My Experience: Amsoil SS in 2013 Hyundai Santa Fes

Amsoil 5w20 has made my old 2002 Ford F-150 run smoother and quieter than it ever
has and I've owned it since 2005.
I change it at 7500 mile intervals and it comes out looking almost as good as it did when
I first poured it in.
It's expensive yes but, for a smoother and quieter running vehicle, it's
worth it, imho.
Real life results don’t lie

Here's an update. About three weeks ago, the car started squealing again at startup. Around the same time, I started noticed misfiring/hesitation under acceleration; I'm not sure the two issues are related since the squealing had happened for a couple years. I took the car in yesterday for diagnosis and one of the spark plugs was cracked. I had the plugs replaced with quality NGK Iridium's (vs the crappy Autolites the previous mechanic put in 50K miles ago). I also had their GDI Emission (injection cleaning) service. Lastly, I had Amsoil SS 5W30 and a Hyundai OEM oil filter (vs Bosch like last time) put in since it was about 3 months since the last oil change.

The car now runs like a champ. No acceleration issues or misfirings. This morning, I started the car cold and zero squeal and smooth idle.

What does this all mean? Not sure. I used Amsoil 3 months ago for the first time in this car. Is it possible it cleaned some gunk, dirtied up the oil and Bosch oil filter and started the squealing again? Perhaps the anti-drainback valve stopped operating well at startup?

I've heard the OEM filters don't filter down to as many microns as the Bosch, but they're higher flow. Perhaps that'll help?

Either way, this experiment continues and I'll keep the forum updated.

Amsoil SS is one of the best oils on the market but I can't see in any way at all how it is making a difference in regard to this noise.

I don't think so. But I am no expert on that engine. Are others with exact engines reporting OF related sounds?
That’s quite a coincidence that the squeal stopped twice right after the last two oil changes. The mystery continues

We had a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T bought in 2012 as well.
It was run mostly on Valvoline Synpower 5W30 with a few 5W40 Castrol oci and two Valvoline Conventional 5w30 runs. The oci was 3500 at most.
The vehicle was traded in with 240K miles in 2022.
We had zero issues with it.

Amsoil SS is fantastic oil, better than anything i used in our Santa Fe Sport turbo. I only say this to present another anecdote and state that there are so many variables that can contribute to all these scenarios.

We had a 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T bought in 2012 as well.
It was run mostly on Valvoline Synpower 5W30 with a few 5W40 Castrol oci and two Valvoline Conventional 5w30 runs. The oci was 3500 at most.
The vehicle was traded in with 240K miles in 2022.
We had zero issues with it.

Amsoil SS is fantastic oil, better than anything i used in our Santa Fe Sport turbo. I only say this to present another anecdote and state that there are so many variables that can contribute to all these scenarios.
Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear you got 240K miles out of it without issue.

I always said Mobil 1 was a very vocal oil. It's all on here...
I did too - complained a few times on this board over the years, until Triple Action came along in SP.
My M-1 oiled engines last spring & summer, plus another my grandson owns that used to belong to me, are no longer overly vocal. Grades so far used are 10w30 and 0w40 Euro.

I'm impressed and the quietness under the hood may have something to do with EXXon Mobil's increased use of the Natural Gas base oil. I was a big Fanboy of Pennzoil products for decades (2000-2020). Prior to that, I spent around 20 years (1980-2000) using Castrol oils.

I have no idea how long I'll remain attached to Amsoil. Much too early to grade it. I need another couple OCIs to give it a final report card and I bought enough Amsoil for that.

Last edited:
Back