Fram XG9972 and CH9972 oil filters contrasted

I went to change the oil in my 2015 Toyota Camry, 2.5l 4-cyl. I have always used the Fram XG9972. I pulled out the old filter, you can clearly see the markings as XG9972. Look at the comparison to the XG9972 I just bought yesterday at Walmart. What are you thoughts? Did Fram change the build? 56 pleats vs 31 pleats?
End of 2022 build compared to early 2024 build?
full
full
full
full

Compared to the WIX 57047XP with 44 pleats:
full
This new filter was a production change & removed the wire backing that was previously present. The new product should have good enough support & work well for your application. If wire backing is still wanted then you'll need to buy the Fram Endurance from Walmart if they make one for your Toyota.

The new one likely has the sprayed-on synthetic layer over synvblend medie “featured” in the new Ultra. Actually the old version looks a lot like an Endurance or Royal Purple-wire backed white all synthetic media-another cost cutting move, from the looks of it.

It seems like all these Fram filters made all over the world in other places do have unique configurations for some reason.
I have a theory for the different configurations. I'd appreciate feedback and thoughts.

Fram standardizes on the performance of their models of filters and does a very good job declaring what that performance is to the end customer. But how they achieve it globally can vary based on the process and materials available within each region to optimize delivery and production costs. Even though the SKU is the same, the engineers have provided alternate BOMs to the regions to do this.

In my career, the process of making sand cast parts in plants throughout the world differed because the sand differed region to region. But the final castings all had the same material properties (performance) globally.

Back