New Truck - Go with Diesel or....Gas model? Ford 3.5 Turbo took a dump.

They (the mechanics) would choose the V8 because most mechanics working on your truck would be old school minded “turbos are bad” I’m set in my ways type of people. The only thing they know less about is oil

There are who knows how many turbo platform vehicles out there at 100k+ miles. It’s not some new technology that we are still seeing play out. It’s not even the turbo that is the issue on the vehicle in question.
According to Ford.. it "was" the turbo. And yeah... We are still seeing it "play out". You can ask a few of my other friends that purchased turbocharged vehicles and found themselves in the repair shop. (Both Ford and GM products). Many old school mechanics will tell you they have seen tons of "tech" come and go... "New" isn't always "better". In fact, I'd venture to say that newer technology is implemented to cut costs or meet some mandate vs. being "better".

Anyone else get through this and think the winner here was really the dealer?

They sold your buddy a new truck (with a Turbo that they swore they didn't want) and all the fun issues a modern diesel comes with, and took in an in demand used truck that Ford will pay for warranty repairs that they now get to resell... All based on an independent repair shop crazy high estimate that kicked the whole saga off.

Bet the dealership is the one really grinning ear to ear...

. (I told him I would never have purchased a F150 with the Coyote V-8. Turbos and that boosted engine are a joke for long term.)
That's laughable. The 3.5 is not the Coyote and the Coyote doesn't have turbos.

The fix for an owner who didn't bother to do normal fluid checks is get a new truck?

Fix the truck and check the coolant more often in the future.

They sold your buddy a new truck (with a Turbo that they swore they didn't want) and all the fun issues a modern diesel comes with, and took in an in demand used truck that Ford will pay for warranty repairs that they now get to resell... All based on an independent repair shop crazy high estimate that kicked the whole saga off.

Probably true but I've found with most people these days, the truth, although they don't want to say it; they just want a new vehicle! Nothing against buying new but I feel like people have a tendency to make excuses why they need a new vehicle instead of just saying I want a new one.

Overall I've heard mostly great things about the 6.7. I hope your friend has success with it and thank you for this very detailed thread 🍻

OF course. That's what they do. Happens every day. Welcome to the world.

Probably true but I've found with most people these days, the truth, although they don't want to say it; they just want a new vehicle! Nothing against buying new but I feel like people have a tendency to make excuses why they need a new vehicle instead of just saying I want a new one.

Overall I've heard mostly great things about the 6.7. I hope your friend has success with it and thank you for this very detailed thread 🍻
Thanks for that. Well... He's (Buddy) got the money and the means to pretty much buy what he wants. He could have repaired it or... went back and forth and back and forth with the dealer.... (Who wants to do that?) Warranties are great "IF" they are not disputed. Based upon what was done at the first shop and what the dealer said they would cover.... the decision was made to get a new vehicle. It's a business truck also.

The things I have learned from this thread?

1. People will do what they want..when they want....and How they want.

2. Some of you here are loyal to your brand and believe everything rolling off the assembly line is better than it's predecessor.

2. Some here believe one you set-out with a plan... it cannot be changed.

Time IS money to my buddy. It may seem like the dealership "won" (As some have noted.) but.... Do we really know if they pulled apart the engine to see everything wrong? Doubt it. Bottom line.... He's happy. I'm happy for him. Dealer is probably happy.

Everyone is more knowledgeable and the world goes round and round....

The Dealership is absolutely the winner.
AND the talk about turbos being "newer tech is non sensical. They have been around since 1925-and widespread in Europe before Ford made a decision to go with them. There are millions of Ecoboosts on the road-accumulative with billion of miles on them. New tech-unreliable-what a joke!

Three things in this thread are almost certainly false:
1. The truck was well-maintained (questionable)
2. The turbos were failing at 57k (doubtful)
3. The dealer was honest with their assessment once they found a potential customer plus trade-in (almost certainly false)

Guess we can say we’re glad it’s over? How long til OP’s buddy has issues with his new Powerstroke? Taking bets now… 😂

J/k

Update - Last one...

