it is nearly as thick with a minimum HTHS of 3.5. But either should be fine in your car.

I would not assume the bulk Mobil is the same as the retail oil. Dealers used Castrol 5w40 for years that met VW 502 but it was not the same as the retail Castrol black bottle 5w40 that met many more specs. It still worked well however.

I use M1 0W- 40 in the 2010 Ford Focus, 2006, Toyota Tacoma with the 4 cyl engine and the wife's 2018 F350 with the 6..2 gas engine and now in the 2015 F150 with the 2.7 since the formula has changed. Before the formula change I ran Quaker State 5W-40 Euro because of the 2.7 .

Back