FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TJPark01
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I still don't see an oil that, all things considered is worth using that's better than GC.

What about M1 0w-40?

That would be the other choice. Either is fine but I prefer GC, but it's based on personal preference not science.
I still don't see an oil that, all things considered is worth using that's better than GC.

What about M1 0w-40?

That would be the other choice. Either is fine but I prefer GC, but it's based on personal preference not science.

How about PU 5W-40 euro formula or the Lubro Molly 5W30 BMW longtech oil? they are both LL-01 approved, although not showing up BMW's own site as a north aremican spec'd LL01 approved oil.

How would you guys put those 2 up to GC and M1 0W40?

My first oil change on the car was with M1 0w40, but not really liking the way the engine is sounding. I called the dealer today ,and they said that they always use the Mobil1 5W30 for oil changes on the M54 engines, because that's what it calls for in the manual: either BMW synthetic 5w30, or Mobil1 5w-30 or Mobil1 5W-40(granted the manual is now almost 10 years old). In any case, Not sure if either of those Mobil1's was ever approved as an LL01 spec'd oil, but it seems to me at least that the car/engine ran better with the dealer mobil1 5w30 fill, than my recent M1 0w40.
will probably try GC next, to see how that goes, although I'm still at a puzzle on why BMW says on their page to not use any oils other than SM rated/LL01 oils, while GC still carries an SL rating, and shows up BMW's own page as one of their approved LL01 oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hessam
How about PU 5W-40 euro formula or the Lubro Molly 5W30 BMW longtech oil? they are both LL-01 approved, although not showing up BMW's own site as a north aremican spec'd LL01 approved oil.

How would you guys put those 2 up to GC and M1 0W40?

It's mostly a matter of preference, price, and availability, at least the way I see it. We really don't have any objective and reliable data that would crown one of these as a winner against the others. If changed regularly, I would expect your engine to last forever, regardless which one of these oils you go with. Or at least it will not die due to a lubrication issue.

Quote:

My first oil change on the car was with M1 0w40, but not really liking the way the engine is sounding.

Some people have reported that, at least with earlier (API SJ, API SL?) versions of M1 0w-40. Try a different oil and see if you hear any difference. M1 0w-40 has been running great in my wife's C300, but I've never tried it in my 530i (also M54 engine).

Quote:

I called the dealer today ,and they said that they always use the Mobil1 5W30 for oil changes on the M54 engines, because that's what it calls for in the manual: either BMW synthetic 5w30, or Mobil1 5w-30 or Mobil1 5W-40(granted the manual is now almost 10 years old).

Sigh... the text in some of these owner manuals leaves much to be desired. But I am surprised that a dealer doesn't know any better. What they should be using is an oil that meets LL-01 spec. Basically an ACEA A3 oil that has HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP. M1 5w-30 does not meet these requirements.

BMW_oil_type_by_engine_5_2009.png

Agree that owners manuals, specs, and websites often give conflicting information. Often times it's country or continent specific and getting your arms around what is used in Montana versus Malaysia is not an easy task.
If you are going to subscribe to BMW's OCI's of 2 years or 15k miles, then it's probably critical to use the LL-01 oil in the USA. But if you are a DIY who swaps out the oil at 5-7500 miles or a year, then it probably becomes less important to use a LL-01 certified oil. As long as the muti-grade viscosity range is the same and your OCI's are short, it probably doesn't matter what you use, as long as it's synthetic.
Just to be safe and if your car is still under warranty GC and M1 are readily available, go on sale quite often and can be purchased OTC. Going out of your way to order Lubro Moly or Redline or other boutique oils and paying the massive premium is a waste in my book.

Agree that owners manuals, specs, and websites often give conflicting information. Often times it's country or continent specific and getting your arms around what is used in Montana versus Malaysia is not an easy task.
If you are going to subscribe to BMW's OCI's of 2 years or 15k miles, then it's probably critical to use the LL-01 oil in the USA. But if you are a DIY who swaps out the oil at 5-7500 miles or a year, then it probably becomes less important to use a LL-01 certified oil. As long as the muti-grade viscosity range is the same and your OCI's are short, it probably doesn't matter what you use, as long as it's synthetic.
Just to be safe and if your car is still under warranty GC and M1 are readily available, go on sale quite often and can be purchased OTC. Going out of your way to order Lubro Moly or Redline or other boutique oils and paying the massive premium is a waste in my book.

Couldn't agree with that more, all things being equal my preference is to use the most readily availaible oils at a reasonable price which will which pretty much leaves GC and M1 and for me at least lubro moly too, since there are 3 different parts shops within 10 miles of me that carry most of the popular Lubro Moly products.

I am not comfortable going 12 to 15K on an oil change interval no matter what kind of oil it is and what the manual calls for. The longest I've ever run an oil was around 8 to 10K. on this car that's prob what I'll do, averaging 7-8K miles between changes. I pretty much change my oil on all my cars twice a year, no matter what the mileage is: once in the fall and once in the spring. And I do it myself btw, just cause I like going through ritual of the doing an oil change. something cathartic about it.

Also I do agree that the owners manuals leave much to be desired in terms of acruacy and detail, but saying that only API SM rated oils should be used, while on the next line they are recomeding an SL rated oil (GC) as one of their preferred LL01 approved oils is a pretty blatant contradiction/mistake.

while half a page later it says in a speical note that if you need to add oil between oil changes and are unable to obtain BMW HP syn oil , or M1 or another one the approved LL01 oils on their list you should at least use a fully synthetic oil of same viscosity with an API rating of SJ or higher

Last edited:
I am not comfortable going 12 to 15K on an oil change interval no matter what kind of oil it is and what the manual calls for.

