Fram Extra Guard ph3506 bypass?

Just purchased a ph3506 upon looking in the boxes at the store all the other filters had the metal leaf spring in the bottom of the can.

The extra guard I purchased has a black bypass valve in the bottom.. Is this something new to this line of filters? The last tg3506 had the same valve in the bottom, never saw this in an eg filter.

I'd think all 3506 variants (PH, TG, XG) should all have a bypass valve in the leaf spring.

Just purchased a ph3506 upon looking in the boxes at the store all the other filters had the metal leaf spring in the bottom of the can.

The extra guard I purchased has a black bypass valve in the bottom.. Is this something new to this line of filters? The last tg3506 had the same valve in the bottom, never saw this in an eg filter.
What vehicle are you spinning the filter onto? If it’s an LS motor, consider the 3675 sized filter. The bypass valve is built into the pan on ls motors from 99-2007 with 13/16-16 threads.

It's not really in the "pan", it's in the filter mount on the block.

Agreed that the filter mount is part of the pan, but the bypass valve is located in the filter mount. Here's the location of the filter bypass valve on some LSx engines.

1712853457918.jpeg

Per Fram's website, none of the 3506 filters show to have a bypass valve. What's the date code on the one you bought? Possible they have changed things, but not updated their website (wouldn't be the first time).

3506 is known as a full flow filter "almost" none come with a bypass valve except for the tg3506 I bought last year.. Something new from fram? That filter was A3 date..due to the block bypass in LS engines a bypass in the filter hasn't been necessary in GM LS applications..?

The Champ Ph44 I'm replacing (nice filter) had a metal stamped leaf spring in the bottom. ACDelco also uses a metal leaf spring in this application, no bypass valve from my experience.

A4 is the first numbers on the ph3506 with bypass, will post pics tomorrow.. I assume that filter is built this year? The other filter (bought 2) without the bypass I installed on a 5.3 tonight. The other with the by pass will be on an ls1.

Been using fram for years ultra, tg, and now eg.. Last year was the first bypass valve in the TG3506. Ultras never had a bypass in the bottom of the can in my use of 3506 filters.

Last edited:
3506 is known as a full flow filter "almost" none come with a bypass valve except for the tg3506 I bought last year.. Something new from fram? That filter was A3 date..due to the block bypass in LS engines a bypass in the filter hasn't been necessary in GM LS applications..?
The term "full flow" doesn't mean it lacks a bypass valve. It simply means all the oil from the pump goes through the filter, regardless if it has a bypass valve or not. As opposed to a "bypass" oil filter setup that bypasses a fraction of the oil through a high efficiency element that doesn't go through the regular full flow filter.

Don't know why the TG had a bypass valve. Production error? The Fram website shows the TG3506 doesn't have one - same with the other 3506 models. Maybe they're changing it. Might contact Fram through their website and ask them what's up with that, since their website show no bypass valve.

The term "full flow" doesn't mean it lacks a bypass valve. It simply means all the oil from the pump goes through the filter, regardless if it has a bypass valve or not. As opposed to a "bypass" oil filter setup.

Don't know why the TG had a bypass valve. Production error? The Fram website shows the TG3506 doesn't have one. Same with the others. Maybe they're changing it. Might contact Fram through their website and ask them what's up with that.
Interesting, last time I looked at the TG filters everyone of them had a black bypass valve that was last September. However today out of probably 12 extra guards only 1 had the bypass. All had the orange silicone adbv.

ZeeOSix I've been reading your posts for years, what is your current consensus on the fram extra guard?
Thanks

Interesting, last time I looked at the TG filters everyone of them had a black bypass valve that was last September. However today out of probably 12 extra guards only 1 had the bypass.
Maybe what you're seeing is the newer ones not having it now like their website shows.

ZeeOSix I've been reading your posts for years, what is your current consensus on the fram extra guard?
Thanks
the EG has good efficiency, and has a silicone ADBV. It works fine for normal oil changes, but I'd limit it to 5-6K miles. Don't enter it into any C&P pagents, lol. ;)

Back