I know Ford makes the best trucks, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
is their new Ecoboost 3.5L V6 that much more powerful than GM and Dodge V8s? I know the V6 is boosted and all that, but I thought the bigger displacement V8s would at least be equal in performance. They even used the highest differential ratio on the Chevy.

I didnt know that Ford makes the best trucks? I would have to say they all have thier plus's and minus's. Now after watching that vidieo, I find that almost impossible to believe. I have a Hemi and pull about 10,000 lbs regularly with it. That thing will take off like its not even back there(7-8 mpg though). They have a 5.4 Ford at work and it isnt even comparable to the Hemi for power and that 3.5 trashed it. If that 3.5 Eco-boost runs that good, That is truly a incrediable break through.

Last edited:
The Ecoboost motor seems impressive so far. Pickuptrucks.com says they will be doing a similar test soon. It will be nice to get some independant data as well.

It's not just power though. The Ecoboost has an impressive torque curve, and a well engineered 6 speed transmission.

I think the background music kicks bum.
thumbsup2.gif

Seriouly though, I'm a Ford guy, drive a '03 F150 ex cab FX4 5.4L. 260HP & 350 ft/lbs. She did quite well pulling my trail Jeep with a full cage, 38's, etc (probably in the low 4K lb range), plus the trailer and spare parts out to Moab. The only issue I had was when I hit I70 in the Rockies. I had it pegged and was able to maintain 50-55mph. The other guys in my group with N/A gas engines had an easier time, but they had newer trucks with 6.0L GM's. The guy with the Cummins Dodge's didn't bat an eye.

I think I'm going to have to see more and do a test drive before I pulled the plug on a 3.5L tow rig. Even if it was turbo'd.

Twin turbos and direct inject fuel is how its making all that power. I dont know, I know thier demo is holding up, but I see a maintence/breakdown nightmare similar to thier 6.0 Diesel now, very much a possibility. Think Ill keep the old fashioned Hemi with the Lifetime warranty.

I like my 5.4 on my 04 F150, but I LOVED my 6.0 gasser in my 03 2500HD Chevy. I towed a 24' enclosed trailer with 7,000 lbs for work and it felt the trailer but if you pushed down on the gas a little I could easily keep up with traffic. And driving on the highway was easy. Miss that truck

Hoping it is that much better than the current Ford V8 truck lineup as when I was with a friend shopping for full size trucks 2 years ago the Fords were so underwhelming unloaded they got crossed off the list. I'd be okay with a V6 truck if it sounded okay.

The more I think about it, I really cant see the merits of this engine, except for Ford to brag about it getting the power of a V8 from a V6, reality is it also gets the same fuel milelage as a V8. Fords 4.6 modular motor if they tweaked it could probably produce the same amout of power. My wifes Lincoln has the aluminum 4.6, same one they put in the Mustang(Not the engine in Lincoln Signatures), anyhow it is 275 hp, its also a 2002, I think the new ones are more with programming upgrades. So anyhow it gets 16 around town and 24 on a trip, the same as the 3.5 Eco-boost. Car and driver said the 3.5 they tested got 16 everywhere. We all know the 4.6 is bullet proof and it doesnt have all the maintence prone goodies like direct injection and twin turbos, so tell me what is the advantage of a v6 running full tilt to a v8. I have to say I think this is more of a advertising hype than anything, to draw people in with the V6 line. I would not pay more for the 3.5 EB if I was buying a Ford F-150. Even though it makes more power, I would have to side with the reliability and decent power from the 4.6. This 3.5 defientely wont be a engine for those that are not maintence minded.

Those vids are just commercials.

I have direct experience now with 3 Ecoboosted V-6's and the best mileage reported is 18. Lowest is 16.

The whole DI thing is going to get interesting. Wonder how those valves look after a few years of towing a big trailer?

I love the idea of a mighty mouse motor but you can't help but fear for it's longevity.

I know that it's a commercial but it is impressive, if the engine can perform that well it should be a big success. I think that it also speaks to the durability of today's engines in general, by the way what oil they using in that eco-boost?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I LOVED my 6.0 gasser in my 03 2500HD Chevy.

I hear ya! I've got the HO version of the 6.0L (345hp) in my 2006 Sierra Denali. Tows my my RV like a dream.

Ford promised the performance of a V8 with the economy of a 4 cylinder in the 1979 Mustang Turbo.
21.gif

using a 6cyl to work is nothing new.

How many industrial applications, heavy trucks, etc... were powered with Ford 240/300s, Chrysler 225s, Chevrolet 250/292s...etc...? quite a few.

And in what makes Ford the best truck? Arguements could be made that put the Dodge firmly in first - or Chevrolet/GMC, or Toyota. All the current full-size trucks are excellent in their own rights.
I've gotta give Ford credit for trying, but I bet in the real world I don't see them succeeding in getting significantly better gas mileage than the very good V8s in the other brands.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I have direct experience now with 3 Ecoboosted V-6's and the best mileage reported is 18. Lowest is 16.

EcoBoost fuel mileage is going to be very driver dependent. If you can keep the engine out of boost it is going to get very good fuel economy, if you are constantly flogging it it will drink gas like a large V8.

Even if it had tied the other two trucks it would have been a 'victory' for Ford. Ford are putting out some impressive products.I'll be buying one in the Spring. I certainly won't be considering anything by Government Motors.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

EcoBoost fuel mileage is going to be very driver dependent. If you can keep the engine out of boost it is going to get very good fuel economy, if you are constantly flogging it it will drink gas like a large V8.

Even if you stay out of the boost, it's still going to be trying to move 5000 lbs. City mileage will never be good on it. Freeway should be decent though.

They should report the overall efficiency of engine designs. That would at least give people an idea of whether the engine is actually a technological breakthrough or whether they're blowing smoke.

If for example the overall efficiency of the Ford V8 motor is 10% and the new turbo V6 is 20%, Ford could definitively say under the same driving, the V6 engine is more fuel efficient.

i'd wait for the 2nd or 3rd year of that model before diving in. Who knows what awaits problem wise(if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back