Neither am I, especially when BMW's OCI is the same for a normally aspirated engine versus a direct injection turbo charged version, seems at bit odd to me. Additionally, I think it's important to take the aerodynamic plastic under carriage shield off once every 6 months or so to check for leaks, belts, hoses and visually inspect if there is something amiss, and not relying on the computer to tell you there's a problem.
For example, people rely on the TPMS sensors in their car to tell them when they have low tire pressure. Well, it doesn't work like that, the TPMS sensor goes off when you have critical or dangerously low tire pressure. To drive with optimum pressure is to measure it with a good old fashioned tire gauge. Technology is great and important, but most of it should be viewed as supplemental not primary.

Does anyone know if there was a formula change again with GC when it went from the old Syntec Bottles to the new Castrol Edge with SPT bottels.

I picked up 10 quarts on sale at AZ today and noticed that the new bottles are now SL, SJ/CF, but old bottles are SL, SJ.

Also old bottles say it meets ILSAC GF-3/GF-2, howevever new Edge bottles don't say that it meets that.

Both new and old bottles say "made in Germany" and "European Formula".

I picked up 10 quarts on sale at AZ today and noticed that the new bottles are now SL, SJ/CF, but old bottles are SL, SJ.

Also old bottles say it meets ILSAC GF-3/GF-2, howevever new Edge bottles don't say that it meets that.

As far as I know, it's the same formula. With respect to CF, GF-3, and GF-2, those are rather outdated specifications, and there's probably no reason to bother listing them anymore.

Does anyone know the sulfate ash content percentage of the most recent German Castrol versions presently sold? I wondered if it was similar to API CJ oils as having 1% supfate ash content.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
Does anyone know the sulfate ash content percentage of the most recent German Castrol versions presently sold? I wondered if it was similar to API CJ oils as having 1% supfate ash content.

Since Castrol US does not publish such info, we are really left in the dark on this.

One could assume that our GC is similar to one of the 0w-30 oils in Europe meeting the same MFG specs, for example this one:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...-8HMJJJ%5F0.pdf

It has SA content of 1.0%. But again, we do not know for sure that it is the same oil.

At one point in time, based on VOA results, we thought that GC was the same as SLX LongTec:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...-85KQC4%5F0.pdf

which also has SA of 1.0%, but that was 8 years ago.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass

Since Castrol US does not publish such info, we are really left in the dark on this.

One could assume that our GC is similar to one of the 0w-30 oils in Europe meeting the same MFG specs, for example this one:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...-8HMJJJ%5F0.pdf

It has SA content of 1.0%. But again, we do not know for sure that it is the same oil.

At one point in time, based on VOA results, we thought that GC was the same as SLX LongTec:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...-85KQC4%5F0.pdf

which also has SA of 1.0%, but that was 8 years ago.

if it was 8 years ago, then it would've been the old "green GC"... the catrol Edge 0W-30 they sell in europe has all the same approvals as GC sold here does. they might be the same oil.

if it was 8 years ago, then it would've been the old "green GC"...

Maybe it was 7 years ago. It was actually in comparison to gold GC. I had the SLX LongTec (gold in color) analyzed (VOA) some time in 2004 or 2005. Then soon after someone did a VOA on gold GC and the add packs looked identical. Not exactly an undeniable proof, but it was as close as we could get with a $20 analysis.

Originally Posted By: mason1125
Where can I find Castrol Edge 0W30? I cannot find it at local AZ,ORilley or PP?

only place I've seen Castrol Edge 0W30 (non syntec variety) has been at Advance Auto. check out the Advanceauto.com website...I think they were actually running a special on their 5Q castrol Edge 0w-30 weight jugs last week. it might still be on sale.

Originally Posted By: mason1125
Where can I find Castrol Edge 0W30? I cannot find it at local AZ,ORilley or PP?

only place I've seen Castrol Edge 0W30 (non syntec variety) has been at Advance Auto. check out the Advanceauto.com website...I think they were actually running a special on their 5Q castrol Edge 0w-30 weight jugs last week. it might still be on sale.

Thanks, Hessam! I wish there is Advance Auto in SoCal. I guess I still have to buy 0w30 thru their website.

Advance Auto's website states that their Edge 0w-30 meets ACEA A1 and API SN specs. That can't possibly be GC. Then again, if it's not GC, then what is it? Castrol only sells one 0w-30 oil in the US currently, AFAIK.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/...____#fragment-2

Yet, when someone posed a question whether this oil meets LL-01 spec, he got a response that it does. It is not possible for an oil to meet both ACEA A1 and LL-01 which is based on ACEA A3. Something's amiss...

I know I have seen Castrol Edge with Titanium 0W-30 (not GC) at either Pep Boys or Autozone here in LA. I know this for sure because I was tempted to buy it over GC but didn't because the lack of LL-01 approval. My cars are still under warranty so not gonna risk it.

I know I have seen Castrol Edge with Titanium 0W-30 (not GC) at either Pep Boys or Autozone here in LA.

Are you positive it was 0w-30 and not 5w-30?

I know I have seen Castrol Edge with Titanium 0W-30 (not GC) at either Pep Boys or Autozone here in LA.

Are you positive it was 0w-30 and not 5w-30?

Yes it was 0W-30, but it was just called Castrol Edge, not Castrol Edge with Titanium. This was early when the product just came out, not sure if they still sell it.

So it was in fact ACEA A1/API SN certified? If so, this would have been something very similar to M1 AFE 0w-30. Strangely, such product does not appear on Castrol's USA website. Their 0w-20 meets such specs though. I wonder if someone mislabeled something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back