VW 508 spec. What's so special about it?

Can anyone tell me what is so different about this oil compared to a regular full synthetic oil of the same weight and viscosity? I'm getting tired of chasing down the 508 spec stuff for my wife's 2019 Tiguan.

Is it a legit difference or just snake oil to please the politicians?

Last edited:
Legit.
the easy way.
order from fcpeuro with paypal (to get free return shipping)

use their free returns on consumables feature.

or go find m1 esp x2 0w20

Can anyone tell me what is so different about this oil compared to a regular full synthetic oil of the same weight and viscosity? I'm getting tired of chasing down the 508 spec stuff for wife's 2019 Tiguan.

Google the Afton specification handbook. Then scroll down until you get to the VW section, then look at all the tests.

VW 508 is one of the tougher specs for an 0w20 to meet, which is why it’s not plastered on run of the mill 0w20s at Wally’s. I don’t know why it is a tough spec but I have noticed on countless UOAs viscosity retention is excellent regardless of brand.

I used to walk in and buy the VW stuff from the dealer for 6 bucks a quart. Planning ahead and ordering it online is probably the most convenient.

VW 508 is one of the tougher specs for an 0w20 to meet, which is why it’s not plastered on run of the mill 0w20s at Wally’s. I don’t know why it is a tough spec but I have noticed on countless UOAs viscosity retention is excellent regardless of brand.

I used to walk in and buy the VW stuff from the dealer for 6 bucks a quart. Planning ahead and ordering it online is probably the most convenient.

$6? Mobil 1 ESP is $13.69 per quart at Napa right now. That's insane

Cross certifications and approvals should not be compared as per Lubrizol but below is an example of typical baseline performance each is required to meet. SP, dexos1 Gen3 and VW508.00. Now, are there SP oils that go beyond the baseline? I'm sure there are, i.e., M1 EP, PUP etc.

Screenshot_20231103_202537_Chrome.jpg

The reality is that Europe has its own auto makers and a higher population than North America, Japan and Korea combined. So the Euro auto makers develop their engine oil requirements and don't need to appease to others. It has zero to do with American politics.

Nothing special. VW just puts out those specs to make you spend unnecessarily. You could substitute water. :LOL:

Just clowning, but people here have said just about the same thing about Asian manufacturers' fluid specs.

Can anyone tell me what is so different about this oil compared to a regular full synthetic oil of the same weight and viscosity? I'm getting tired of chasing down the 508 spec stuff for my wife's 2019 Tiguan.

You mean the dealership does not have it?

I just ordered a case of Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0w30. Almost half the price of Mobil ESP and the spec is 504. Close enough.
You can also get 0w-30 and 5w-30 ESP in 5 quart jugs (both 504 spec) for around $30 at auto parts stores. 0w-20 508 you are stuck buying quarts which is part of the problem.

The reality is that Europe has its own auto makers and a higher population than North America, Japan and Korea combined. So the Euro auto makers develop their engine oil requirements and don't need to appease to others. It has zero to do with American politics.

He didn’t say anything about American politicians. You added that.

Europe interferes in automotive decisions for political goals as much as the US - and MUCH more easily as they have an even less accountable bureaucracy. Glaring example:

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...ive-2035-ban-new-fossil-fuel-cars-2023-02-14/

You can also get 0w-30 and 5w-30 ESP in 5 quart jugs (both 504 spec) for around $30 at auto parts stores. 0w-20 508 you are stuck buying quarts which is part of the problem.
Is more difficult to source easily on a local level in 5qt. jugs. However, if you live near a dealer, you can probably get it in bulk from them. Mine has drums (curiously labeled from Beaumont TX.) of it and it's green. They still sell it for $7.50/qt. and you bring your own container. When I was using the 508 stuff, thats what I would do. Used a clean new 2 gal. container and got 7qts. @ $6.xx/qt. Also, if you want to take FCP Euro up on their Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, Lubri-Moly Top Tec 6200 in 5l. containers is ~$45.

I'm currently using the 5W-30 ESP (504) I got at AZ with Speedperks for $24 a jug in momma's Tig.

Back