Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter as of March 2024 - Is it still a good choice?

Where did I say wavy Purolator filters are "high quality"... I'll be waiting here for your response showing me where I've ever said that. ;)

If you think I'd not be a bit upset if Boss removed their Poly mesh "Smart Fusion" backing & started causing wavy pleats, Like Fram Ultra's have, then your really stuck in Fram land.
You're always raving about how good they are, and think they are one of the best choices because M+H gives out Spec Sheets, even though most (like the Boss) show some pretty bad ISO efficiency specs. So are you now going to bad mouth non-backed Purolators with wavy pleats? 😂 I've seen plenty of wavy Purolator and Purolator built filters. Wavy pleats don't matter except on C&P beauty contests, lol.

Last edited:
Basically the same, but the Endurance has a higher use rating of 25K miles, so a bit higher holding capacity than the Ultra. All the specs are on Fram's website. If you want wire backed media then get the Endurance if Walmart carries the model you need.
I've read so many of your posts on oil filters and really respect your viewpoint.

From all the tests that you've read about, which oil filter has the highest % of filtration at 15 micron and smaller particles
and sells at stores like Walmart or Amazon?

I've read so many of your posts on oil filters and really respect your viewpoint.

From all the tests that you've read about, which oil filter has the highest % of filtration at 15 micron and smaller particles
and sells at stores like Walmart or Amazon?
Without doing a full blown ISO 4548-12 test (like Ascent did) where you measure efficiency down to 5u - 10u, you won't know exactly how the efficiency vs particle size curve falls off below 20u. But 15u isn't that far from 20u, so I'd pick any of them you like that are ISO rated at 99% (or 99+%) at 20u. Fram's website shows the Endurance, Titanium and Ultra all at 99+% for >20u on their website.

Last edited:

Yep….

Welfarized it….. To a certain degree …

Then they come out with one that replaces it…. With the similar construction as the OG one and extremely similar specs too.

To be fair the later Ultras have been looking better and better as time as gone forward. The latest one be cut open here did look very good.

And everyone has raised prices a fair bit…

And yeah the Purolator ones had way, way too many tears in them several years ago. Plus the ones that did not tear looked bad too.

Though again it seems that Purolator filters have been doing better the last few years too. Though their Boss filters are extremely well built they are not highly efficient where it matters most between 10 and 20 microns.

That Fram Endurance filter will likely be 95-97 percent at 15 microns vs the Boss filters which typically are only 50 percent around 20 microns.

Strange enough but Premium Guard seems to be the only manufacturer that can make filters that look perfect after running 5 to 15k miles without the wire backed media….

And the Carquest Blues that are fairly well priced at $7.79 everyday price for the 84356 filter is quite good. Made by PG…

Even Napa Gold filters in my area now are PGs… But $12.99 for the same exact filter at AAP that cost $7.79.
First brands hasn’t messed up the champ labs style ecores yet. They can last 20k in the wife’s van and after 10k in my ram they look perfectly fine. I do agree otherwise with what you’ve said about most other non wire backed brands not holding up well.

First brands hasn’t messed up the champ labs style ecores yet. They can last 20k in the wife’s van and after 10k in my ram they look perfectly fine. I do agree otherwise with what you’ve said about most other non wire backed brands not holding up well.
Are you getting them from Rock Auto?

I rather have E-cores than louvers on their Endurance line. Not having to worry over QA spot checking at walmart.
Maybe they will eventually. Some reports of Fram EGs having an eCore center tube now. I wouldn't mind an eCore cage (done right of course) with metal end caps design on the upper tier filters.

the most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail and take out the engine.

Maybe they will eventually. Some reports of Fram EGs having an eCore center tube now. I wouldn't mind an eCore cage (done right of course) with metal end caps design on the upper tier filters.
Some TRD filters i seen cut open have Ecores instead of perforated center tubes.

the most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail and take out the engine.
Yep, really it just needs to function properly and be able to catch any potential large particles. Efficiency starts to matter more when extending an oci. I think a lot of aftermarket manufacturers have benefited greatly by convincing the consumer otherwise.
Is the MP11665 coming out with wavy pleats?
No not wavy but a slight twist sometimes. Considering how long it is they come out looking fine.

Preface by saying, since FB cheapened the media, have not used the current Ultra XG. Really no intention to either any time soon. That said, having viewed many post use c&p here, I'd call it still an acceptable choice, for ~10k oci. Personally, would not run it the 20k rating.

Want a "Fram" to run to 20k miles, the Champ Labs made FE the better choice, imo.

Preface by saying, since FB cheapened the media, have not used the current Ultra XG. Really no intention to either any time soon. That said, having viewed many post use c&p here, I'd call it still an acceptable choice, for ~10k oci. Personally, would not run it the 20k rating.

Want a "Fram" to run to 20k miles, the Champ Labs made FE the better choice, imo.
I switch back and forth from Fram XG to No Mobil 1 filters on my 2001 Sport Trac with 145000 miles. No Problems.

I switch back and forth from Fram XG to No Mobil 1 filters on my 2001 Sport Trac with 145000 miles. No Problems.
As I said, current XG an acceptable choice. Like many here though, having purchased and used the OG Ultra, by comparison hard not to be disappointed with the current one. Kinda went from a great spin on filter, to a rather pedestrian option, imo.

Back