2018 F-150 XL 3.3L GDI vs 2014 Ram 1500 Tradesman 3.6L Pentastar

I was going to link the article but now I am unable to find it, but apparently ford was very familiar with the corrosion issues and reached out to alcoa and spent literally millions to perfect the pickling process to ensure this would be a success.

I can only tell you my experiance at my state auction of rot bucket trucks, that the chevys, pre alumimum fords, and dodges are all rotted out. Pre 2015 fords had white paint that would peel by the sheet. Magically the 2015+ aluminum bodys still suffer from frame, brake line, and wiring rot, but the bodys are pristine. White paint still intact in full. Here in pa we pour on the salt by millions and most 7 year trucks are already to be scrapped by their 10th year.

Are they using the liquid stuff where you're at? They use it heavy on the mountain and over the border in Maryland on every road. That stuff eats everything around here.

My local area is still mostly rock salt and grit, but the interstates have both. I would bet the brine and calcium chloride gets spread all the way from NY across into PA.

UPDATE:

I have officially sold the RAM and kept the F150. Gunna miss the 24/25 MPG the 8spd and 3.21 axle gave. Had to take a bath on only $300 but other than that broke even.

Went to a few more auctions since my last posting and ive been watching the 2015+ like a hawk, and happy to report even the most field beat clunkers still have no corrosion. Some do have very poor condition frames. Seems like 2008 was the last year for good metal. Ford and others must have hooked up with another vendor as the frames really started rotting after that.

I thought I would have missed the 4 full doors, but discovered by accident that the 2018 rear door folds all the way back and out of the way for easy loading of the rear cab space.

Overall very happy thus far.

Back