Goodyear's reputation

I was just thinking about how Goodyear has a negative reputation to where no one really seems to recommend them on here and at what point they acquired the status as they to date have outlived all their domestic competitors in terms of being independent (not owned by tire companies from outside the US) by.a few decades (which if nothing else says they were at least doing something right). I was also curious on theories as to why their product has fallen short (what corner are they cutting basically).

I will say in my own experience I had excellent results with long life and respectable ride quality their older lines like the Goodyear integrity and Eagle GTII getting around 70 to 80,000 mi out of a set. They were decent in the snow, rain, and were relatively quiet. As far as where it went wrong for me was with the eagle LS2s which seem to last only 50,000 mi, spun with no effort in any condition, were loud, yet This line continued after those had been dropped for most vehicles. I haven't experienced the more recent versions of the assurance but I know both my father had a set of assurance triple treads and they from day one we're noisier than a set of mastercraft courser ( knobby treads), hydroplaned easily, and really weren't all that outstanding in snowy conditions, and we had to replace them at 45,000 miles. The other people I've known that have had assurance didn't have any outstanding experiences.

Some of the cars that I've test driven that came with The current Eagle line you can tell a dramatic difference between the brand new ones versus ones that have a year or two in a around 20,000 mi. .

Has anyone had any similar experiences with they were good at one point but then after a certain time they became bad or vice versa?

I really enjoyed my old Goodyear Assurance Weatherready tires. My only gripe was that after 50k-ish miles, despite having some tread life left, they got extremely noisy. All told, I'd buy them again if the price was right. The only reason I went with a different brand was because they were $21 more per tire than when I bought them before. I got my Contis for what I previously paid for my Goodyears.

I think the best tires made by Goodyear are Coopers. GY made a serious tactical mistake a couple of years ago with a policy which can't be discussed here. I won't buy their products but I do like the blimps.
Why is that and where can one find out what that is?

Skip the shallow launches into lower space or deep dives to see sunken ships.
Charge people to fly WWI era planes and shoot down unmanned blimps.
Waaaaayyyyy cheaper and more fun.

Goodyear makes good swings! Haha

In my experience with a couple sets of Goodyears (came on used cars I bought) is they get very noisy as they age. I have a set of Michelin Defenders from 2015 that are night and day quieter than 2017 Goodyears.

The sets of Goodyear tires that I have owned have been good products at fair prices. That's how I make purchasing decisions. I don't care what the company supports or doesn't support. I also drink beer that tastes good and is a good value and eat at that chicken place that got all that flack 10 or so years ago. I try not to let the TV tell me what to be mad about.

Goodyears at one time were the factory tire on a lot of American cars. A lot of times, those tires weren't the best GY had to offer. I think people remember "the set of Goodyears on my Achieva that didn't last 15,000 miles".

Last edited:
Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are very well regarded in the RV world. I put Goodyear Trailmark tires on the Xterra 1.5 years ago and they've been fine. It's a value tire but USA made.

They banned a certain type of hat (and other related attire) that angered a certain other group of people.
Yeah, Goodyear said about it:
the screenshot was not created or distributed by the company’s corporate offices or part of a diversity training class. However, it also stressed that it does ask its workers to ‘refrain from workplace expressions in support of political campaigning for any candidate or political party, as well as similar forms of advocacy that fall outside the scope of racial justice and equity issues.'”
but a Tweet once tweeted will never be taken back.

Reactions: STW
Cheapened Goodyears from Walmart definitely torpedoed my view of the brand after several bad experiences. Ironically I think the Douglas brand made by Goodyear is a top recommendation for a budget tire.

Unable to find the Michelin CC2s I ended up spending real money on some Assurance WeatherReadys for the wife’s Edge and as mentioned above I really like them. And the Mustang came with Goodyears that seem fine so far, plenty grippy anyway haven’t had much weather to deal with yet.

They banned a certain type of hat (and other related attire) that angered a certain other group of people.
It was more than that. You can google what the Topeka GY plant decided (on direction from corporate, Akron) concerning 'zero tolerance' acceptable or not acceptable. Since I don't want to hijack this thread or get it locked, I'll leave it just there.

I ran a set of Goodyear reliant’s on my 19 Mazda 3. They out performed the OE Toyos’ by far in everything. Water performance, a lot quieter, and so on. I paid $500 for the entire set mounted, and balanced. I can’t give a long term review because I traded the car in for my Sierra after about 6-8 months after I bought the tires. Manufacture warranty was 60,000 miles if I remember correctly.

Back