Oil filters at Walmart are getting expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen anyone whose engine failed for using a lower cost filter to save money. 95% efficiency versus 99%, not a big deal to me.
I think the champ synthetic filters are some of the best buys for the money spent. Rockauto has a great price on these filters and they are great filters even of you want to run them a couple oil changes.

Nothing is the same price it was 50 years ago either. Inflation is a cycle - soon prices will freeze, wages will go up, and comparative cost will decrease. Happens every time, over and over.
You just described the problem with inflation perfectly.

Prices go up - whether it be money supply created or supply side created. The wealthy benefit from it first - whether it be access to ZIRP funds you don't have access to, or they get to recoup increased goods sell prices before the workers get a raise. Hence the issue with inflation - it naturally benefits the ultra rich first and foremost.

Look no further than the UAW. They are all proud of there negotiated wage increase - except GM has 3 years of record profits already under their belt so they never catch up. In there case there still luckier than the average worker, because they will keep those raises, the rest of us just get laid off.

So the decline of the middle class continues.

You just described the problem with inflation perfectly.

Prices go up - whether it be money supply created or supply side created. The wealthy benefit from it first - whether it be access to ZIRP funds you don't have access to, or they get to recoup increased goods sell prices before the workers get a raise. Hence the issue with inflation - it naturally benefits the ultra rich first and foremost.

Look no further than the UAW. They are all proud of there negotiated wage increase - except GM has 3 years of record profits already under their belt so they never catch up. In there case there still luckier than the average worker, because they will keep those raises, the rest of us just get laid off.

So the decline of the middle class continues.
Agreed

All "regular" brick store prices are out of control, Walmart included. Fortunately we have stoneauto and junglesite.

I just bought 3 Champion oil filters from stoneauto on closeout @ $0.90 each. Shipping charge did not increase (I was buying other stuff I needed).

Junglesite has Purolator TL line filters for my cars for $2.40 each everyday price, shipped free with Prime.

I will probably never buy another filter in-store unless they decide to become competitive again.

All "regular" brick store prices are out of control, Walmart included. Fortunately we have stoneauto and junglesite.

I just bought 3 Champion oil filters from stoneauto on closeout @ $0.90 each. Shipping charge did not increase (I was buying other stuff I needed).

Junglesite has Purolator TL line filters for my cars for $2.40 each everyday price, shipped free with Prime.

I will probably never buy another filter in-store unless they decide to become competitive again.
+1

My local Advance has the tech level (not even Extra Guard) Fram filters for $9.99, and last I checked a 5qt jug of their house brand synthetic was close to $40. I think they are just banking on people who go in there either being desperate and needing parts right away, or being older and not knowing how buy parts online.

I wonder how the Fram Endurance would have performed? I just bought two of those.
in the photo posted of Ascent’s results. The royal purple is the same filter as the endurance (produced by champion labs) so results will be the same.

DUDE, the Fed interest rate was near ZERO for like ten years.... the Feds were in BIG trouble, we needed higher interest rates, cause the next downturn cycle, you cannot lower interest rates to stimulate the economy if they are already at ZERO.
They HAD to get them up.
Believe me, I KNOW. There was a pretty large amount of stimulus money from COVID, both in direct payments & PPP loans, combined with pent-up demand from several years of a shut-down economy, that contributed to high spending (high demand+low supply=inflation). Now the worker shortage is piling on.

Believe me, I KNOW. There was a pretty large amount of stimulus money from COVID, both in direct payments & PPP loans, combined with pent-up demand from several years of a shut-down economy, that contributed to high spending (high demand+low supply=inflation). Now the worker shortage is piling on.
I agree with you completely - except the worker shortage. More people currently private sector employed than ever.

I haven't figured out how to correlate this yet - it seems amis. Possibly bad data - its all based on payrolls and surveys and manipulation. If you have any ideas I would love others input?

1706620383777.jpg

I don't believe there is a worker shortage. If an employer is having trouble hiring either their pay is too low compared to the market salary, their benefits aren't good, or their hiring process is flawed.

I don't believe there is a worker shortage. If an employer is having trouble hiring either their pay is too low compared to the market salary, their benefits aren't good, or their hiring process is flawed.
Definitely a "quality" worker shortage in my market. I have a team of nearly 40. Turnover is extremely high, and I'm plagued by employees who think their full-time job is part time or seem to have an expectation of having to do little to nothing while they are here.

This is for entry level positions, but our pay is above average for the market and our benefits are off the charts compared to other shops. I find many young people do not care a whit about benefits however.

Definitely a "quality" worker shortage in my market. I have a team of nearly 40. Turnover is extremely high, and I'm plagued by employees who think their full-time job is part time or seem to have an expectation of having to do little to nothing while they are here.

This is for entry level positions, but our pay is above average for the market and our benefits are off the charts compared to other shops. I find many young people do not care a whit about benefits however.
I agree, I'd say there is a quality problem across the board in all positions though sadly. I'm fortunate to work with a great team, but I can see other departments are really struggling with the quality of both entry level and leadership positions with high turnover in both. The employees who are quality, usually end up leaving due to having to take up the slack from the non-quality employees or being treated poorly by leadership.

+1

My local Advance has the tech level (not even Extra Guard) Fram filters for $9.99, and last I checked a 5qt jug of their house brand synthetic was close to $40. I think they are just banking on people who go in there either being desperate and needing parts right away, or being older and not knowing how buy parts online.
When you try price match with competitors like Napa will give as many excuses not to price match when you are in store but online chat is great on that though.( so need tech savvy to get them orders online and pick up.

Give them a free $1200 smartphone as a benefit and they will work harder. 😄

Well I was in the Walmart Filter isle, and they have added a lot more OEM filters than they used to have also. Notice the Nissan filters for $10.97. Dealer MSRP is 9.00. There worth about 90 cents if you want the truth - but even so?

What's with the prices of those Motorcrafts? :oops:

a purolator pure one would be cheaper and on par with running a motor craft filter at that price.

The FED is already signaling rate cuts. These prices are here to stay.

Where is any perspective on this? Yeah oil filters are getting expensive but even if you go from two $5 filters to two $15 filters per year, that's a whopping $20 extra in a year. People waste $20 or more daily! Buying new vehicles, electronics, expensive coffees, or even carrying interest on a credit card is far more costly in the long run than buying an oil filter about every 6 months. Focus on the BIG stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back