GT's Running Volvo thread. The 00 XC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
And yes, everything on this car looks original...

Meaning "never been touched"? On a 12-year-old-car, is that supposed to be a good thing?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And yes, everything on this car looks original...

Meaning "never been touched"? On a 12-year-old-car, is that supposed to be a good thing?
smile.gif

QP, some of the cars I have had were so chopped up and rusted and censored that I actually am really in dreamland to have a nice Volvo where I can Leatherique the seats, ARX the engine (5W-30,) have the T-belt done, change the ABS.. and get the brakes done. Also Mothers Back To Black, etc etc.

This car maybe sat, maybe not.. 131,000 miles on a year 2000 with right about 1000 miles on it since we got it, and more on the way.. Praise, everywhere, for such a nice condition car. (Hence my interes tin Leatherique, T-belt, etc etc.. the band $$ will help, though it gets smaller every performance.) Who knows?..........

Nice condition car?

Are you defining the cars condition on nice leather seats rather than completely neglected and poorly maintained mechanicals?

The only reason this car is still goin is because it is a large engines Volvo, they do still go bang at some point and the previous owner had passed the grenade onto you with the pin pulled but held in place with some gaffer tape. And due to the fact this will stop the imminent risk of explosion you need to remember the pin has been pulled and now you have it in your hand.

Originality is a good thing in a low miles barn find about to undergo a full and thorough rebuild. Not on an expensive Euro executive car that has suffered a decade of neglect and abuse.

In over a decade with the Emergency Services in London guess what vehicles tended to be involved in massive unexpected accidents? That's right cars that had been neglected for a long time till the inevitable brake failure or suspension component failure resulted on complete loss of control. The worst accidents are always those were those involved lose control completely, such as young drivers, drunk or drug drivers and catastrophic mechAnical failure of the basic systems such as steering, suspension or brakes.

Your car would very likely get a prohibition notice on it if checked out by a UK Traffic Copper or somebody doing roadside checks with VOSA.

I understand this may be your first big exec car and you have the rose tinted glasses firmly on.

But you seem to be forgetting the very basics and concentrating on adding engine flush rather than oil change and seem oblivious to the fact that this car is somewhat dangerous.

And why would spraying things with silicon make prove a mechanics worth?

Stop worrying about feeding the leather and get the brakes done, you will be are enough in the Volvo but think about those you will hit, they will get hit by a Volvo which isn't as nice as being inside the Volvo that does the hitting.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I am sorry but with that kind of mileage and years, I doubt if the splash guard gets replaced in this region. They all get eaten away by the rust. I am with elje. Besides, GT has other pressing matters where he can use that $112 instead on the two shields.

You're singing to the choir.

I don't think he should be wasting money on hack fixes to the brakes -- the car should sit until it and the T-belt can be fixed correctly.

But if they're going to be done now, at least do them right. You don't cheap out on brake work once you start. That includes new splash guards if these are falling off.

Otherwise, it's a half-backside job that will have to be redone again too soon, which is even a greater waste of resources.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Nice condition car?

Are you defining the cars condition on nice leather seats rather than completely neglected and poorly maintained mechanicals?

The only reason this car is still goin is because it is a large engines Volvo, they do still go bang at some point and the previous owner had passed the grenade onto you with the pin pulled but held in place with some gaffer tape. And due to the fact this will stop the imminent risk of explosion you need to remember the pin has been pulled and now you have it in your hand.

Originality is a good thing in a low miles barn find about to undergo a full and thorough rebuild. Not on an expensive Euro executive car that has suffered a decade of neglect and abuse.

In over a decade with the Emergency Services in London guess what vehicles tended to be involved in massive unexpected accidents? That's right cars that had been neglected for a long time till the inevitable brake failure or suspension component failure resulted on complete loss of control. The worst accidents are always those were those involved lose control completely, such as young drivers, drunk or drug drivers and catastrophic mechAnical failure of the basic systems such as steering, suspension or brakes.

Your car would very likely get a prohibition notice on it if checked out by a UK Traffic Copper or somebody doing roadside checks with VOSA.

I understand this may be your first big exec car and you have the rose tinted glasses firmly on.

But you seem to be forgetting the very basics and concentrating on adding engine flush rather than oil change and seem oblivious to the fact that this car is somewhat dangerous.

And why would spraying things with silicon make prove a mechanics worth?

Stop worrying about feeding the leather and get the brakes done, you will be are enough in the Volvo but think about those you will hit, they will get hit by a Volvo which isn't as nice as being inside the Volvo that does the hitting.

I think we all agree with you bigjl on the prioritization of effort on this car...safety first, reliability next, cosmetics third...and don't waste time and $$ on "band-aid" fixes that will be ineffective or cost more in the long run.

