Which HPL Oil For My Next Ram OCI

2021 Ram 6.4 gas. Spec'd for 0w-40. Approaching 2 years and about 4k miles on my current fill of HPL premium Plus 0w-40. Truck is used mostly for towing.

I will send off a uoa.

Thinking about the Super car 0w-40, to use the no VI line, i'd have to go to 10w40. Not sure i want a 10winter for startup.

The is also a 5w50 in the Super car and Premium plus line, for towing, what do you think about that?

Curious to have @RDY4WAR ,@OVERKILL ,@wwillson , @High Performance Lubricants weight in on this.

Thanks.

2021 Ram 6.4 gas. Spec'd for 0w-40. Approaching 2 years and about 4k miles on my current fill of HPL premium Plus 0w-40. Truck is used mostly for towing.

I will send off a uoa.

Thinking about the Super car 0w-40, to use the no VI line, i'd have to go to 10w40. Not sure i want a 10winter for startup.

The is also a 5w50 in the Super car and Premium plus line, for towing, what do you think about that?

Curious to have @RDY4WAR ,@OVERKILL ,@wwillson , @High Performance Lubricants weight in on this.

Thanks.
I'm using the Super Car because I'm a big fan of the Full-SAPS Euro additive package, given its higher concentrations of AW additives. Do you tow at the truck's limits or anything that really abuses the oil that's causing you to consider the 5W-50? If not, then I'd argue any of their 0W-40 are more than adequate. The 5.7L in our 1500 gets worked during the summer and I'm comfortable with the "Overkill" 0W-20 in it.

HPL Supercar 0W-40 is what you'll want, or HP Supercar 5W-40.

In the NO-VII lineup, I recommend the Euro 5W-30 as it has a HTHS of 3.5.

The 10W-40 NO-VII is a new addition. If available, I would recommend that with the Euro add pack over all of the above. You're in NC, same as me. Don't get hung up on the 10W rating.

Do you tow at the truck's limits or anything that really abuses the oil that's causing you to consider the 5W-50? If not, then I'd argue any of their 0W-40 are more than adequate. The 5.7L in our 1500 gets worked during the summer and I'm comfortable with the "Overkill" 0W-20 in it.

I can't find mention of the 6.4 gas engine being turbo or GDI. Does that mean neither?
No only towing about 7k lbs. Tows it easily.

The 6.4 hemi is neither turbo or GDI.

I have a 19 5.7 ram unlocked pcm with 8 lbs of boost I ran 5-20 signature till 20 k now I run 5w30 signature but if I can’t have it garaged I use the OE block heater I installed. 0-40 I have used in my 14 merc diesel.

Would that 180f thermostat, not make the ecm run the engine rich ?
I installed a 180F Mishimoto racing t-stat our 2016 RAM 1500 5.7 in 2021, and for three years I've bene towing with and only used cheap gas, and never had an issue with the engine running rich.

Yes it would, it's designed to a certain temperature. You would better off upgrading the radiator is heat was really an issue and adding an air to oil cooler if it doesn't already have one. I doubt it is, there is no reason to screw with the factory thermostat or add a catch can.

Yes it would, it's designed to a certain temperature. You would better off upgrading the radiator is heat was really an issue and adding an air to oil cooler if it doesn't already have one. I doubt it is, there is no reason to screw with the factory thermostat or add a catch can.
How many HEMIs have you worked on/owned?

With mine the oil temp rarely rises above water boiling which is important

The PCMO Premium Plus line seems to be geared toward really good low temperature performance, which you really don't need. They'll have more VII and will shear-thin more.

I'd consider the PCMO 10W-40. The HTHS is 4.06 cP (vs the 3.5 cP your engine specs) and the VII content is low. It's pretty much a thin 15W though, so not great for starts much below 0°F.

No, there will only be enrichment below coolant temps of ~ 140 F at the highest. There may still be a slight reduction in engine efficiency with the lower coolant temperatures though.

Keeping your cylinders a bit cooler when towing would probably be a good thing, and if you have an oil-coolant heat exchanger, it will help keep oil temperatures down as well. The condemnation point for HPL oils on long OCIs is often oxidative thickening, which is highly dependent on oil temperature, so cooler oil may help the oil last a bit longer as well.

Why not the basic PCMO 5w-40? HT/HS of 4.2, perfect for towing, change it out every 7k max, I think you'd be set but I know just enough about oil to be dangerous so there's that.

No, there will only be enrichment below coolant temps of ~ 140 F at the highest. There may still be a slight reduction in engine efficiency with the lower coolant temperatures though.

Keeping your cylinders a bit cooler when towing would probably be a good thing, and if you have an oil-coolant heat exchanger, it will help keep oil temperatures down as well. The condemnation point for HPL oils on long OCIs is often oxidative thickening, which is highly dependent on oil temperature, so cooler oil may help the oil last a bit longer as well.

As someone running a 180 tstat, do you have any more info you can share on this? Curious where you got the data that says "only enrichment below 140" as that has been a concern for me as well.

Back