FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for answers, really bad.
So I did replaced my BMW 5w-30 oil with Castrol SPT 0W-30 LL01, so then my friend did as well. We did because on morning engine start it could hear valve train noise for couple seconds, so going from 5W- to 0W it seems to me helps. I have V8 so I didn't noticed any power change, but my friend is saying he could feel his car (I-6 none turbo) is heavy on acceleration, same as we tried to use Mobil 0W-40 compare to BMW OEM oil 5W-30. It seems to me BMW OEM oil is not same viscosity @100C as Castrol and Mobil 12.2 and plus, does BMW sell to us cheap oil? If you look at the price for OEM BMW oil is just around 6.25 to 6.50 per qt, that is about price of the blend oils.

So my question is how is important that A3/B3 qualification for BMW engines, if I'm changing oil every 5,000 to 7,000 miles anyway?

Also you take a look at list below viscosities @100C for different type of oil. So my logic is if the first number is important only @40C, then during normal driving and engine at operating temperature the only second number is important for acceleration and ect.
So If you see all xW-30 BMW LL01 oils are around 12.2 and +, which is about xW-40 oils.
But if A3/B3 group is not important then I would like to try Mobil 0W-30, that is looked like more true xW-30 oil.
Please opinions.
Thanks
Castrol Edge with SPT
Castrol 0w-30 viscosity @100C 12.21 BMW LL01
Castrol 5w-30 viscosity @100C 10.70
Castrol 5W-40 viscosity @100C 13.9 BMW LL01
Castrol 5w-20 viscosity @100C 8.88
Castrol 0W-20 viscosity @100C 8.65

Castrol Titanium:
Castrol 0W-20 viscosity @100C 8.6
Castrol 5W-20 viscosity @100C 9.1
Castrol 5W-30 viscosity @100C 9.8

British Castrol
All Castrol 5W-30 viscosity @100C 11.9 to 12.0 LL01 or not LL01
But BMW 0W-30 viscosity @100C 12.3

Mobil
Mobil 5W-30 viscosity @100C 11.0
Mobil 5W-30 viscosity @100C 12.1 BMW LL04
Mobil 0W-30 viscosity @100C 10.9
Mobil 0W-40 viscosity @100C 13.5 LL01
Mobil 0W-20 viscosity @100C 8.7
Mobil 5W-20 viscosity @100C 8.9

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: phlfly
So my question is how is important that A3/B3 qualification for BMW engines, if I'm changing oil every 5,000 to 7,000 miles anyway?

If it's under warranty, why deviate? Also, if you intend to use synthetic, again, why deviate? M1 0w-40 is the same price as M1 5w-30, and GC 0w-30 is the same as Syntec 5w-30. I don't see any reason to deviate from specifications in this case.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If it's under warranty, why deviate? Also, if you intend to use synthetic, again, why deviate? M1 0w-40 is the same price as M1 5w-30, and GC 0w-30 is the same as Syntec 5w-30. I don't see any reason to deviate from specifications in this case.

The reason is I want to increase oil flow, but the only way is go with less viscosity oil. Better flow = less heat, lighter accelaration.

Last edited:
The reason is I want to increase oil flow, but the only way is go with less viscosity oil. Better flow = less heat, lighter accelaration.

Okay, makes sense to me. You could check with CATERHAM as he knows the light oil issue and appropriate products inside and out. GC and M1 0w-40 are still reasonable choices, being a heavy 30 and a light 40, but I'm sure there are other options out there. Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 might be another option, but possibly difficult to get and potentially pricey.

I have several quarts of GC in my stash and have a 98' Contour (basically) with the 2.5L 24v engine. I'd like to use GC in it this winter as the car has had issues with leaks in the past that MaxLife 5W-30 has calmed down and the oil consumption is also way down from a qt. every 3K to about a qt. every 5K.

Does anyone have experience using GC as almost a 'high mileage oil' as in: will the POE content keep seals swelled and conditioned in older vehicles with such issues?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I have several quarts of GC in my stash and have a 98' Contour (basically) with the 2.5L 24v engine. I'd like to use GC in it this winter as the car has had issues with leaks in the past that MaxLife 5W-30 has calmed down and the oil consumption is also way down from a qt. every 3K to about a qt. every 5K.

Does anyone have experience using GC as almost a 'high mileage oil' as in: will the POE content keep seals swelled and conditioned in older vehicles with such issues?

I picked up a very low mileage Honda accord that was leaking from the rear main seal. I cleaned the engine with syntec 5-30WT the syntec just ran past the rear main seal. Then I tried the Max Life for a couple of oil changes. First 10-30WT then 10-40WT Maxlife. The 10-40WT seemed to help. I went ahead and started to run German 0-30WT and now my main seal does not leak anymore. Not sure why? I did run the car hard in the heat so maybe the seal just softened up and decided to seal.

I'm looking for answers, really bad.
So I did replaced my BMW 5w-30 oil with Castrol SPT 0W-30 LL01, so then my friend did as well. We did because on morning engine start it could hear valve train noise for couple seconds, so going from 5W- to 0W it seems to me helps. I have V8 so I didn't noticed any power change, but my friend is saying he could feel his car (I-6 none turbo) is heavy on acceleration, same as we tried to use Mobil 0W-40 compare to BMW OEM oil 5W-30. It seems to me BMW OEM oil is not same viscosity @100C as Castrol and Mobil 12.2 and plus, does BMW sell to us cheap oil? If you look at the price for OEM BMW oil is just around 6.25 to 6.50 per qt, that is about price of the blend oils.