Warning, I am about to go
32.gif

But your post amused me because of your British perspective. Big executive car? Big engine? Hardly...not here...where 5+ litre V-8s are the norm, and several 6+ litre engines can be had. On this side of the pond, an executive car is a whole lot more than a Volvo Estate...here, the Volvo is a mid-size car, smaller than most...and a 2.4 L engine is smaller than most...

My Volvos are looked at as modest in size, moderately expensive cars that last a long time. Practical, in other words, but not executive, and not big, not by any stretch...

Spend a few weeks on the roads over here. You'll be in traffic with 6,000 lb Chevy Suburbans driven by one person, with lifted 1 ton quad-cab, dually trucks running 7+ litre turbo diesels used as daily transportation, with Lincoln Town cars and Ford Crown Vics used by taxi companies, with all manner of truly big vehicles in private hands...and the Volvo Estate will start looking small, modest, and practical to you too...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Big executive car? Big engine? Hardly...not here...

True dat. It's all in the point of reference. The V70 XC can be thought of as a slightly upscale Euro wagon here, but it gets drowned in the army of big honking SUVs and Pick-up monster trucks.

It still feels good, but it will not be going to MAINE without the 1. ABS module (= lights off) and 2. BRAKES. Then we focus on the other thing...

So you're doing the TB after the Maine trip now? You're kind of playing with fire if that's the case. If that TB goes in Maine and you can't afford to get it fixed (new engine) there, you may not be able to afford the tow home either. I would at least check the condition of the belt beforehand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

It still feels good, but it will not be going to MAINE without the 1. ABS module (= lights off) and 2. BRAKES. Then we focus on the other thing...

So you're doing the TB after the Maine trip now? You're kind of playing with fire if that's the case. If that TB goes in Maine and you can't afford to get it fixed (new engine) there, you may not be able to afford the tow home either. I would at least check the condition of the belt beforehand.

G;ad you mentioned.. One of the things I liked about "Nissan dealer for 10+ years turned backyard/driveway/shadetree mechanic" *the guy that wants $100 labor for total back brakes and rotors, talking abotu using tie wraps to hold the calipers up while the car is on jack stands, spraying silicone on the rubber, how to check for warped rotors to see if that was it before putting on the new ones, etc etc, how to unsticl a caliper, etc etc, how to see how the struts are doing, etc etc...
1. New Thrmostat, flush/replace coolant. (BTW, should the "Volvo Blue" coolant be in it? Mine looks yellow..)
2. New UPPER RADIATOR HOSE. Said mine feels thin, probably due to corroding from inside out.
3. Can Visually inspect condition of TB which he says appears to have been replaced, along with the other belt that is visible as it looks new, by removing the 8 or so Torx bolts and being able to see the belt, and check it. Maybe even put on belt dressing, or soap to protect. Or not...
4. Back brakes/rotors
5. Can see if the "driver side rear door window is getting power" because that particular window does not roll up or down.

So. I got a little list.. I will do the ABS before that, as I keep on hearing that you plug it in, the ECU re-learns itself, and the lights are virtually GUARANTEED to go ut, including CEL.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.100001696655273&type=2#!/photo.php?v=412442028822349

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=vb.100001696655273&type=2#!/photo.php?v=412442028822349

I hope the TB has been replaced. If it has, everything else is pretty simple. I'd maybe get a second opinion on the TB to be sure considering it's interference, but if the belt is newer that's great news.

Indeed I do have a slightly different perspective on size.

My Pathfinder is not considered that big in the US I suspect but is certainly at the larger end of the scale in the UK.

The engine size has less significance in the UK IMOH. A V70 Cross Country as the OP's Volvo was named here, the name XC70 came in a few years later, something I didn't know till a friend bought a 2000 V70 XC, and corrected me when I said it was an XC70.

But I digress, large cars like the OP's can take huge mileages wih maintenance and are more at home out of town. These larger cars are better engineered than a lot of smaller cars and so are known to cover big miles.

However in the UK we see lots of people that buy these flash cars after they have been sold by the owners able to look after them properly.

This results in cars with the problems the OP is facing. It is always the basics that are neglected, brakes and basic servicing, they then drive it round town never going far and the car muddles on for years till it all comes to a head with an expensive problem such as warning lights on the dash that can't be ignored. At this point somebody that knows little about cars thinks they have a bargain they can fix up " for cheaps " and a dodgy trader has made a little cash by selling on a liability.

I don't think the OP will get good service from this vehicle and I view the vehicle much like a neglected Subaru, reliable but too complicated to keep when it starts to go wrong and you must know when to call time.

Some cars are a victim of their own reliability and durability, my Volvo has 114k on it and the only thing of note is where my heel rubbed a hole in the carpet due to me driving it to work in boots, if I had put in mats you would never know my car had done more than 50k, no wear on the seats, my old Mondeo was like that, has 200k on it with next owner and interior is still unmarked.

