Spec sheets for Purolator One & Boss, Mobil 1, and Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters that fit Honda/Acura, not sure how to interpret some specs

I am not going to argue for M-H here. But wouldn't they only make the filter to the specs given by Mobil? I'm not sure why Mobil would have across the board, lowered their efficiency requirements just because they changed suppliers for their filters.
Maybe Mobil did lower the specs. Maybe they are using a media that will take the 20K mile use rating? If there is a warranty claim, the customer has to contact MANN+HUMMEL Purolator.

Already explained for the most part above, but adding a little info. Others have been confused on this before reading these Spec Sheets.

1.1 shows the the "nominal" flow rate that section 4.1 is referring to. 24 mm^2/s is the Kinematic viscosity, and those units are "centistokes" ... so 24 cSt is the viscosity. So the 14 kPa of dP is at a flow of 11.35 l/min and a viscosity of 24 cSt.

View attachment 210664
View attachment 210665

This all makes sense. So the FRAM not specifying the centistokes means it's not possible to compare apples to apples.

The Purolator Boss with 16kPa at more than 2x the nominal flow rate of the others, that seems like a massive reduction in flow restriction compared to the One and M1.

This all makes sense. So the FRAM not specifying the centistokes means it's not possible to compare apples to apples.
True ... you need flow, viscosity and the associated dP with those parameters to make comparisons. But like I mentioned above, all these oil filters only have a few PSI of dP difference at pretty high flow rates. It's not worth trying to pick an oil filter of known good brands just based on the dP vs flow. If it was some off-brand filter of unknown origin then you might be more concerned about the flow vs dP curve.

The Purolator Boss with 16kPa at more than 2x the nominal flow rate of the others, that seems like a massive reduction in flow restriction compared to the One and M1.
Yes, the numbers indicate it has less dP vs flow. Keep in mind that 16 kPa is only 2.32 PSI, and 14 kPa is 2.03 PSI. Even if the that was doubled at 4 PSI, your oil pump won't care and it will still be sending the same oil volume through the filter and engine. That's why positive displacement oil pumps are used on engines.

I asked Fram what viscosity they tested their pressure difference at, and this was their reply. It seems they were all tested per ISO4548, so perhaps they are apples to apples.

1711632603401.jpg

Well they didn't reduce efficiency for the 102A, which is the one that fits my Highlander & Sienna. I just got an email reply from them.

M-H Filter.jpg

Maybe Mobil did lower the specs. Maybe they are using a media that will take the 20K mile use rating? If there is a warranty claim, the customer has to contact MANN+HUMMEL Purolator.

Back