Also you take a look at list below viscosities @100C for different type of oil. So my logic is if the first number is important only @40C, then during normal driving and engine at operating temperature the only second number is important for acceleration and ect.
So If you see all xW-30 BMW LL01 oils are around 12.2 and +, which is about xW-40 oils.
But if A3/B3 group is not important then I would like to try Mobil 0W-30, that is looked like more true xW-30 oil.
Please opinions.
Thanks
Castrol Edge with SPT
Castrol 0w-30 viscosity @100C 12.21 BMW LL01
Castrol 5w-30 viscosity @100C 10.70
Castrol 5W-40 viscosity @100C 13.9 BMW LL01
Castrol 5w-20 viscosity @100C 8.88
Castrol 0W-20 viscosity @100C 8.65

Castrol Titanium:
Castrol 0W-20 viscosity @100C 8.6
Castrol 5W-20 viscosity @100C 9.1
Castrol 5W-30 viscosity @100C 9.8

British Castrol
All Castrol 5W-30 viscosity @100C 11.9 to 12.0 LL01 or not LL01
But BMW 0W-30 viscosity @100C 12.3

Mobil
Mobil 5W-30 viscosity @100C 11.0
Mobil 5W-30 viscosity @100C 12.1 BMW LL04
Mobil 0W-30 viscosity @100C 10.9
Mobil 0W-40 viscosity @100C 13.5 LL01
Mobil 0W-20 viscosity @100C 8.7
Mobil 5W-20 viscosity @100C 8.9

I'm sure you noticed a trend there.. those with BMW's LL spec keep showing higher viscosity than those lighter, without the spec oils, i´m guessing that is because BMW thinks a higher viscosity is ideal for engine protection, hence the higher viscosity of BMW's LL specs..

I've also read a while ago that just by switching from Castrol Edge 10w60 M series spec oil to Castrol Edge 5w30 gave an M5 a 30 bhp increase in power.. but if BMW specs a 10w60 here in Europe for the M series, i think is bit of a gamble switching to lighter oils..

JMO.

So the new Castrol EDGE with SPT now has SPT. What is SPT? Syntec Power Technology? did the formula actually change?

I have been using GC since 2004. It has been working great but was wondering if it leaves a thick enoughf film on parts to protect if you do not start your engine as often as you should. I am using it in my mover that only gets started maybe once month in the winter, also my 2006 only gets driven on tuesdays and thursdays. Does the GC evaporate away? Just something I have not given much thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mason1125
Originally Posted By: Hessam
Originally Posted By: mason1125
Where can I find Castrol Edge 0W30? I cannot find it at local AZ,ORilley or PP?

only place I've seen Castrol Edge 0W30 (non syntec variety) has been at Advance Auto. check out the Advanceauto.com website...I think they were actually running a special on their 5Q castrol Edge 0w-30 weight jugs last week. it might still be on sale.

Thanks, Hessam! I wish there is Advance Auto in SoCal. I guess I still have to buy 0w30 thru their website.

easy to fine GC over here, Autozone or pepboys.

Last edited:
Haven't done the greatest job of using oldest to newest and came across an old hex cap bottle of GC from 08'. Should I loss sleep over it or dump in my lawnmower

I just found some Castrol Edge SPT 0w30, European Formula at Pep Boys. It's in a black bottle.

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
Haven't done the greatest job of using oldest to newest and came across an old hex cap bottle of GC from 08'. Should I loss sleep over it or dump in my lawnmower

It's perfectly fine. My last run of GC was the green formula from 04. Use with confidence
smile.gif

ps, please don't waste it in a lawnmower
wink.gif

I am doing a test run in an 05 Liberty CRD that has a V.M. Motori diesel. The manual specifies M1 0w-40, but this oil meets the same Euro A3/B4 specs and is just as thick as M1 is after it has sheared down to a 30w oil. So far I have been very impressed with how much it has quieted the engine--especially on cold starts. That oligomer component seems to mate well with this motor.

Does anyone here have a lot of experience using this oil in small Euro diesels in lieu of a 40 weight oil?

Just buzzed by AZ after seeing someone mention finding GC "Edge Black Bottle" marked down lower than all of the other Castrol. Sure enough, my local store had it priced at $6.45/qt. It rang up even cheaper at $5.89/qt! They only had (8) qts, so I asked them to verify stock at a nearby store and headed their to get their remaining (12) qts. Turns out their stock was still regularly priced at $8.99. Glad I had my receipt, as they priced it to match while scratching their heads. The bottles were mixed between old Edge and new SPT.

Just a heads-up to check your local stores for a mark-down.

I now have 9 qts. (6 are green) that have the hex cap and are all 02-06.

Today I bought 13 qts. made in 11 and 12....all made in Germany...round cap.

May have to get rid of the old stuff, not sure I want to put 11 yr old oil in the Bimmer.

I just finished off my '05 vintage (only 8 years old). I would use it without hesitation. Shake very well though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back