The Danger Ranger - 2003 Ford Ranger 2WD 3L 5spd

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, my 19 year old son just bought himself his first vehicle. It belonged to the son of a coworker of mine, so we know it has been well looked after. It's a bit rough aesthetically (has a sweet dent on the driver side fender) but is solid body and frame-wise.

Comes with two sets of wheels. Winters with steelies are on it right now, has aluminum wheels with all-seasons that need to be swapped on.
4E4C4958-5D96-49AD-B0E5-33E21BA35797_1_105_c.jpeg

Needs:
- muffler and tailpipe
- rear springs (one of the leafs is broken)
- shocks
- power steering fluid changed
- headlights cleaned up

It's a step-side with a fibreglass box (which is mint, and has a bed liner).

He's been driving my wife's 1500, so this will be his first experience with driving manual on the street (his ATV is manual). The trans shifts perfectly and the truck drives like a dream, so I think he'll really enjoy it.

As most old-timers on here know, I was always a Ford guy until I became friends with my Jeep/Dodge/RAM dealer owner, so this is definitely in my comfort zone to help him with. My first vehicle I ever bought was a 1997 Ford Explorer (same platform) with the 4.0L OHV. He's never turned a wrench on a car/truck, but has done tons of work on his ATV, so this will be his initiation into wrenching on his own stuff. I'll donate some oil from my stash and some M1 ATF for the power steering flush.

Owned a 2000 with an auto and the similar 2.5 not the 2.3. But both are solid. The trans went nearing 400k but the rest of it was falling apart so i kicked it. They're solid trucks so this is a good buy, doesn't seem to need much. The broken leaf spring is odd. I've tortured my rangers rear suspension and it never gave me an issue. Never even changed the shocks in the 15 years i had it.

Cool truck. Wonder if it has the 3 freeze plugs that swell and shrink. The old Mazdas had them, and they could let the fluid out requiring a new slave cylinder I think. Otherwise should be good with that engine. Just something to check.

I have a teen son who had a 3L Ranger. Speaking from experience, the rear end is squirrely especially in snow and rain. Unfortunately, ours didn't last very long -- he rolled it going too fast on a dirt road about a year after he got it. No injuries, but totaled the truck. :(

I have a 98 ranger. Had one of the middle leafs in the pack break once. Rock auto had a replacement middle leaf and it worked great. Maybe its a common issue?

I have a 98 ranger. Had one of the middle leafs in the pack break once. Rock auto had a replacement middle leaf and it worked great. Maybe its a common issue?
Yup, that sounds the same, it's one of the middle ones that broke. New springs from Rock Auto are cheap, so we are just going to do both sides and the shocks.

I love these Rangers and the ones before them. He got lucky on the color of this too. Love it. Manual is a plus. I almost got a Ranger as my first truck but the guys dad decided not to sell it so I eventually found my Mazda that’s pre Ford era. Can’t wait to see the updates on it. I remember the first time I drove my truck which is a 5 speed I accidentally done a burn out trying to pull out and a cop was behind and I slung gravel all over his cruiser 😂. I got lucky on that one he didn’t stop me.

I remember getting one while down in Florida for a week long rental. They were having great promotion on them, something like 40% off. I think it had the 3 liter engine if I'm not mistaken. I remember it being the smaller engine compared to the 4 liter.

I'm still on my fourth.
I have enjoyed all of them; although I have liked some better than others.
Still wish they made this size truck.
However, I understand the reasons they don't.
Great first vehicle.

Should of joined the S10 world, but Rangers are good trucks as well, certainly a good truck for a someone's first vehicle, go down to a local pick n pull grab a fender and get some rattle can color match and clear coat, wont look 100% perfect but will be a hell of a lot better.

So, my 19 year old son just bought himself his first vehicle. It belonged to the son of a coworker of mine, so we know it has been well looked after. It's a bit rough aesthetically (has a sweet dent on the driver side fender) but is solid body and frame-wise.

Comes with two sets of wheels. Winters with steelies are on it right now, has aluminum wheels with all-seasons that need to be swapped on.
View attachment 167921

Needs:
- muffler and tailpipe
- shocks
- headlights cleaned up

He's been driving my wife's 1500, so this will be his first experience with driving manual on the street (his ATV is manual). The trans shifts perfectly and the truck drives like a dream, so I think he'll really enjoy it.

As most old-timers on here know, I was always a Ford guy until I became friends with my Jeep/Dodge/RAM dealer owner, so this is definitely in my comfort zone to help him with. My first vehicle I ever bought was a 1997 Ford Explorer (same platform) with the 4.0L OHV. He's never turned a wrench on a car/truck, but has done tons of work on his ATV, so this will be his initiation into wrenching on his own stuff. I'll donate some oil from my stash and some M1 ATF for the power steering flush.
I love the Ford 3.0L with a 5 speed manual. I had in a 1991 Ranger that I bought new.

View attachment 167921

Needs:
- muffler and tailpipe
- shocks
- headlights cleaned up

Looks like a good looking truck. Very nice blue color.
Can you share the odometer reading and also the cost of the truck.
Just wanting to get a feel for how much one of those go for as compared to a new Ford Ranger.
If they are really low priced compared with a new one, then used is definately the way to go even if someone has the money for a new one.

Yep its the vulcan all the power of the 4 cylinder and the fuel economy of the 4L.
besides that they were generally good engine for their time.
Fuel economy in my 1991 was 19 city and 25 highway. The 5 speed manual made merging on to highways a breeze.

Back