2023 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost Recommendation

Hello.

After the first 1,000 miles, I put a Fram Endurance filter on and put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. However, after reading through BITOG about turbos and specifically the Ford EcoBoost, I am concerned that the Pennzoil is too thin to protect the engine and/or may not combat any possible fuel dilution.

Please offer your recommendations for my new truck. I drive 108 miles round trip daily, 5 days a week on a hwy. Will do 5,000 mile OCI.

1. I want to stay in the grade my warranty requires: 5w30
2. Has to have the starburst on the bottle
3. Needs to meet or exceed GF6.
4. I know Euro is probably best for the 3.5 turbo and I will switch once I am out of warranty.

Give me your choice, please. Thank you!

I like Mobil 1 ober Pennz but it's a personal preference. Pennz is legit so I admit my bias. I have a 15 5.0 but I love the Eco's. If mine, I'd actually do whatever synthetic meeting spec that cheapest (ST, Pennz, Mobil, Hav, etc...) at 5k and use a Fram Ultra for 2 OCI's. My OCI's would be 5k as I fear and shake with potential fuel dilution.

Is this engine a DI/MPI? or all DI?

I'm in the camp of not extending OCI's on these motors. At 5K, I would run any of them really. If it were mine, I would use a 0/5w40 or Euro oil that I wanted and the 5w30 for something else if possible. That way the oil doesn't go to waste but I could still use what I wanted in the motor ;)

Hello.

After the first 1,000 miles, I put a Fram Endurance filter on and put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. However, after reading through BITOG about turbos and specifically the Ford EcoBoost, I am concerned that the Pennzoil is too thin to protect the engine and/or may not combat any possible fuel dilution.

Please offer your recommendations for my new truck. I drive 108 miles round trip daily, 5 days a week on a hwy. Will do 5,000 mile OCI.

4. I know Euro is probably best for the 3.5 turbo and I will switch once I am out of warranty.

I'm sure you could switch next oil change with a Euro 5w30. You'll be putting in a better oil than Ford even requires. I like the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 like a lot of guys here do also.

Hello.

It has to be API approved.
Mobil1 ESP 5W30. You solved your problem. You get API, but more importantly, you get a slew of Euro approvals.

Readily available thicker 5w30s that also carry the Ford spec are Valvoline and Quaker State. As you’re aware Ultra does not. You probably only need API SP and 5w30 to satisfy Ford anyway.

Which lands you at the M1 ESP already suggested if you don’t care about the Ford spec.

Viscosity is only part of the protection package, the Ultra is Shells premium offering it likely doesn’t need as much viscosity to achieve the same or better protection. That said I totally get the desire to want something thicker in the Ecoboost, and I am looking around the same way you are.

I see Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 mentioned a few times. I'm confused though. While everything else in its recent VOA show a strong ad pack, it has a huge amount of calcium--1702. I thought that was bad for direct injection engines?

keep on using pennzoil ultra,its a fine oil ,or go to Amsoil ss 5w-30 and extend your oci with their filters,or Vavoline 5w-30 EP is a very good oil also with fram ultra filter. no need for euro grade oil in your case.

Hello.

Run the thickest 5-30 you can find
Fuel dilution will play a factor into your oil run
Valvoline and QS are probably the top choices for off the shelf thick oils
Run 5K OCI
Enjoy your Ecoboost !!! Fun motors to drive

Royal Purple 5w-30 pcmo is worth a honorable mention in that engine,SP-gf-6 ,dex. gen3 ,,nice and quiet in the engine

as others mentioned, your current fill of PUP is fine, ESP is fine and QS/valvoline are fine. i’m a valvoline fan for off the shelf stuff. everything it goes into is noticeably quieter on start up and hot running conditions.

my choice would be Valvoline EP HM 5w-30 followed by the PUP/QS

Attached is the UOA for PUP 5W-30 & Mobil1 ESP 5w-30. This was for our 2017 2.3L EB Ford Explorer. Both
Pennzoil UOA final jpeg.jpg
oils were fine. The PUP was run slightly longer. Both were run under similar conditions

Back