Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max / Comfort Tread Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in these two tires from Goodyear because they pro rate - while no other tire seller any where else in my area will even acknowledge what pro rate means . Your thoughts on these two tires ? The Assurance Fuel Max is a 65K tire while the Assurance Touring is a 80K tire .

Last edited:
My Magnum came with 225/60R18 Assurances. They lasted (legal tread with 70,000+ miles), but did nothing else well. They were LOUDER than the Winterforce snows I ran.

I was thinking about the Fuelmax and even put them on order but canceled. If you read the reviews on Discount Tire they are pretty consistent that these get real noisy after around 25k miles. Some even mentioned tread separation. I was also looking for a touring tire. I ended up ordering the Michelin Harmony from Tire Crawler. Great price, no tax, $70 rebate right now.

Originally Posted By: Tones
I was thinking about the Fuelmax and even put them on order but canceled. If you read the reviews on Discount Tire they are pretty consistent that these get real noisy after around 25k miles. Some even mentioned tread separation. I was also looking for a touring tire. I ended up ordering the Michelin Harmony from Tire Crawler. Great price, no tax, $70 rebate right now.

Because thousands upon thousands of Prius , Fusion , Cruze owners drive around with loud tires which separate after a few years right ??? I am willing to bet most of those customers havent necessarily maintained everything on their vehicles which affect tire wear. We see it all the time, cust will come in, buy $150/ea tire , we get the wheels off, tie rod is loose, we inform them and explain the effect it will have on the new tires and they still decline the repair. Same cust comes in 6 months later " My tires are LOUD " , we pull the car in, same tie rod still loose and the whole tire has uneven wear.

Im not the biggest fan of the Fuelmaxes, but other than an occassional tire requiring alot of weights to balance, neither we nor our cust have noticed any of the afore mentioned issues.

"raises hand"

My Cruze came OEM with the FuelMax tires. They're great in the dry, a bit noisy with 14k miles on them (had winter tires on for 8k miles over the winter), ride okay, roll forever, and I'm glad for my snow tires in winter. Wet performance at 45 mph is okay, much faster and the tires get squirrely.

I'd not get another set.

I put Assurance Fuel Max tires on my Grand Prix. They handled horribly for the 1st 5-10k miles. They had a real springy feel when you made a steering manuver. Since then they have been fine. I'm not overly impressed with the grip and they stil have fairly poor steering response. They do get good fuel economy, ride fine and have been very quiet. I think I have between 35-40k miles on them now with plenty of treadlife.

The Assurance Comfort Tread Touring are also a fairly low rolling resistance tire but seem to be much better as far as steering response and typical owner happiness based on reviews I've read. I quite possibly will get these next time.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Because thousands upon thousands of Prius , Fusion , Cruze owners drive around with loud tires which separate after a few years right ???

Yes, I believe most of the reviews were from Prii owners, some Cruze too, pretty uniformly negative. I decided there were better choices for my money.

For my Buick Century there were not too many choices in tires at GoodYear so I went with the Fuel Max's . My GoodYear dealer pointed out I had a bad right tie rod and a bad left front wheel bearing which I took to my mechanic BEFORE buying the tires . Mechanic said GoodYear dealer was correct so I had those items fixed and then went back to GoodYear and bought the tires . Not to get off topic but why spend $600 + on tires if your front end has worn components ? So far Fuel Max's are fine - rated for 65K miles and I hope to get 40K ~ 45K through proper inflation , 7500 mile rotations and fairly easy driving pattern ...we'll see .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back