Is it time for Auto-Rx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '92 Camry has about 195,000 kms(121,700 miles) or so since I got updated on the mileage. I'm not residing in Toronto at the moment. Before I left Toronto, I was doing my oil changes and noticed clumps were running out with the oil while draining. The clumps usually came out at the start of the draining process. Is this sludge that everyone is talking about? Am I in need of Auto-Rx? Note: oil used was Q-State 10W30 since new and changed to QS HM in '02. Changed every 3-4 months which ranged from 3744 miles to 4368 miles. Thanks for your time. Suggestions welcomed.

If I saw what you describe, I would cr@p my drawers
grin.gif
- but that doesn't mean it's immediately severe
wink.gif

I think short of opening her up, an oil analysis may speak to you.

But do the nice safe AutoRx thing and you won't sweat BB's.

Clumps of material flowing with the oil? Very worrisome. If those clumps of stuff accumulate enough to cover the oil pump pickup screen, you've trashed that engine.

I'd do the two stage Auto-Rx routine and be sure to change the filter before adding the A-Rx...maybe also install a new filter halfway through the first cleaning because you know there's lots of junk.

Ken

[ July 26, 2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Thanks for replies everyone. The clumps from what I remember were soft, gritty, and slimy. Very comparable to soft mud. The car runs great and proper maintenance has been top priority for this car. Is the QS the blame?

[ July 28, 2003, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: Employee#08 ]

Clumps? try opening the oil fill cap and removing the dipstick to allow air to take the place of the oil as it is draining!

Soft, gritty, slimey? Did you "notice" the clumps or did you actually handle them?

If it were clumps, fish some out of the drain bucket and take some pictures.

Well guys,

I'll be the first one to broach it...if I were changing the oil as faithfully as Employee #08 and I was getting clumps
shocked.gif
, I wouldn't use that oil anymore!!!!! (This presumes the engine itself is not doing wierd things.)
gr_stretch.gif
I would do an AutoRx cleaning (and depending on what came out of the oil pan and the filter on the two applications [over 100K], I might do a third bottle) and I would get as far away from QS as I could. I'm not trying to start a "QS sludges engines rumor," I just would have no confidence in it anymore.

[ July 29, 2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
Clumps? try opening the oil fill cap and removing the dipstick to allow air to take the place of the oil as it is draining!

Soft, gritty, slimey? Did you "notice" the clumps or did you actually handle them?

If it were clumps, fish some out of the drain bucket and take some pictures.

Thanks for the recommendation of removing the dipstick when draining. I always remove the dipstick since I learned to change oil. I noticed and physically rubbed the substance on my fingers and came to my conclusion of soft, gritty, and slimy. I like to do another oil change on the car again but I'm no where near Toronto. Taking pics would solve this mystery for sure. At the present time I can't take pics.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Well guys,

I'll be the first one to broach it...if I were changing the oil as faithfully as Employee #08 and I was getting clumps
shocked.gif
, I wouldn't use that oil anymore!!!!! (This presumes the engine itself is not doing wierd things.)
gr_stretch.gif
I would do an AutoRx cleaning (and depending on what came out of the oil pan and the filter on the two applications [over 100K], I might do a third bottle) and I would get as far away from QS as I could. I'm not trying to start a "QS sludges engines rumor," I just would have no confidence in it anymore.

The clumps started in '02. The clumps went out with the oil for three times in '02. Even the last oil change before I left T.O., the clumps were evident. I knew this was strange since my Maxima doesn't do this. QS could be the problem but who knows. An UOA would give a little more insight to this issue. Wish I was back in Toronto to solve this problem. I've been searching and reading the links on Pennzoil dino which I am leaning towards for the next oil change. I will have to tell my sister to change oil brands on the change. The Pennzoil is having good numbers on this board.

[ July 29, 2003, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: Employee#08 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back