Fram Extra guard oil filter for a Harley

Does anybody use their Extra Guard filters for motorcycles? The Extra Guard is a good car filter , does that hold for their bike line of filters also ??

For my bikes, FRAM says to use a PH6022. I’m currently running an OG FRAM Titanium FS3614 on my 2018 Tri Glide. I’ve also used an OG FRAM Ultra XG3614 on my ‘89 Electra Glide for years. Better filtration than the Extra Guard and no issues. If you compare the specs of the PH6022 to the 3614 they are almost identical, including the bypass valve setting.

while not the same I used Fram Orange cans & Autolite White cans (commercial account filters that saved me $$$) on an '06 Honda Shadow 750...no issues during the time that I owned it from 2015-2017 doing 2-3 oil changes/yr (less miles than recommended oci due to shearing via clutch)

Also, friendly reminder that if the PH6022 works, then the 3614, 3600, and 8A will all have the same threading, same relief valve setting (12psi), and no appreciable difference in gasket. The 3614 is short, 3600 is long, and 8A is long and fat wide.

As for my Harleys, I use the HD filter for the 5 micron rating - the Fram 6022 is rated at 10 micron so might be ok??

Last edited:
No question in my mind that the Harley Davidson OEM filter is more robust, I just think the price is really getting out of hand, but anyway, I put a Fram on last fall, and one other time in my bike 10 year history I have used one, they seem OK to me and certainly convenient.

One big plus I like about the Harley filter is Harley makes the special filter wrench that gets around the sensor on the Harley Davidson Rushmore engines.

Another great filter that I think competes dead on with the Harley filter is WIX 57148
I think they even point out it’s the same micron rating.

The funny thing is I ordered on two separate occasions WIX off Amazon and they came in dented and that’s how I ended up buying a Fram online from Walmart or something like that at a better price so I’ll probably keep using the Fram.

The WIX is a bit wider and more of a challenge getting around the engine sensor

Last edited:
Back