So I got the Michelin Defender 2

Never trust the sales person. They are incentivized to sell a particular brand or tire.

Defenders seem to be made for the longest tread life possible. There will be compromises when you do that. So I am not surprised there is squirm or increased harshness.

A lot of tire rack tests are also complete trash like that X-Ice test.

They do like 3 or 4 test and results are inconsistent with more reputable tire testers. If the differences are milliseconds how can they even Accurately test such differences?

Last edited:
Repeating myself here, but we just had a surprise snowstorm.
Wife drove to work, took forever, tons of cars off the road.

She encouraged me to cancel dental appointment, but I wanted to see how the tires would do.
They are freaking brilliant.
Over nearly 4 decades of driving, other than Blizzaks on a friend's truck, I've never felt so planted in the snow...in a Honda Accord!

Bob

I have Michelin Defenders T+H on my 2018 Mazda3 sedan, they are pretty worn out now and need to be replaced soon.

They are hard yes, and they get more noisy over time, and even harder, which is normal due to heat cycles over time.

My car is not that heavy and has a stiff suspension, I will probably got for a tire rated for 600 to 700 instead of 820 ish like the Defenders were. I drove a Hyundai Kona awd last fall, that car had some Nexen tires on it, cant remember the model, but I was impressed on how smooth and quiet those tires were and how they absorbed bumps so well for a lower priced tire.

I don't think I will buy Defenders 2 for my car, they are even more expensive than the T+H, there are many good options out there that will do just as well, if not better, for less money.

Put the Michelin Cross-Climate 2 on my wifes' 2018 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD - solid performers - only knock is the humming, but it's tolerable.

We replaced RT43s with CC2s last fall They track a lot better and are quieter. We still run XIce-Snow tires during the winter, but after they wear out, we are going to run the CC2s year round. I did notice a drop in mileage, but a lot of that was summer vs fall. Now that spring is here, mileage has increased by around 2 mpg.

We replaced RT43s with CC2s last fall They track a lot better and are quieter. We still run XIce-Snow tires during the winter, but after they wear out, we are going to run the CC2s year round. I did notice a drop in mileage, but a lot of that was summer vs fall. Now that spring is here, mileage has increased by around 2 mpg.
Seeing how one has a more conventional tread pattern (RT43s) and the CC2s do not-it would make perfect sense for them to track better.

Back