Is Red Line the primo oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Doesn't anyone else find it ironic that Shell uses Group III blends for their Ferrari F1 team?

Source? I've been trying to find out any info on "Helix SL-0932."

After 2 years or more, I would have thought that this RL issue would have been put to rest.

FUCHS/Silkoline both have PAO in them. As I've said before, in Race Car Engineering mag a few months back they interviewed Shell about what they use for racing. They said some of their oils are PAO/Ester and some are Group III blends.

I personally don't buy 100% into the RL cleanning effect and I also don't buy into using LC for everything. Waste of $$ IMO.

Mobil/Shell make esters. They don't use 100% ester based oils even in racing. I think they know what they are doing.

427 -

Tony has given numerous warnings (as did Bob) about public price wars so yes I've already stepped over that line.

I don't have my "panties in a bunch". I am not "paranoid" either. You wrote "Looks like RedLine is a relative bargain compared to Amsoil." and anyone reading this at the top of the page needs to to be set straight. That is what I was attempting to do.

I am sorry if I come across as snappish and nasty. That is not my tone or intention.

I started using redline in my 89 SHO with 137,000 miles. This was after I had completed a double ARX treatment. When I went to change the rod bearings, a preventative maintainance thing, I was surprised to find that the under parts of the engine internals were suprisingly clean. The redline keeps my SHO clean on the inside and the car runs great with it.

I've heard the same thing about people that use Mobil 1. Keeps the inside really clean. I don't think engine cleanliness is exclusive to Redline.

The issue with RL I have is whether the esters are so aggressive that they cause more wear. We see elevated wear metals on BITOG with those using RL.
confused.gif

Thanks MGBV8. My mistake. I was thinking there was an oil higher in ester than Redline. Something called double ester, but can't remember the brand. Maybe you know.

Paul:

Neo claims that their products are made exclusively from a di-ester base. I've looked over their site, and can not tell if they mean all diester or just mostly (but with other things like small amounts of PAO, G-III, etc). Is Neo what you were think of? (See their site here.)

TallPaul: Motul uses the "double ester" language.

I have been looking at archived Motul UOAs. Many are confounded with new engine (near break-in) or bad air filter (high Si), but overall my current oppinion is that Motul trends toward higher wear metals similar to Redline. I have not been able to find repeated Motul entries to see if the wear levels out at some point.

Synergyn is a PAO/Diester/Polyolester based oil. As bruce stated, seems that 10-20% Ester content blended in with PAO is most ideal.

What is the reason for the high wear metals in UOAs with redline?? Buster you have any good answers to this?? Is it the oil not combatible with some engine bearings??

I have no idea, only the ideas thrown around on BITOG for the last 4 years. Scavenging, cleanning or esters competing with anti-wear additives on the surface metal. ????

Yea makes you wonder. It may be from cleaning and debis left after the oil filer causing the bearing wear??? What do you mean by the easters and anti wear additives having issues? May not be the oil itself causing the problem.

Shell and XOM have stated that esters are so polar and attracted to metal that they can displace some of the anti-wear additives causing more wear. I have no idea if this is true or not but it could be one reason, along with cost, as to why most use PAO with a smaller % of esters.

PAO cheap compared to a POE.
PCMO based on PAO or GPIII NEEDS 10-15% of a "solvent" ester to solublize the blend otherwise additives including any VII's will settle out expecially a FM like GMO.
bruce

PAO cheap compared to a POE.
PCMO based on PAO or GPIII NEEDS 10-15% of a "solvent" ester to solublize the blend otherwise additives including any VII's will settle out expecially a FM like GMO.
bruce

For those of you who have not seen it, there's a new thread in the UOA section with Red Line results in the 4.5L V-8 in a Q45 with 175k miles. These numbers look great, esp for the engine's age, and he's been using RL for ~75k miles (after using M1 for the first 100k). This does not prove, but is at least consistent with the theory that RL works well in the long run. Check it out.

If I remember correctly, VW and Audi engines did not show elevated "wear" numbers with Red Line. What do they use? Federal Mogul bearings? How about other car manufacturers?

Anyay, I got RL in my '96 Audi right now and we shall see how a UOA will turn out later this year. I've put 400 miles on this oil, and low and behold, so far I do not notice any oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back