Goodyear's reputation

I bought 2 Dakota's in the mid 90's and early 2000's and they each came with Goodyears.

Wore like Iron, Traction like Iron. They were borderline unsafe on wet roads, light snow, heavy braking, etc.

Some people here say not to judge a brand by OEM tires, but they decided to put their name on them. Meanwhile Honda Pilots came with OEM Michelin LTX M/S2's, and those tires were so good owners still rave about them, and bought them over and over again.

Cheapened Goodyears from Walmart definitely torpedoed my view of the brand after several bad experiences. Ironically I think the Douglas brand made by Goodyear is a top recommendation for a budget tire.

Unable to find the Michelin CC2s I ended up spending real money on some Assurance WeatherReadys for the wife’s Edge and as mentioned above I really like them. And the Mustang came with Goodyears that seem fine so far, plenty grippy anyway haven’t had much weather to deal with yet.
Have to agree, the Viva3s didn't feel like an upgrade at all. The Reliants are a very solid upgrade, quieter and softer with better grip - I have faith they'll be closer to achieving the mileage rating far better than the Viva3s

Cheapened Goodyears from Walmart definitely torpedoed my view of the brand after several bad experiences. Ironically I think the Douglas brand made by Goodyear is a top recommendation for a budget tire.
I’d agree on the Douglas tires from WM. Bought by necessity and was pleasantly surprised.

I’ve seen a variety of sets of higher end GY tires run successfully on a range of cars. Like any brand, tires are made to various specs. We know that WM forces brands to cut costs, and even with that, I don’t have much bad to say…

Never bought the cheap versions and never had any issues with them ...
Too many (my brand) fan boys here have to bash everything else out there except what they selected ...
For a long in Europe, I swore by their snow tires. Only bought GY Ultra Grip.
But, the quality went down. It is inconsistent. Where is it cheap and where is it expensive? Bad or good?
Michelin has Uniroyal here for those purposes, or Tigar in Europe. Continental has General and Barum.

I have a set of WM Goodyear reliant tires on our Tuscon, don't like them.

I have a set of WM Kumho LX on my Escape, they are a much better tire, and they were cheaper than the goodyears.

Couldn't gift me Goodyears.

My friend owned a tire shop for years, EVERY time they had issues with a tire (bubbles or tread separation), it was chinese tires or goodyears, almost never anything else.
The traction is horrible.. in 2018 I bought a new Civic Si, came with new Goodyears and it would hydroplane at any opportunity, even on 3rd gear it couldn't catch traction in the rain.
Switched to Sumitomos, no more hydroplanning and it could get traction in 1st gear in the rain now.

Horrible tires.

Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are very well regarded in the RV world. I put Goodyear Trailmark tires on the Xterra 1.5 years ago and they've been fine. It's a value tire but USA made.

Yeah, Goodyear said about it:

but a Tweet once tweeted will never be taken back.

Glad they got it together. I blew multiple new Marathon GY radials on a trip to Tenn and back.
One of them the entire tread came off like a re-tread, was still holding air.
That was a while ago, but when a product was that horrible, it does taint you.

At work we could get either Goodyear or Michelin at state bid pricing. The Michelin were around 10% more than the Goodyear. We began keeping track of wear during our annual inspections and cataloged replacements. The Michelin consistently achieved a minimum 20% longer life that the GY. This was over a wide range of vehicles from a passenger car to class 8 trucks. All of them driven very hard. The cost of changing out tires and the time it took for the vehicles to be taken out of service to do it were also factors.

It's been a few years, but I had a '96 Jeep Cherokee that needed new skins and I thought I would try Goodyear Wranglers on it. Jeeps and Goodyear Wranglers go good together, right? I wanted to buy four tires at a large chain, but they only had three, so I purchased those three and the last tire I got about a week later at another store. The Jeep had no mechanical problems and the tires were rotated on schedule. It's hard to describe the treat on these Goodyear Wranglers, but the knobs on each tire looks somewhat like the state of Texas. Before 20K were put on the tires, one tire and one tire only had rubber separation around each of the knobs. The tire didn't wear funny, the air pressure was the same as the other tires, it just had big cracks around each knob.
When I took it back to the store for inspection, the shop foreman asked if I had purchased the road hazard warranty. I had not and I told him so. I was then informed that Goodyear would do nothing about this problem because of no extra warranty was purchased. I told him that it was a manufacturing problem with the tire, not a problem with anything that hazardly happened while I was driving it. He agreed, but it didn't matter. I asked him if he would feel safe riding in this vehicle with this tire on it. "Oh, heck no. It's a bad tire." A near identical photo of my tire problem was hanging on the wall of the customer waiting room and it specifically said that it was a tire problem. I was told to pound sand.
I realize it could have happened to any brand, but the Goodyear policy was pathetic. I guess I should have went up the ladder and pushed it harder, but I just determined to decide with my pocketbook and tell anybody who will listen what I think about Goodyear tires.
So know you know why I won't ever buy another Goodyear and I'm now avoiding Cooper tires also.

Op, research the Ford explorer/Goodyear issue . That’s when Goodyears rep really took a hit.

Yea-Explorer drivers basically running around on under inflated tires-which caused the issues. Yes-the OEM tires had a low pressure from the factory-and when the tires were neglected and never checked-and the pressures went even lower-that's when the issues came in.

I finally ended up with Goodyears on both of our cars- 2009 & 2018 Honda Accord Exls. The 2009 came with Michelin tires. They rode like concrete and cost a lot more than others to replace. Went thru other brands and discovered that we both like the drive/ride we getting from the Goodyear Assurance Maxlife.

I've never had a problem with Goodyear tires. As a matter of fact I've had nothing but excellent experiences with Goodyear, Hankook, and Michelin.

In my younger years my first radial tire purchase was Good year tiempo the first all season tire. Great all around tire compared to bias ply tires but not good In
the snow had to switch to snow tires. My next set was Good Year integrity by far the worst tire I ever owned in any sort of rain or snow actually freighting to drive.

FWIW, I have had several sets of Goodyears during the years in Jeeps, Audi TT, Mondeos etc. Never had a single problem with tyres.

As soon as Mustang's suspension is sorted I will put a set of Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 on it.

Back