Well, this is the final update. Yesterday, my buddy was offered a smokin' deal in the 2500 series 6.7L Diesel Super Duty. The numbers clicked and he's now an owner.

The dealership offered him way more money for his truck and came down on the 2500. Knowing and learning from this whole saga has taught him to be much more observational and not to go strictly with a "schedule". As for what happened with the warranty...

The service writer informed him that his turbocharger(s) were on their way out. (Covered). He also didn't mention anything about the other issues at-hand and the didn't have half of the independent shops issues problems listed. My buddy didn't want to open a can-of-worms because of the deal they were giving him.

Soooo... he decided to start fresh and move forward. Perhaps they know or knew all along. Tough to say. I'm just glad it's over. We all can speculate here on this and that... Bottom line is there are multiple factors involved here and at this point, the only take-away is to be on top of maintenance etc.

Thanks to all that contributed with the pros & cons etc. Ultimately, it's his 'dime" and choice. I (My opinion) still am going to shy away from any newer "turbo" technology for the sole reason of avoiding complexity. (when possible.) I realize many of you love your forced-fed engines and don't understand why there are so many that don't. In the end, it's about what works for "you".

Thanks guys.
Ford F250 … 2500 is GM & friends 😷

Three things in this thread are almost certainly false:
1. The truck was well-maintained (questionable)
2. The turbos were failing at 57k (doubtful)
3. The dealer was honest with their assessment once they found a potential customer plus trade-in (almost certainly false)

Guess we can say we’re glad it’s over? How long til OP’s buddy has issues with his new Powerstroke? Taking bets now… 😂

J/k
1. Truck "well maintained". Subjective. Sure... I am sure it was oil changed and problems addressed as they arrived. Was it given 3k OCI's and coolant flushes every year?? No. Is that normal for 'most"... I'd have to say yes. Most of the guys on this site are not your normal maintenance types.

2. Ford service department says the turbos are failing. Are you and I going to say no they are not failing?

3. Dealership didn't come looking for a deal... My buddy did. The dealership obliged. They were not pushy at all.

4. It's over. If anything falls apart now, it won't be because of lack of maintenance. That's for sure.

He’s gotta be a happy camper in that big truck 😜
I honestly thought he was going for the 5.0L. I refrained from giving him my 0.02cts because, after all... it's his money and his choice. He's built a very successful business and become very successful in his field. He does not sweat the small stuff and well... everyone has the right to do what they want. Who am I to tell him otherwise?

Me...? I just like older vehicles and like maintaining what I have. Now...this Super Duty... It's nice. VERY NICE. I'm not a diesel fanboy, but this thing is a cruiser and is quiet. Very nice truck.

Reactions: 4WD
The Dealership is absolutely the winner.
AND the talk about turbos being "newer tech is non sensical. They have been around since 1925-and widespread in Europe before Ford made a decision to go with them. There are millions of Ecoboosts on the road-accumulative with billion of miles on them. New tech-unreliable-what a joke!
Yup... tell the Titan submersible guys your thoughts on "new tech". Oh wait.... you can't.

I’m guessing you’re referring to Motorcraft Full Synthetic made by ConocoPhillips and South Korean S-Oil. Don’t even bother. Consumers can just get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic from Walmart for 25 bucks.
Yes, I was referring to Motorcraft. A large percentage of car owners still believe they should be following every recommendation in their owner's manual. So a recommemded oil brand / type could steer millions of owners to that oil. It's quite possible that the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is about the same as SuperTech All Mikeage Synthetic blend which sells for about $16 for a 5 quart jug. Ford is selling theirs on Amazon for a huge markup at $10 a quart, and those owners who follow their owner's manual are actually buying it at that price. The part of this that is troubling is both the profit being made off of the loyal owners, and also the timing chain wear that happens with this oil during the recommended 10k oil change interval.

Back