2012 VW Passat 2.5L Manual Transmission Fluid?

I just purchased my son a 12 VW Passat 2.5L, 5 speed manual. I promptly changed the oil to Belgium Castrol 0w40. Couldn't find any Green GC from my old VW days....I'm a Tesla guy now and haven't been on here for a while....

Anyway, I am looking to change the MT fluid. We live in Ohio, so we get some cold winters. What recommendations do you have? I am leaning toward Redline MT-LV....what's better?

I just purchased my son a 12 VW Passat 2.5L, 5 speed manual. I promptly changed the oil to Belgium Castrol 0w40. Couldn't find any Green GC from my old VW days....I'm a Tesla guy now and haven't been on here for a while....

Anyway, I am looking to change the MT fluid. We live in Ohio, so we get some cold winters. What recommendations do you have? I am leaning toward Redline MT-LV....what's better?
Redline D4 ATF. I am not sure whether VW uses in their manuals ATF like BMW does the last 15 years, but D4 is a favorite in BMW circles. It is smooth in winter, and I use it on track too with no issues.

Redline D4 ATF. I am not sure whether VW uses in their manuals ATF like BMW does the last 15 years, but D4 is a favorite in BMW circles. It is smooth in winter, and I use it on track too with no issues.
redline recommends the mt-lv

Vis @ 100°C, CSt6.5
Vis @ 40°C, CSt29.8
Viscosity Index175
Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76

D4- looks very similar

TYPICAL PROPERTIES​

SAE Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)70W80
Vis @ 100°C, CSt7.5
Vis @ 40°C, CSt35.4
Viscosity Index188
Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, Poise52

redline recommends the mt-lv

Vis @ 100°C, CSt6.5
Vis @ 40°C, CSt29.8
Viscosity Index175
Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76

D4- looks very similar

TYPICAL PROPERTIES​

SAE Viscosity Grade (Gear Oil)70W80
Vis @ 100°C, CSt7.5
Vis @ 40°C, CSt35.4
Viscosity Index188
Pour Point, °C-60
Pour Point, °F-76
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40°C, Poise52
Didn’t check latest MT-LV numbers, but, yeah, makes sense.

The Redline MT-LV and others would definitely have better anti-wear components than any ATF.

NOTE: This list is only a “summary” list of MTFs available in the MTF Lubricant Market. It is not an endorsement nor a critique of any one fluid, nor is it implied that any one fluid will cure problems in MTs that have design problems or those that have excessive wear.

A. These MTL fluids are closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.X cSt@100C (About the same viscosity as Dexron VI ATF) and SAE 70 or so:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,
2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,
3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.
4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC
5. Volvo Manual Transmission Fluid (6.4 cSt) [Recommended for: type M655-speed with 6-cyl. engine, M66, MTX75 and MMT6 and of the type M56, M58 and M59 from and including model year 1996. Meets Ford specification WSSM2C200-D2]
7. Redline MT-LV SAE Viscosity Grade 70W/75W Vis 6.5cst@100°C

B. The next higher viscosity MTF would be the 7.0 to 7.6 cSt@100C versions(SAE 70W75) (About the same viscosity as the original DexronIII/Merc)

1.Royal Purple's Synchromax
2. Ravenol MTF-2
3. Honda MTF
4. VW part number G052512A2
5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid
6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2 ,3
7. Tutelo (Petronus, Italy, Product Code 1402)
8. Penrite Pro Gear 70W75 (Australia)
9. FUCHS Titan Sintofluid FE 75W Manual Transmission Oil. GL-4 75W Gear Oil
10. Redline Power Steering Fluid R
11. RAVENOL STF

Last edited:

The stock fluid is supplied by Fuchs, which is Sintofluid FE 75W

So, you're on the right track with the Redline MT-LV.

Why--what oil properties qualify it meet an MTF?
What does redline power steering fluid meet? so I know what type of answer you are looking for?

I would generically say it has the proper frictional characteristics and provides a gl-4 level of protection but that is right on their website.
Also used with manual transmissions and transaxles like T-5, T-45, T-56 and late-modelBMW, provides a GL-4 level of gear protection

What does redline power steering fluid meet? so I know what type of answer you are looking for?

I would generically say it has the proper frictional characteristics and provides a gl-4 level of protection but that is right on their website.
I have analyzed both.

D4 does not have the level of AW additives needed to meet the GL-4 spec. Nor does it have the proper friction modification chemistry. D4 is a good ATF, nothing more.

Redline Power Steering fluid does meet the GL-4 spec because it has a much higher level of AW components and the proper level and type of friction modification.

I'll defer to your knowledge over the redline website.. Shame it's not accurate.

VW G 052 512 (perhaps)
VW G 052 532 (perhaps)
VW G 052 171 (probably for this MQ250 5F, certainly for MQ350 up to autum 2012)
VW G 052 527 (G 052 171's successor since late 2012, but $$$$$)
Castrol Transmax Manual V 75W-80 (formerly Castrol Syntrans V-FE 75W-80)

I ran them all in several MQ350 6F equipped VWs and Audis. Castrol feels quite close to VW's factory fills (G 052 171 and 527). Transmax Manual V is maginally thicker (due to being 75W-80 instead of 75W or 70W-75), but provides an exceptional pourpoint of -60°C (Brookfield at -40°C of 14000 mPas). While I'd go with Castrol anytime Redline MT-LV is probably a solid choice as well. If RL is easier to obtain than Castrol TM V get RL. Or just check ECS or a VW dealership.

That said, no transmission oil will provide smooth shifting on colder Ohio winter mornings.

Back