I have always preffered a larger engine or a powerful petrol engine with turbo or super charger but the fuel costs in the UK stop many from having a large engined car these days, fuel consumption was certainly the reason why the V8 Ambulances were replaced.

1. A video of the engine, I forget if hot of cold. I think cold. (Yes, this was before CEL came and stayed on. ABS is prime suspect to get rid of the lights on the dash!)
http://s1051.beta.photobucket.com/user/GearheadTool/media/VID_20120929_115657_zps7cf73d77.mp4.html

2. Two videos, indicating roughly how much we love the car. The first is short, the second is long.. Both indicate our driving joy. And both show when "all the lights come on".. The Trans arrow has stopped flashing, as well.

a. http://s1051.beta.photobucket.com/user/GearheadTool/media/VID_20121012_085211_zps50bf2e9f.mp4.html

b. (I should not have turned up the volume) Caution: Don't watch if you like to see someone videograph their enjoyment of their car. http://s1051.beta.photobucket.com/user/GearheadTool/media/VID_20121012_085257_zps3067385d.mp4.html

... Now.. For those familiar with the area by sight: If you see me driving around.. Throw me a peace sign, or something!
laugh.gif

I am also working at the gas station today. Hint: i am right by a rotary or roundabout (traffic circle.)

bigjl - I see the same effect here (people buying older high-end cars that have been neglected because the price is low...and then getting eaten alive by the cost of repairs), particularly among the sailors in the US Navy...lots of S-class MBs, 7-series BMWs and the like..."no car is more expensive than a cheap Mercedes" is an old adage...

As far as GHT and this car - sounds like he's found a reasonable mechanic to work onthe car (the video discussion was a walk through of the basics of brake maintenance, as if answering the question "how do I fix this?").

If the Timing Belt HAS been replaced, as GHT's mechanic believes, that is a huge relief, both in $$ and in reliability worries. GHT - don't put anything on the TB itself...none of that stuff (soap, belt dressing) will do anything to help longevity. The belt will last longer if it is simply kept clean (cover intact) and the oil leaks are repaired quickly.

Next reliability area (remember, safety first: fix the brakes, reliability second, cosmetics third...) would be the flame trap on this car. Volvo PCV systems (AKA Flame Trap) are known for plugging up with sludge if the car has not had the oil changed using the correct specification (ACEA, not just viscosity)...and given all the other neglected bits on this XC, I would place it in this category...a plugged PCV system will cause all sorts of oil leaks to spring up as the pressure forces its way past the seals in the engine, some of which are very difficult and expensive to replace.

Based on what I know so far, after the TB is verfied to be OK, here is my list:
1. Rear Brake replacement (pads, rotors, splash guards, maybe calipers, check hoses carefully.)
2. re-solder ABS module
3. flush brake fluid - use DOT4
4. check PCV operation, clean/repair as necessary - a kit may save you $$ in the long run if it's really bad: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4988/1141...-v70-xc70-turbo
5. flush transmission fluid, since it's DEX III, get 4 gallons of Maxlife on sale, then do it yourself with this kit: http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4808/107945-automatic-transmission-flush-hose-kit - you'll find that the kit is cheaper than the o-rings and clips alone from the dealer.
6. replace angle gear oil - don't bother with Volvo fluid, use M1 75W90 - meets spec and is one third the price. Best way to do this is with a fluid extractor or Mityvac pump. You can drill to make a drain plug, following this: http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/transmissions_driveshafts/awd_bevel_gear_service.html but I have found that a Mityvac works fine.
7. replace the rear differential oil, same as angle gear, you need a fluid extractor and 1 QT of M1 75W90.
8. Tune-up, replace the sparkplugs. Nothing fancy, regular plugs are fine. Clean the TB, replace the air filter.
9. change the oil again - 5W30 synthetic, with new filter, o-ring and drain plug crush washer...Your first oil change has started cleaning...you want to keep that up.

Have the following checked: front brakes, CV joints, (including boots) and driveshafts.

Good car soap and a decent wax is less than $10 at any parts store...wash and wax it some time prior to winter. I've found that Turtle Wax Trim Restorer works best on the Volvo plastic cladding.

Who suggested belt dressing on the timing belt? if that was the Nissan mechanic, his credibility is shot! If you came up with it, you are forgiven for your innocence :)

Too late to edit. I would flush/change the coolant along with the upper rad hose (might as well do the lower while you're at it...) after taking care of the brakes and ABS...you should use Volvo Blue-Green...it's expensive, but since the system capacity is only 8 QTs, you need only buy one gallon of the VBG...

I keep on telling my sons that if you have glowing red light on the dash, it can NOT be ignored and needs to be treated as emergency/critical condition. For Yellow and orange light, we can look at it later and decided if it is important or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back