Any P2 Volvo owners out there?

I pulled 18 codes from a 2006 XC-70 offered for sale at an 'unknowing' garage near me.
There was a "Gear selector lever service needed" message in the text window.

CCM- Climate Control Module
**DD15-Left temperature damper door
**DD16-Damper motor air distribution
**DD31-Recirculation damper motor
**DD32-Right temperature damper motor
**DD33-Damper motor defroster

CEM- Central Electronic Module
**8B01-Position Lamp Relay
**6C45-Antenna Light Ring

DDM-Driver Door Module
**0000- no interpretation listed

DIM-Driver Information Module
**0001-Driving distance

ECM-Engine Control Module
**710B-Immobilizer communication
**720B-ECM
**E003-Configuration fault

PDM-Passenger Door Module
**E101-no interpretation given

PSM-Power Seat Module
**002B-Memory button

REM-Rear Electronic Module
**6A02-Switch central locking motor

TCM-Transmission Control Module
**0094-Communication gear lever control module

UEM-Upper Control Module
**0004-Siren
**0005-Sun roof
**0080-Rain sensor

These are my snap diagnoses:
CCM-Maybe there's crumbled foam in and amongst the doors?
CEM-a)a bad relay, b) a blown little bulb
DDM-I'd just do a reset.
DIM-possibly different tire/tyre sizes confusing 2 or more sensors?
ECM-weak fob battery? weak 12v battery?
PDM-no interpretation given. I'd do a "lock+ unlock 3X reset"
PSM-dirty switch?
REM-dirty/gummy/broken switches?
TCM-THIS is the question
UEM-bad fuse?

No engine / emissions codes...so what do y'all think?

The TCM one is going to take work, perhaps a new shifter or a PNP switch (and I would start with the PNP).

The UEM is probably fine, but the alarm is toast. New module is $250 and under the right front fender liner.

The rest? Clear ‘em. See if they come back.

I would bargain the car down based on the codes, and I would buy it if the body, and interior are good, and it drives OK.

It probably needs front lower control arm bushings, and the upper and front lower engine mounts, they all do.

Agree with @Astro14. if the metals are all good, these are sturdy and long lived vehicles. As you might be seeing, electronics are the achilles heel, but as you get familiar with them they aren’t that bad. I’d have another. In this case, however, the price better be right, because it could take a while to sort out, and dealer rates are not cheap. How many miles? Price? Condition? Evidence of PCV condition? Transmission shifting (Is there a flare from 1-2?).

I'm on my 3rd V70 spanning 20 years.
It has 129K
130K is on the "next oil change" sticker. The oil was gold on the stick.

I was hoping someone pulled the alarm fuse to silence the characteristic random sounding as the battery dies. I know about the fried circuit board within (due to battery leakage). I also wondered if said fuse would knock out the sunroof. I have no clue about the rain sensor. It seems to be a "stripper version" of an XC-70 as it has no switches in the panel beneath the radio, so I was surprised to learn of one being in the car. Does the rain sensor actuate the wipers?

Ha-the washers don't work. The wipers do.

No smoke at the dip stick tube (or oil filler, obviously).

I couldn't get it going fast enough to shift. The selector lever did feel a bit wobbly.

Haven't spoken price yet. I'm going to hand the head man at this dirty shop the neat list of codes. I did erase them.
He mumbled about needing to change the oil and "AWD transmission fluid". I told him about the unit needing a filter etc. for a change and pointed to my V70 to suggest I knew what I was talking about.

In such a situation, I'd love to have a fully charged battery going forward.

Body, good; black leather, good; plastic bumpers, faded; headlight units horribly whitened; only 1 key fob (naturally).
Fog lights work...coolant is a blue based Frankenbrew but still smells of only coolant (good news).
The local community college parking sticker makes me think it might be a family orphan.

I'm thinking $800. If I can use his lift, I'll go for more. I'll bring my own juices.
Anybody know the p/n for a bevel gear maintenance kit? As I recall the Volvo bevel gear fluid is the only one to use.

Thanks....anybody else, please?

If I remember correctly, the CEM on facelifted P2 models were prone to water damage. Not sure if it's the cause of the fault codes but might be worth looking into.

Back